FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The last "Look Back"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The last "Look Back"
    Posted: 14 March 2009 at 12:51pm
I went all the way to Louisianna Mar 9-10 for a Vietnam themed airsoft event run by "Battlesim" an organization that recreates this era. It was the first travel event since "Operation Irene" of the Lion Claws events prior to my major medical problems. Needed a "road trip". I had no illusions of "playing" just needed to get away. Here is the AAR I posted on the website of my adventure......

I went to the VN Airsoft/Battlesim Operation Masher Game in Louisianna. Needed a field trip to get out of the house. I was the 1SG of the company and played the role perfectly, was called the gruff old lifer pushing the troops. The Battlesim people put on an excellant recreation of the era, and try to keep it as real as possible. The LRRP guys took a lot of my pointers and knowledge that they had no clue on. The Line Doggies also learned a lot, and the Battlesim people also picked up some new ideas on how to do things as in the era.
Highlights- one of the line units was getting overrun- a wound card sustem was used on hits and over 50% of the people were down. I was told to go out and form a casuality collection point and evac the wounded and extract the unit. I looked at the "Colonel" another VN vet and we smiled and I started hobbling towards the gate. Just then by chance the LRRP's were comin in so I just stated if you got ammo follow me, and down the road we went. I staged us in a clearing just outside of where I could still hear firing and sent 2 LRRp's in to make contact. The LRRP RTO was kneeling near me as I stood there in the open directing the security of my collection point, and stated I don't feel safe and he moved over to some brush, was funny as I stood there. A little guy about 14 came running out of the bush saying everyone in his squad was "dead" and I put him next to me as security, just then a VC stood up in front of him maybe 10m out and "little rambo" as I called him, nailed the VC before the VC could shoot, the smile on his face was a classic.
My yelling distracted the VC and they were reorganizing to redirect thier attack, taking pressure off the line doggies and I got them out to the road and the "trucks" and we were successsfully evacuated. The Battlesim people were pretty impressed with my technique on doing this mission.

The next "classic" was the night OP of securing the LZ/PZ for resupply in the am. The unit road marched to the LOD and then went out to do thier thing and the goat rodeo started. I ended up having to go out and reorganize the positions since it was not as the LRRP's reported. Got them into a "L" and sent the LRRP's across to secure the other side. The the fun started, tracer BB's flying out of the woodline opposite the LZ, and our replying tracers made me momentarily "return" to the days. Got the fiasco organized just as the VC/NVA charged across the LZ, and we dropped most of em and the firing stopped. I again stood in the middle of the LZ and organized the perimeter as a few of the downed VC/NVA were searched. By chance I was standing next to a "dead" NVA and he was a just retired 1SG also, he could tell I was an 'old timer" and we BS'd for a few and he agreed with my statement that organizing these people was like "Herding cats" he chuckled. Our Captian came over and was totally confused on what happened and I tried to get him squared away, to no avail. I went back to the road Y and began the "count out" to make sure we had everybody and the group returned to the FB.

Sat night it got down to 32deg and many troops did not have proper sleeping gear, and it was fun watchin the troops try to get warm.
I had our new KIA minivan and momma had it nice and warm by the time I got there. In the AM the VC/NVA stormed the camp, and the troops responded in the expected way, total chaos, "Colonel" Robinson from Battlesim told me to let them learn and stay out of it, so we sat in the folding chairs I brought and laughed at all the chaos in front of us.

The final attack on the VC/NVA camp I also had to stay out of, and another fiasco in planning and execution. But all in all the troops had fun and so did I. For a few moments the pain went away and I was back in my enviornment. I hate getting old..................................

BTW I have been invited to be an Instructor at Battlesim's Recondo School in Washington State in Aug/Sep. Thinking on it.

And another little fun fact, the guys from New England make a resin copy of a PRC/77 radio and have a FRS radio in it, the antenna and handset of the PRC are connected to the PRC. I am getting two of em.

Edited by oldsoldier - 14 March 2009 at 12:51pm
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2009 at 12:55pm
Sounds pretty cool.

Would probably want to do something like that.
Que pasa?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic