FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Promise Broken

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 5/19, Filter-dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2009 at 3:33pm
but, since you asked so nicely:

Originally posted by The European Respiratory Journal: Official Journal Of The European
Society For Clinical Respiratory Physiology [Eur Respir J The European Respiratory Journal: Official Journal Of The European Society For Clinical Respiratory Physiology [Eur Respir J wrote:

1993 Mar; Vol. 6 (3), pp. 400-4.]
Six urban subjects, with little or no previous experience of farm-work, were exposed to dust while weighing swine for 2-5 h. Three subjects experienced toxic symptoms 4-5 h after the beginning of exposure. Bronchial responsiveness increased in all subjects within 6 h (more than three doubling steps difference in a methacholine test). One week later, airway responsiveness had partly normalized. The mean (interquartile range) cumulative dose of methacholine causing a 20% decrease in forced expiratory volume in one second (FEV1) was 3.1 (1.0-6.6) mg, before exposure, fell to 0.13 (0.01-0.76) mg 6 h after exposure (p < 0.02), and was 0.99 (0.42-1.5) mg one week later (n = 5, p < 0.05), Mean (SD) FEV1 decreased 5 (2)%. The concentration of total dust varied between 9 and 14 mg.m-3 and of endotoxin between 0.1 and 0.5 mu g.m-3. Thus inhalation of swine farm dust, caused a marked increase in bronchial responsiveness in non-sensitized subjects.

Originally posted by Journal of Toxicology & Environmental Health: Part A; Jan2007, Vol. 70 Issue 2, p95-106, 12p, 4 charts, 10 graphs Journal of Toxicology & Environmental Health: Part A; Jan2007, Vol. 70 Issue 2, p95-106, 12p, 4 charts, 10 graphs wrote:

Agricultural workers are exposed to a variety of airborne dusts, including crystalline silica and other inorganic minerals. This study was designed to characterize the organic and inorganic components of agricultural dusts in California grape- and citrus-farm fields and to compare their cytotoxicity using in vitro toxicity bioassays as predictors of pathogenicity. Aerosolized dusts collected from farm fields were characterized by scanning-electron-microscopic energy-dispersive x-ray analysis, x-ray diffraction, trace metal analysis by plasma emission spectroscopy, and surface area measurements. As indicators of cytotoxicity, cell viability, release of alveolar enzymes activities (lactate dehydrogenase, N-acetyl glucosaminidase), production of reactive oxygen species (ROS), such as H2O2 and hydroxyl radical (OH), and lipid peroxidation were monitored after exposure of cells to grape- and citrus-farm dusts or inorganic components of these dusts. In addition, activation of nuclear factor κ B and activator protein-1 were evaluated at the peak time for response of 36 h postexposure. All toxicity studies were done in comparison with crystalline silica of similar particle size and diameter using the same mass concentrations as farm dusts. The results showed that inorganic minerals in the aerosolized farm dust fractions were mostly composed of aluminum silicates, crystalline silica, and free iron. Crystalline silica used in these studies was more cytotoxic than grape- and citrus-farm dusts. However, in general, citrus farm dust exhibited the greatest ability to generate ROS and induce lipid peroxidation. These results support human epidemiologic studies, reporting an increased incidence of pulmonary fibrosis in farm workers, by documenting the potential of farm dusts to induce oxidative stress and initiate disease development. [ABSTRACT FROM AUTHOR]

Originally posted by American Journal Of Industrial Medicine [Am J Ind Med American Journal Of Industrial Medicine [Am J Ind Med wrote:

1990; Vol. 17 (1), pp. 7-15. ]
Exposure to farm dust may cause asthma, rhinitis, allergic alveolitis, organic dust toxic syndrome, and chronic bronchitis. Febrile reactions to inhaled dusts are common and are usually of a toxic rather than an allergic type. Some evidence indicates that dairy farmers may have an increased prevalence of chronic bronchitis, allergic asthma, rhinitis, and chronic airflow limitation, but this has not been conclusively shown. Storage mites and cow dander are important allergens in dairy farming. Inflammation of airways may in part be caused by immediate or delayed hypersensitivity. Other mechanisms, such as activation of inflammatory cells from toxic agents or high exposure levels, may be of considerable importance in causing airway and lung disease.

Originally posted by Environmental Health Perspectives; May2004, Vol. 112 Issue 6, p760-765, 6p, 5 charts Environmental Health Perspectives; May2004, Vol. 112 Issue 6, p760-765, 6p, 5 charts wrote:

Early-life experiences and environmental exposures have been associated with childhood asthma. To investigate further whether the timing of such experiences and exposures is associated with the occurrence of asthma by 5 years of age, we conducted a prevalence case-control study nested within the Children's Health Study, a population-based study of > 4,000 school-aged children in 12 southern California communities. Cases were defined as physician-diagnosed asthma by age 5, and controls were asthma-free at study entry, frequency-matched on age, sex, and community of residence and countermatched on in utero exposure to maternal smoking. Telephone interviews were conducted with mothers to collect additional exposure and asthma histories. Conditional logistic regression models were fitted to estimate odds ratios (ORs) and 95% confidence intervals (CIs). Asthma diagnosis before 5 years of age was associated with exposures in the first year of life m wood or oil smoke, soot, or exhaust (OR = 1.74; 95% CI, 1.02-2.96), cockroaches (OR = 2.03; 95% CI, 1.03-4.02), herbicides (OR = 4.58; 95% CI, 1.36-15.43), pesticides (OR = 2.39; 95% CI, 1.17-4.89), and farm crops, farm dust, or farm animals (OR = 1.88; 95% CI, 1.07-3.28). The ORs for herbicide, pesticide, farm animal, and crops were largest among children with early-onset persistent asthma. The risk of asthma decreased with an increasing number of siblings (P<sub>trend</sub> = 0.01). Day care attendance within the first 4 months of life was positively associated with early-onset transient wheezing (OR = 2.42; 95% CI, 1.28-4.59). In conclusion, environmental exposures during the first year of life are associated with childhood asthma risk. [ABSTRACT FROM AUTHOR]

Originally posted by British Journal Of Industrial Medicine [Br J Ind Med British Journal Of Industrial Medicine [Br J Ind Med wrote:

1983 May; Vol. 40 (2), pp. 173-6.]
Twenty-nine patients previously diagnosed as having suffered from farmer's lung in or before 1970 were asked whether the condition had recurred and what measures they had taken to avoid such recurrence. Those who had retired from farming had been least affected by recurrence, while those who continued to farm had been protected by making silage instead of hay or by wearing protective respirators. To be effective, a respirator should be worn on every occasion that farm dust is encountered and must be properly maintained.

High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2009 at 3:33pm
Dust Bowl wut?
Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2009 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

Originally posted by Eville Eville wrote:

Googlefu me any direct link to a study that shows direct evidence of dangerous dust originating from farming activity. Specifically farming activity.

I dont need to googlefu anything.  every year i am damn near completely useless for a couple weeks during harvest because my eyes are itchy and watery, some days i can barely open them.  My sinuses go on a rampage making it difficult to breathe. i wake up most mornings in a pool of snot.  I am forced to stay inside, mostly in my own room with my HEPA fan blowing in my face to try to get a little bit of a break. 

I have the same thing in Spring as well. It's called allergies. Even when I lived in Florida, with no farms anywhere around me, I had the same problem.

omg thats what its called?  i had no idea!   funny thing, i dont get them in the spring nearly as severely as i do in the fall when the combines start rolling.  and shortly after they stop, so do my alergies.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2009 at 4:00pm

but, since you asked so nicely:

Originally posted by The European Respiratory Journal: Official Journal Of The European Society For Clinical Respiratory Physiology [Eur Respir J The European Respiratory Journal: Official Journal Of The European Society For Clinical Respiratory Physiology [Eur Respir J wrote:

1993 Mar; Vol. 6 (3), pp. 400-4.]
Six urban subjects, with little or no previous experience of farm-work, were exposed to dust while weighing swine for 2-5 h. Three subjects experienced toxic symptoms 4-5 h after the beginning of exposure.  Thus inhalation of swine farm dust, caused a marked increase in bronchial responsiveness in non-sensitized subjects.

Allergies? I eventually grew out of my childhood allergies, most likely to desensitizing over time. Am I going to die now because of past orange blossom pollen? Maybe the smell of inhaling the smell of pig crap and ammonia got to them? Ever been in a pig barn? Not exactly the most pleasant thing.

Originally posted by American Journal Of Industrial Medicine [Am J Ind Med American Journal Of Industrial Medicine [Am J Ind Med wrote:

1990; Vol. 17 (1), pp. 7-15. ]
Exposure to farm dust may cause asthma, rhinitis, allergic alveolitis, organic dust toxic syndrome, and chronic bronchitis. Febrile reactions to inhaled dusts are common and are usually of a toxic rather than an allergic type. Some evidence indicates that dairy farmers may have an increased prevalence of chronic bronchitis, allergic asthma, rhinitis, and chronic airflow limitation, but this has not been conclusively shown. Storage mites and cow dander are important allergens in dairy farming. Inflammation of airways may in part be caused by immediate or delayed hypersensitivity. Other mechanisms, such as activation of inflammatory cells from toxic agents or high exposure levels, may be of considerable importance in causing airway and lung disease.
Maybe, we should stop drinking milk.

Originally posted by Environmental Health Perspectives; May2004, Vol. 112 Issue 6, p760-765, 6p, 5 charts Environmental Health Perspectives; May2004, Vol. 112 Issue 6, p760-765, 6p, 5 charts wrote:

Early-life experiences and environmental exposures have been associated with childhood asthma. To investigate further whether the timing of such experiences and exposures is associated with the occurrence of asthma by 5 years of age, we conducted a prevalence case-control study nested within the Children's Health Study, a population-based study of > 4,000 school-aged children in 12 southern California communities. Cases were defined as physician-diagnosed asthma by age 5, and controls were asthma-free at study entry, frequency-matched on age, sex, and community of residence and countermatched on in utero exposure to maternal smoking. Telephone interviews were conducted with mothers to collect additional exposure and asthma histories. Conditional logistic regression models were fitted to estimate odds ratios (ORs) and 95% confidence intervals (CIs). Asthma diagnosis before 5 years of age was associated with exposures in the first year of life m wood or oil smoke, soot, or exhaust (OR = 1.74; 95% CI, 1.02-2.96), cockroaches (OR = 2.03; 95% CI, 1.03-4.02), herbicides (OR = 4.58; 95% CI, 1.36-15.43), pesticides (OR = 2.39; 95% CI, 1.17-4.89), and farm crops, farm dust, or farm animals (OR = 1.88; 95% CI, 1.07-3.28). The ORs for herbicide, pesticide, farm animal, and crops were largest among children with early-onset persistent asthma. The risk of asthma decreased with an increasing number of siblings (P<sub>trend</sub> = 0.01). Day care attendance within the first 4 months of life was positively associated with early-onset transient wheezing (OR = 2.42; 95% CI, 1.28-4.59). In conclusion, environmental exposures during the first year of life are associated with childhood asthma risk. [ABSTRACT FROM AUTHOR]
More likely to develop asthma from attending daycare.

Originally posted by British Journal Of Industrial Medicine [Br J Ind Med British Journal Of Industrial Medicine [Br J Ind Med wrote:

1983 May; Vol. 40 (2), pp. 173-6.]
Twenty-nine patients previously diagnosed as having suffered from farmer's lung in or before 1970 were asked whether the condition had recurred and what measures they had taken to avoid such recurrence. Those who had retired from farming had been least affected by recurrence, while those who continued to farm had been protected by making silage instead of hay or by wearing protective respirators. To be effective, a respirator should be worn on every occasion that farm dust is encountered and must be properly maintained.
problem solved.

All of these are directly pertaining to persons in direct contact with farms, I.e. farmers. Some aren't even relevant.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2009 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by High Voltage High Voltage wrote:

Dust Bowl wut?
Equivalent to comparing the wave created in the tub when you fart to a 100foot tall tidal wave. The dust storms during that time would go on for days at a time. It wasn't some cloud that you drove through on the way to the grocery store. It was unrelenting 40mph+ windstorms pounding on people living in little more than shacks with no central air systems filtering out the particulates.

Edited by oldpbnoob - 13 March 2009 at 4:05pm
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2009 at 4:10pm
Another great example of our public education system, people who do not even know what the "dust bowl" was or when. American History Class? Maybe........
Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2009 at 4:17pm
you asked for dangerous dust from farming.  you got dangerous dust from farming.
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2009 at 4:26pm
Maybe you need to keep going to school OS. Technically I delivered rather dangerous dust from farming.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2009 at 4:36pm

you asked for dangerous dust from farming.  you got dangerous dust from farming.

No matter how irrelevant it is.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2009 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

Another great example of our public education system, people who do not even know what the "dust bowl" was or when. American History Class? Maybe........
Are you adressing me or HV?
Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2009 at 4:57pm

No matter how irrelevant it is.

how can you say it is irrelevant when one of them specifically says
Asthma diagnosis before 5 years of age was associated with exposures in the first year of life from... and farm dust.
  its right freaking there.  clear as day.  farm dust contributes to asthma in children.  who cares if something else contributes more?  shooting your kids probably contributes more to death than shaking a kid.  does that mean that shaking your kids is irrelevant and should not be regulated?
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2009 at 5:36pm

What is the comparison of occurence in children that are not exposed to any of these factors? As asthma can run in families, how many of these children came from families where it was prevelant? Asthma can further be triggered by allergies to pet dander. Where is the comparison to kids that have dogs/cats? How many of these kids parents smoked? Lots of variables not accounted for.

Irrelevant.

Edited by oldpbnoob - 13 March 2009 at 5:37pm
ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
future target of fratricide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2009 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by oldpbnoob's title oldpbnoob's title wrote:

No, I am always an arse
BU Engineering 2012
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2009 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by Pariell's Sig Pariell's Sig wrote:

Everything I say is a joke.

Edited by oldpbnoob - 13 March 2009 at 6:45pm
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2009 at 6:48pm
Ooh!  Ooh! I can play too.

Originally posted by Originally posted by FreeEnterprise's Sig Originally posted by FreeEnterprise's Sig wrote:

I offer facts, you call me names; welcome to any argument with a liberal.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2009 at 6:49pm

Who the heck is Pariell? Wink

I'd like to point out that I wrote that, note some admin.
BU Engineering 2012
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2009 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by ParielIsBack ParielIsBack wrote:

Who the heck is Pariell? Wink

I'd like to point out that I wrote that, note some admin.

Actually, I wrote that as well and one of the mods put it in.

And Mack, you were doing so well with the impulse control... LOL
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2009 at 6:59pm
What can I say?  The title is true.  Some mod (I forget which one) tagged me accurately with that one.
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2009 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by Peter Parker Peter Parker wrote:

And if it turns out that rural gravel roads are killing babies, then yes we should do something about that.
If rural gravel roads are prevented from killing babies, so should liberals.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2009 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by StormyKnight StormyKnight wrote:

Originally posted by Peter Parker Peter Parker wrote:

And if it turns out that rural gravel roads are killing babies, then yes we should do something about that.
If rural gravel roads are prevented from killing babies, so should liberals.

/thread

Stormy wins.
BU Engineering 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic