FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Promise Broken

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Frequent target of infantile obsessives

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Promise Broken
    Posted: 11 March 2009 at 11:36am
Obama is signing the Omnibus bill with the @8000 earmarks, so much for another campaign promise. 51 day to break a major promise, and not even doing a "public" signing, real class act we got at the wheel.

Obama Lied, our wallets cried...................
mbro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2009 at 12:02pm
It is pretty ridiculous, they claim that they will be cracking down on ear marks in the coming months. let's hope it's true.

Also, earmarks aren't always a bad thing. They get a bad rap.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2009 at 12:02pm
I have to agree with you on this one. I think this is BS. Change, only if it suits him is what it looks like sometimes.
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2009 at 12:05pm
I think the proper term for it is the OmniPork Spendulous Turducken Bill.
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2009 at 12:18pm
Man, I love these threads.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2009 at 12:22pm

I realize I am probably a bit slow to pick this up, but anyone else find the humorous irony of one of the 'pork" projects is a provision for hundreds of thousands of dollars for a study on how to contain pig flatulance? Guess that really is a "pork project". A real stinker of one too.

panhead4411 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panhead4411 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2009 at 5:48pm
And its just great how He was sayin the other day that the best way for us to get out of this financial mess is to be watchful and responsible spenders.....but only after we wrecklessly spend $800 BILLION......really....?
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2009 at 6:38pm
He's 17 and 2 for kept vs broken.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2009 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Truth. If I were one of those intent on badmouthing Obama, I wouldn't be flashing that 'promise-o-meter' web site around so much.

WGP guy2 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I play the Bag Pipes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WGP guy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2009 at 7:24pm
Too bad the promises aren't weighted.  Confused
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2009 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Well, I wouldn't actually go that far. They called this one a "compromise" but let's face it, there are something like 9,000 earmarks in the omnibus package. I call that a failure right there.

to quote the obamater:
Quote The Omnibus, however, is loaded with earmarks. Obama and the White House could have used the bully pulpit to criticize them. But they have not been very critical, nor have they indicated any attempt to go "line by line" through the bill to look for wasteful programs, as Obama pledged during the campaign.

Administration budget chief Peter Orszag said, "We want to just move on. Let's get this bill done, get it into law and move forward."

Now, PolitiFact says they're going to re-visit this one due to the deep contrast between the 9k+ earmarks in the omnibus and the relatively earmark free economic stimulus package, but passing this bill just to "move on." isn't a compromise, it's a failure plain and simple. That "2" in the broken column should be a "3" any way you look at it.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Monk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2009 at 7:27pm
To add to tallen, the compromise for the "no lobbyists in office" thing, is a load of crap.
/\ /\ \/ \/ < > < > B A START
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2009 at 9:03pm
To be honest, I've never seen a president in my time keep even remote amount of every campaign promise they make. I don't think you can judge a president by his promises, but by the outcome at the end of four years. It's just too early to call Obama a success or a failure, and for anyone rooting for him to fail, shame on you.

That being said, I at least commend this administration for admitting that it's failed in some areas, I think Obama is probably one of the few politicians out there who will genuinely listen to the public when he makes a move, even if I disagree with alot of what he does.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2009 at 9:08pm
Stop being so logical strato, it's not welcome here.
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2009 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

To be honest, I've never seen a president in my time keep even remote amount of every campaign promise they make. I don't think you can judge a president by his promises, but by the outcome at the end of four years. It's just too early to call Obama a success or a failure, and for anyone rooting for him to fail, shame on you.

That being said, I at least commend this administration for admitting that it's failed in some areas, I think Obama is probably one of the few politicians out there who will genuinely listen to the public when he makes a move, even if I disagree with alot of what he does.

I think you're certainly right that most presidents don't keep all of their campaign promises, and that regardless of political affiliations, no one should hope Obama fails.

That being said, Obama set a very high bar for himself after the election with promises of accountability and change beyond what your average politician would promise.  Consequentially, we have a right to hold him to these promises.

Personally, I think its silly to keep a scorecard, but you can't say "Obama is fantastic and a great president" and "don't judge him yet!" in the same sentence.
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
future target of fratricide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2009 at 9:28pm
I think it's legitimate to press politicians to keep their campaign promises, but I think it's utterly retarded that it's done only to bash them.  People wonder why politics don't work, but it's that exact mentality of "You're wrong, I'm right, and I'm not going to be constructive AT ALL" that makes it as bad as it seems.
BU Engineering 2012
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2009 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by Darur Darur wrote:

I think you're certainly right that most presidents don't keep all of their campaign promises, and that regardless of political affiliations, no one should hope Obama fails.

That being said, Obama set a very high bar for himself after the election with promises of accountability and change beyond what your average politician would promise.  Consequentially, we have a right to hold him to these promises.

Personally, I think its silly to keep a scorecard, but you can't say "Obama is fantastic and a great president" and "don't judge him yet!" in the same sentence.

I don't think Obama is fantastic or great in the least, I just feel that if you hold any politician to the standards he sets for himself, you'll find all but a select few fall woefully short.

Being a pro life conservative, it's difficult to find alot to agree on with Obama, but I can also look through the eyes of those who disagree with me politically and feel the frustration that Bush probably left them with. I disagreed with the nitpicking that occured during Bush's terms, and I just as vehemently disagree with it when it comes to Obama.

Cut throat politics is not only in bad taste, it's bad for the country. It's unfortunate that the political parties of this nation choose play politics like a game of football, instead of working together for the common good.

Ozwarg View Drop Down
Drama Panda

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozwarg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2009 at 11:35pm
Were like what.... 7 out of 44 presidents that so far kept all there promises?
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2009 at 4:11am

I don't think Obama is fantastic or great in the least, I just feel that if you hold any politician to the standards he sets for himself, you'll find all but a select few fall woefully short.

Being a pro life conservative, it's difficult to find alot to agree on with Obama, but I can also look through the eyes of those who disagree with me politically and feel the frustration that Bush probably left them with. I disagreed with the nitpicking that occured during Bush's terms, and I just as vehemently disagree with it when it comes to Obama.

Cut throat politics is not only in bad taste, it's bad for the country. It's unfortunate that the political parties of this nation choose play politics like a game of football, instead of working together for the common good.

I actually agree with everything you said there.

My point with calling Obama great was aimed less at you and more at the notion I've seen lately that you can't be critical of Obama yet because of <reason> and explaining how great he is in the same breath. I don't like it at all when political mudslinging starts and I absolutely hate it when political attacks turn personal.  Obama set himself a very high bar which everyone should hope and want him to reach, and as citizens and voters we have a duty to be critical of our elected officals whose job, as you pointed out, is to serve us. That doesn't mean we should whine about everything or hold unreasonable expectations, but holding an elected offical to his campaign promises where its reasonable is perfectly fine.

Originally posted by ParielIsBack ParielIsBack wrote:

I think it's legitimate to press politicians to keep their campaign promises, but I think it's utterly retarded that it's done only to bash them.  People wonder why politics don't work, but it's that exact mentality of "You're wrong, I'm right, and I'm not going to be constructive AT ALL" that makes it as bad as it seems.

Bingo.

The last 8 years have provided us with countless perfect examples of how NOT to express discontent with the sitting administration (mind you, there were many good criticisms offered as well).

The  chief problem with party politics is it tends to galvanize the nation, making the liberals more liberal and the conservatives more conservative. 

Edited by Darur - 12 March 2009 at 4:17am
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2009 at 8:44am
I think what angers so much of the country, is the way obama made himself out to be centrist...

and the media, who didn't do their jobs in asking tough questions, let him... And said "yes, Obama is a centrist, almost reagan like..."

and now he it is obvious how leftist he truly is.

Lets look at some facts. Next on the horizon is Cap and Trade for energy. This will decimate your income. (not the rich guys, but the average american, the ones obama promised to "lower" taxes) Through higher fuel and home energy prices, as well as anything produced, and purchased...

Now Obama isn't the only one, as under bush (course the liberal majority in congress actually wrote and passed the law..., but I'll blame it on Bush since he signed it).

Now we are going to regulate dust through the EPA... As someone who lives in rural America, and farms, I see the rediculousness of this, but everytime my costs go up, I just increase that cost to you, the consumer...

Then you heap on the massive new health care reform... Or the massive spending bills...

Or just look at how much Obama's "new" government has spent since it took over...

$1,000,000,000 per hour. Every hour in the first 50 days.

Thats change we can believe in alright.

Or how about limiting the amounts of money you can donate and get tax breaks on... Yeah, thats going to help charities... Gotta close those "loopholes", because we need everyone dependant on government...

They tremble at my name...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic