Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Good beginner gun

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CoolGuy90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoolGuy90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good beginner gun
    Posted: 06 March 2009 at 3:34pm
Looking into getting my first pb gun, and looks like the 98 series are good starters. I was looking at this gun http://www.actionvillage.com/010-208-0071.

I am probably not going to add any mods to it, as I just need something basic.

Would this be my best bet?

Thanks
Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I am even less fun in person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2009 at 4:09pm
Welcome to the forum.

Any 98 is a great beginner gun and will make you happy, unless you are playing in a fairly competitive speedball environment.

ACT is also a very good feature to have.

The Platinum Series vs a regular 98 ACT is less of a major upgrade.  The benefits of the Platinum relate mostly to ease of cleaning, some upgrade conveniences, and so forth.   Certainly not a bad idea, but you might also consider a regular 98 ACT, which is a little bit cheaper.  If the added cost is not a concern, then the Platinum ACT is an excellent choice - the split halves in particular make the gun much more convenient for the beginner.

The other gun to consider would be the A-5.  Even easier to clean, and it includes the Cyclone feed, but it does cost a bit more.

Good luck, and enjoy.

sinisterNorth View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
1 strike, language, 10/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinisterNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2009 at 4:18pm
You're on the right track. Tippmanns are such affordable and reliable guns, not to mention the upgrade potential of them. Bets of all, they're easy to maintain. 
Pumpker'd; (V.) When a pump player runs up and shoots you at point blank range because you thought 20bps made you good.
CoolGuy90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoolGuy90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2009 at 4:33pm
Thanks for the replies and insight. I'd probably scratch out the A-5 since it is more than what I am willing to pay. How does the longer barrel on the Platinum perform from the regular 98?
sinisterNorth View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
1 strike, language, 10/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinisterNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2009 at 4:38pm
The stock barrel's performance on any Tippmann has been questionable for quite a while now. That's usually the first upgrade a Tippmann owner will make. While they're not terrible, there are much better barrels available to enhance the gun's performance. If you're interested, check out the LAPCO Bigshot or JJ Ceramic.
Pumpker'd; (V.) When a pump player runs up and shoots you at point blank range because you thought 20bps made you good.
CoolGuy90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoolGuy90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2009 at 4:43pm
Oh, thanks for that information. I might as well get the non platinum and upgrade the barrel.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2009 at 4:20am
Also, a major point in regards to barrels. Length really does NOT affet accuracy and range. Do not think that by buying a 21" barrel you will get more range and accuracy than a 12" of similar quality. I'd suggest looking at something in the 12" to 14" range, and not go above that.
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

CoolGuy90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoolGuy90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2009 at 1:44pm

I actually have this barrel in mind, seems to be getting great reviews:

Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2009 at 4:30pm
That is a good barrel as well.
CoolGuy90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoolGuy90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2009 at 2:43pm

I actually now might consider the A5, due to the faster BPS. I read that the gas consumption is high though due to the cyclone feeding. Is it something to consider if I buy it?

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2009 at 4:29pm
Not sure where you are getting your info, but the stock 98, A5 and even X7 are all semiauto. You only get a higher rate of fire on all of these if you upgrade to an RT or E-grip.  On a stock semiauto Tippmann, your rate of fire is base on how faster you can work your little fingers.

Regarding the higher gas consumption, the Cyclone is not supposed to decrease efficiency as it works of of excess gasses, as does the RT. However, some people swear up and down that they find their marker is less efficient with either the Cylone or RT. Personally, I never noticed a difference. The solution to the problem if it does is to simply buy a larger tank or additional tank.  Tippmanns are not know for their efficiency anyways.
allosaur176 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allosaur176 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2009 at 9:02pm
The one thing about the A5 or X7 is that when they are very low on gas, you will need to feed each shot
CoolGuy90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoolGuy90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2009 at 11:49pm
Thanks for the input. I do realize that the A5 is semi, but dosen't the cyclone feed faster than the 98?
ctchofday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
1 language strike, 2/28/10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctchofday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2009 at 12:57am
no, the cyclone is a gas operated force fed hopper, which means its better than a standard gravity feed in that it doesnt get jammed and can feed faster, but the gun will still only fire as fast as you can pull the trigger unless you upgrade the firing mechanism to RT or Electronic

it eliminates chops almost completely and makes it so theres no need to buy a new (faster/more expensive) hopper when you do upgrade the firing mechanism.

Edited by ctchofday - 17 March 2009 at 12:59am
Xbl:PhantomReign97

'99 Snpr II, ˝d Karni, E-Orracle, 2k4 Spstk, 2k5 Prstk, PMR SE, A5, 98
duval7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duval7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 8:53am
Without a doubt get the A5. its has many more upgrades and the cyclone is the best feed system out there.  if you buy a 98 you will eventually have to buy something else to go to the next level. with the a5 you can just add an egrip or some other performance mods.  A5 may cost alittle more but its a way better marker.  Just go to ebay and get one cheap.
Robby_of_PBH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robby_of_PBH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 10:28am
My bottomline is, get this package, I think Rambino was right on with what he told you.

It's the same as what you originally posted, but without the double trigger and drop forward, which IMO doesn't really matter for you right now.

I'd say get the 98 over the A5 because well 1: it's cheaper, and 2: I don't think the A5 has any form of anti-chop.  You can also upgrade your 98 to include a cyclone feed on it as well much like the A5 if after you play you decide you need it.  Both guns for the most part can take alot of similiar upgrades and are fairly the same in terms of performance.

I say stick with the basic reliable gun, see what you like and want, and go from there.  That thing'll be your pal to the end.  ;D
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 11:37am
Originally posted by duval7 duval7 wrote:

Without a doubt get the A5. its has many more upgrades and the cyclone is the best feed system out there.  if you buy a 98 you will eventually have to buy something else to go to the next level. with the a5 you can just add an egrip or some other performance mods.  A5 may cost alittle more but its a way better marker.  Just go to ebay and get one cheap.
Um. Please explain how so? The 98 and A5 are internally the same marker. The A5 does come stock with the Cyclone, but you can just as easily add on to the 98. Takes makes a couple of minutes for the average Joe. The 98 also, has tons of upgrades as does the A5. Besides body kits, there are probably as many if not more mods for the 98 than the A5.

As for the Cylcone being the best feed system out there.... Not really. It works well on Tippmanns because it operate off of excess gas put out by blowbacks, but for Electros, it obviously would not work (Well obviously for anyone that has a clue what they are talking about).  Yes it is good for Tippmanns and with modification can reach BPS rates of 20+ per second, but calling it the best feed system on the maket is naive. There are many feed systems that will easily outperform the Cyclone.

And the A5 is not a "way better marker". There are some aspects of the A5 that are "better" in some peoples eyes, but it by no means is the equivalent of comparing a Yugo to a Ferrari.  The ability to field strip the A5 is nice as is the ability to remove the E-grip for battery replacement if you need, but if you compare the baseline performance of the A5 to the 98, you would find little if any significant advantage of one over the other. I also prefer the looks of the A5 over the 98, but this is pretty subjective.

IMO, yes I prefer the A5 more from an aesthetic point of view as it looks better when milsimed. But performance wise, you will find very similiar results between the two.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 4:31pm
What oldpbnoob forgot to mention is the big advantage the 98 has over the A5 in cleaning barrel breaks with the drop-away elbow.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

What oldpbnoob forgot to mention is the big advantage the 98 has over the A5 in cleaning barrel breaks with the drop-away elbow.
QFT.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic