FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Promise Broken

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 3:54pm
I don't think making a mistake on your tax return is considered breaking the law. Especially if you rectify it. I will bet if you went back through all of the financials of past cabinet members both Republican and Democrat, you could find a discrepancy of two. Heck, you might want to check your own. Did you ever go back and pay those taxes on the "side jobs" you mentioned a few posts back?

And for the record. I am not a Liberal.
ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
future target of fratricide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

Glad to see you guys are just following along... Never question, just believe the spin...

Oh, wait, we could look at facts...

Nah, nevermind...

Easy way to describe an action like that... FRAUD.

While I certainly agree that we should hold politicians to the same (if not higher) standards than ourselves, you're talking about a relatively small amount of money -- $7,040 over three years (source).  That happens to be about 2.5% of her income, so it's pretty clear she wasn't attempting to hide it(source).

Also, your brilliant method of accusing all Democrats of "tax fraud" isn't working, especially since they're the only ones looking for it.
BU Engineering 2012
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 4:03pm

I'm glad to see that libs now accept "ignorance of the law" as a viable excuse to break the law...

The level of non-sequitur is spectacular.
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 4:04pm
Since we are attacking once again judging others of their tax transgressions again, I will again refer to this discussion.

Originally posted by Hades Hades wrote:

I worked at the local grocery store, bike shop, and cleaned carpets under the table for cash.

(Run by the tax cheat Geithner)
Takes one to know one...?

Actually, 23 years ago I wasn't a Christian... I had "normal" selective morality based on my public school education...

So now that you are a Christian, it is now okay to judge others for transgressions that you have admitted to previously committing?

Peter Parker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 4:05pm

I'm glad to see that libs now accept "ignorance of the law" as a viable excuse to break the law...

The error was discovered and the taxes paid. At no point did she argue that she did not owe the taxes due to a misunderstanding of the law.

And am I to extrapolate that you think I am a "lib" along with pbnoob?

"E Pluribus Unum" does not mean "Every man for himself".

Pop Quiz: What do all the Framers of the Constitution have in common?
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 4:48pm

So FE, if we are to use your line of thinking, anyone that gets a speeding ticket, parking ticket, or any other minor infraction, even if they pay it, should be exempted from public office?

FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2009 at 8:07am

Since we are attacking once again judging others of their tax transgressions again, I will again refer to this discussion.

I worked at the local grocery store, bike shop, and cleaned carpets under the table for cash.

Actually, 23 years ago I wasn't a Christian... I had "normal" selective morality based on my public school education...

So now that you are a Christian, it is now okay to judge others for transgressions that you have admitted to previously committing?

Again with this... Guess the facts didn't sink in the first time...

I was 14.

I was a dependent.

I made less than $2,000 in the year.

The reason I worked "under the table" was because child labor laws limited my working time to 12 hours a week. I had more time available, and I needed food, and clothing. So I worked more.

No taxes owed... Still... But, feel free to keep posting it, as it is funny to see you attacking the person pointing out the crimes by our "elected leaders".
They tremble at my name...
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2009 at 8:13am

I was 14.

I was a dependent.

The reason I worked "under the table" was because child labor laws limited my working time to 12 hours a week. I had more time available, and I needed food, and clothing. So I worked more.

No taxes owed... Still... But, feel free to keep posting it, as it is funny to see you attacking the person pointing out the crimes by our "elected leaders".

No one is attacking you, simply pointing out the blatant hypocrisy in so many of your statements. So breaking child labor laws is ok, but making a mistake on your taxes isn't? I think you are still suffering from selective morality.
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2009 at 8:14am
Originally posted by Peter Parker Peter Parker wrote:

The error was discovered and the taxes paid. At no point did she argue that she did not owe the taxes due to a misunderstanding of the law.

And am I to extrapolate that you think I am a "lib" along with pbnoob?

I wasn't talking about anyone "here" with that statement...

"Gov. Kathleen Sebelius owes back taxes is just another day in the Obama administration. Late yesterday afternoon, news leaked that Sebelius--like her nominated predecessor Tom Daschle--is at least the sixth candidate in this administration (and potentially the third member of the President's Cabinet) who didn't pay their taxes. U.S. Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner ($35,000), Labor Secretary Hilda Solis ($6,400), and U.S. Trade Representative Ron Kirk ($10,100) were all confirmed despite short-changing Uncle Sam."

Confirming people who are "ignorant of the law" is acceptance of ignorance as a viable excuse to break the law...

I always thought liberals played by different rules than the rest of us... Its just nice to see them fiinally admitting to it...

"just a mistake", "speedbump", "anyone could make this "mistake"", ect...

Its a big Ouch for Obama and the radical leftists he runs with.

Oh, and when is Geithner going to fill all his empty seats?...

Guess he is too busy deciding what other company CEO's to fire...

Thats constitutional...
They tremble at my name...
slackerr26 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 2 - language, 8/20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slackerr26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2009 at 2:39pm

I was 14.

I was a dependent.

CryCryCryCryCry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2009 at 2:45pm
This may seem a bit of a strange question, FE, but:

Do ultra-conservative Christians actually read the Bible?  Or is there another book out there?
BU Engineering 2012
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Currently awaiting brand new strikes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2009 at 2:53pm
this is why I hate politics.
The Reaper "And yet... His facebook says he "likes" Coons..."
Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I am even less fun in person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2009 at 3:00pm
Not to get all nitpicky here - but Hilda Solis didn't have a tax problem, I believe.  Her husband did, as part of his small business, and it appears that the matter was part of an ongoing dispute.

And bringing up a US Trade Rep seems a little opportunistic here.  Everybody else mentioned is or would have been a cabinet-level appointment.  Throwing a trade rep into the mix seems a bit out of place.

But nevertheless, it is clearly extraordinary that there are this many tax issues on the table.

I am still wondering, though, who uncovered these issues.  Solis' husband's problems were uncovered by the print media, I believe, but it is my understanding that everything else was discovered and disclosed by the Obama administration.  If that is the case, I would think that it would be a huge feather in his cap.  If that is the case, then the vetting process is thorough and the administration is transparent.  One may disagree with the decision(s) to bring these candidates forth anyway, but it appears that the information-sharing is quite thorough.

Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2009 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by Rambino Rambino wrote:

. . .it is my understanding that everything else was discovered and disclosed by the Obama administration.  If that is the case, I would think that it would be a huge feather in his cap. 

I agree.

If that is the case, then the vetting process is thorough and the administration is transparent.  One may disagree with the decision(s) to bring these candidates forth anyway,

Again I agree; the problem is that continuing to promote these individuals does give the impression that the rules only apply to normal citizens.

but it appears that the information-sharing is quite thorough.

I think the problem that a lot of citizens have with these nominees is that the general impression is the liberal left generally holds themselves up as being superior in that they claim the high moral ground on issues such as freedom of choice, the environment and social programs and the continued discovery of such tax issues among these very same people gives the impression of widespread hypocrisy.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2009 at 3:36pm
I would really like to see what the tax returns of some Republicans in similar positions looked like, especially during the Bush administration.

I do think Geithner's tax debt is (was?) somewhat excessive, but I also don't know how much money he was making before, so it's hard to judge it.
BU Engineering 2012
Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2009 at 4:18pm

They are no longer "elected leaders". They are presidential appointees. The president is offering these people a job. The president is okay with their tax problems, therefore he offered them a job; just as your BMX sponsors (and all your former employers) were okay with your previous tax problem.

Getting paid under the table is illegal for both the employer and the employee, even if no taxes are owed.

Lastly, I am not attacking you, I only pointing out that it is hypocritical of you to whine about other peoples tax problems, mistakes or on purpose, while you yourself admit to tax problems yourself.

Please address specifically and in detail, how illustrating the irony of your pointing out of every presidential appointees' tax problems while you also (no matter how far in the past) have experienced tax problems, is an attack.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic