FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Auto Insurance/Legal Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Uncle Rudder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 1 6/25

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Rudder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Auto Insurance/Legal Question
    Posted: 15 March 2009 at 1:04pm
So I've looked all over the web and can't find this imformation and I'd like to figure this out before I call up my insurance company and make an ass out of myself for not  knowing what I'm talking about.

So here's the skinny, In November I was getting off the snow covered freeway and the car infront of me spun out, and I tried to avoid hitting him, and in the process I hit the guard rail doing about 5mph.  I got an estimate for the repairs which came to +$1600.  But then I never went and had the work done, I just bought a  new headlight and turn signal on ebay for $35 and used the ding-king-thing to pop the dent out.  The rest of the scaping I buffed off without a problem. 

Now I was told by a few people that in Ohio you have the right to pick your own shop to do the work.

Quote from ohioinsurnace.gov
You have the right to choose which shop will repair your car, unless this right is limited by your policy. You are entitled to a prompt and good-faith settlement offer based onthe terms of your policy and to negotiate with the insurance company's adjuster.You have the right to reject any settlement offer that you find unacceptable and use any arbitration procedures provided in your policy
And my insurance provider states:
You are always free to choose any repair shop, and Allstate will always honor your choice of where to get your car repaired.

I remember my uncle saying a few years ago about his son got into an accident and the body shop wanted over $2000 for the damage, and he was able to get a check for the money and then he did the work himself and left the damages he couldn't repair since the car was already 9 years old. 

I know a lot of time has past since my accident but this has been on my mind recently.  Could I call my insurance and ask for the check and say I'm doing the repairs for myself?  Granted I'd have to pay the $500 deductible but then I'd get a check for $1600 and have a net gain of $1100.

Is there a statue of limitations on insurance claimslike this, and is it possibly for me to get this check?

Edited by Uncle Rudder - 15 March 2009 at 1:20pm
ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
future target of fratricide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2009 at 1:16pm
Something about this definitely feels wrong.
BU Engineering 2012
Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 5/19, Filter-dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2009 at 1:17pm
if you do go through with that, enjoy your increased rate.
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 1 6/25

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Rudder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2009 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by Eville Eville wrote:

if you do go through with that, enjoy your increased rate.

The rate has already been increased because of the inital filing of a claim.
Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 5/19, Filter-dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2009 at 1:22pm
lol why file a claim then?
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2009 at 1:28pm
Pretty sure they would only write a cheque for receipts.   
merc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
American Scotchy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2009 at 1:34pm
the deal with it is this,

if you own the car you get the check for estimated cost, if the bank owns the car the shop gets the check for actual cost.

i got rear ended a while back and got 900$, then went to disney...

all i had to do was fax them a copy of my title and they sent me the check in the mail.
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 1 6/25

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Rudder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2009 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by merc merc wrote:

the deal with it is this,

if you own the car you get the check for estimated cost, if the bank owns the car the shop gets the check for actual cost.

i got rear ended a while back and got 900$, then went to disney...

all i had to do was fax them a copy of my title and they sent me the check in the mail.

This is good news because I do own the car.  Paid for it in cash the day I bought it. 
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2009 at 1:47pm
then if you have an estimate, turn it in and file the claim.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 1 6/25

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Rudder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2009 at 1:51pm
Ok, I just got off the phone with my insurance company, which varifed what I was hoping to hear. All I need to do is show up at their office and show them the estimate and tell them I'm doing the repairs myself, and they write me a check for the estimate - deductible. 
Snipa69 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soulectomy complete in 3...2...1...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snipa69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2009 at 2:58pm
It's not fraudulent per-se because they will just assume that you will have to do about the same ammount of work and thus the compensation is fair. Is it sketchy to a degree? Sure. Illegal? No. You were in an accident, repairs must be or have beend one and you are looking for the compensation your insurance pays when you file a claim.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic