FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Facepalm:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Facepalm:
    Posted: 26 February 2009 at 11:14am
Quote Obama to Seek New Assault Weapons Ban
The Ban Expired in 2004 During the Bush Administration.
By JASON RYAN

WASHINGTON, Feb. 25, 2009ó

The Obama administration will seek to reinstate the assault weapons ban that expired in 2004 during the Bush administration, Attorney General Eric Holder said today.

"As President Obama indicated during the campaign, there are just a few gun-related changes that we would like to make, and among them would be to reinstitute the ban on the sale of assault weapons," Holder told reporters.

Holder said that putting the ban back in place would not only be a positive move by the United States, it would help cut down on the flow of guns going across the border into Mexico, which is struggling with heavy violence among drug cartels along the border.

"I think that will have a positive impact in Mexico, at a minimum." Holder said at a news conference on the arrest of more than 700 people in a drug enforcement crackdown on Mexican drug cartels operating in the U.S.

Mexican government officials have complained that the availability of sophisticated guns from the United States have emboldened drug traffickers to fight over access routes into the U.S.

A State Department travel warning issued Feb. 20, 2009, reflected government concerns about the violence.

"Some recent Mexican army and police confrontations with drug cartels have resembled small-unit combat, with cartels employing automatic weapons and grenades," the warning said. "Large firefights have taken place in many towns and cities across Mexico, but most recently in northern Mexico, including Tijuana, Chihuahua City and Ciudad Juarez."

At the news conference today, Holder described his discussions with his Mexican counterpart about the recent spike in violence.

"I met yesterday with Attorney General Medina Mora of Mexico, and we discussed the unprecedented levels of violence his country is facing because of their enforcement efforts," he said.

Holder declined to offer any time frame for the reimplementation of the assault weapons ban, however.

"It's something, as I said, that the president talked about during the campaign," he said. "There are obviously a number of things that are -- that have been taking up a substantial amount of his time, and so, I'm not sure exactly what the sequencing will be."

In a brief interview with ABC News, Wayne LaPierre, president of the National Rifle Association, said, "I think there are a lot of Democrats on Capitol Hill cringing at Eric Holder's comments right now."

During his confirmation hearing, Holder told the Senate Judiciary Committee about other gun control measures the Obama administration may consider.

"I think closing the gun show loophole, the banning of cop-killer bullets and I also think that making the assault weapons ban permanent, would be something that would be permitted under Heller," Holder said, referring to the Supreme Court ruling in Washington, D.C. v. Heller, which asserted the Second Amendment as an individual's right to own a weapon.

The Assault Weapons Ban signed into law by President Clinton in 1994 banned 19 types of semi-automatic military-style guns and ammunition clips with more than 10 rounds.

"A semi-automatic is a quintessential self-defense firearm owned by American citizens in this country," LaPierre said. "I think it is clearly covered under Heller and it's clearly, I think, protected by the Constitution."

Copyright © 2009 ABC News Internet Ventures

Everyone who said "Obama's not going to take your guns" can now effectively shut the hell up.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Actuarry itís Skirret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2009 at 11:19am
Even as a supporter of the 2nd amendment, do we really need AK47s...?
Monk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2009 at 11:24am
Huge difference in the automatic AK and the semi-auto variants. The semi-auto versions are pretty much a deer rifle in comparison. Yet under the ban, they are considered highly deadly.
/\ /\ \/ \/ < > < > B A START
Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2009 at 11:33am
Noes. There go my 25 round .22 clips.
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2009 at 11:35am
I can see how this will cut down on illegal guns held by criminals.  Just like the lack of illegal drugs we have here in the states considering that they are illegal and all.  sheep
Sent from a phone booth
Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 5/19, Filter-dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2009 at 11:36am
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Quote Obama to Seek New Assault Weapons Ban
The Ban Expired in 2004 During the Bush Administration.
By JASON RYAN

WASHINGTON, Feb. 25, 2009ó

The Obama administration will seek to reinstate the assault weapons ban that expired in 2004 during the Bush administration, Attorney General Eric Holder said today.

"As President Obama indicated during the campaign, there are just a few gun-related changes that we would like to make, and among them would be to reinstitute the ban on the sale of assault weapons," Holder told reporters.

Holder said that putting the ban back in place would not only be a positive move by the United States, it would help cut down on the flow of guns going across the border into Mexico, which is struggling with heavy violence among drug cartels along the border.

"I think that will have a positive impact in Mexico, at a minimum." Holder said at a news conference on the arrest of more than 700 people in a drug enforcement crackdown on Mexican drug cartels operating in the U.S.

Mexican government officials have complained that the availability of sophisticated guns from the United States have emboldened drug traffickers to fight over access routes into the U.S.

A State Department travel warning issued Feb. 20, 2009, reflected government concerns about the violence.

"Some recent Mexican army and police confrontations with drug cartels have resembled small-unit combat, with cartels employing automatic weapons and grenades," the warning said. "Large firefights have taken place in many towns and cities across Mexico, but most recently in northern Mexico, including Tijuana, Chihuahua City and Ciudad Juarez."

At the news conference today, Holder described his discussions with his Mexican counterpart about the recent spike in violence.

"I met yesterday with Attorney General Medina Mora of Mexico, and we discussed the unprecedented levels of violence his country is facing because of their enforcement efforts," he said.

Holder declined to offer any time frame for the reimplementation of the assault weapons ban, however.

"It's something, as I said, that the president talked about during the campaign," he said. "There are obviously a number of things that are -- that have been taking up a substantial amount of his time, and so, I'm not sure exactly what the sequencing will be."

In a brief interview with ABC News, Wayne LaPierre, president of the National Rifle Association, said, "I think there are a lot of Democrats on Capitol Hill cringing at Eric Holder's comments right now."

During his confirmation hearing, Holder told the Senate Judiciary Committee about other gun control measures the Obama administration may consider.

"I think closing the gun show loophole, the banning of cop-killer bullets and I also think that making the assault weapons ban permanent, would be something that would be permitted under Heller," Holder said, referring to the Supreme Court ruling in Washington, D.C. v. Heller, which asserted the Second Amendment as an individual's right to own a weapon.

The Assault Weapons Ban signed into law by President Clinton in 1994 banned 19 types of semi-automatic military-style guns and ammunition clips with more than 10 rounds.

"A semi-automatic is a quintessential self-defense firearm owned by American citizens in this country," LaPierre said. "I think it is clearly covered under Heller and it's clearly, I think, protected by the Constitution."

Copyright © 2009 ABC News Internet Ventures

Everyone who said "Obama's not going to take your guns" can now effectively shut the hell up.

are they still legal now? yes?  i think you know what to do now.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2009 at 11:41am
Originally posted by Skillet42565 Skillet42565 wrote:

Even as a supporter of the 2nd amendment, do we really need AK47s...?

They make a good deer and target rifle as well as a good varmint rifle. Soooo yes.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
thejudge View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thejudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2009 at 11:41am
Originally posted by Lightningbolt Lightningbolt wrote:

I can see how this will cut down on illegal guns held by criminals.  Just like the lack of illegal drugs we have here in the states considering that they are illegal and all.  sheep
I honestly think it will raise illegal gun sales.  if someone that is a criminal wants one and would have gotten it illegaly anyways, then this will not stop them at all.  Personally I think that if the criminals can have them so should we LOL
Stay low, run fast, and hope that paintball doesn't hit your...
Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2009 at 11:47am
i'm just going to take up the Dim Mak. Then Obama will be forced to ban arms on all citizens.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2009 at 11:47am
You noted my sarcasm right?  the extension is .sheep
Sent from a phone booth
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2009 at 11:49am

Well if it's illegal, then people won't buy/own them . . . duh.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2009 at 11:51am

And we give a crap why?...... Maybe if we start giving every Mexican that jumps the border an AK when we deport them back, the Mexican government will try a little harder to keep them from doing it.

Edited by oldpbnoob - 26 February 2009 at 11:52am
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2009 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

wow.sheep
Sent from a phone booth
Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2009 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

just like keeping that pile of dead babies in my basement is illegal.
Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2009 at 11:54am
Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

And we give a crap why?...... Maybe if we start giving every Mexican that jumps the border an AK when we deport them back, the Mexican government will try a little harder to keep them from doing it.

How would we fund that?  are you willing to give Jose your AK?
Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2009 at 11:54am
RON PAUL 08
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2009 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Eville Eville wrote:

Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

How would we fund that?  are you willing to give Jose your AK?
I actually don't own any guns, but it could be financed with all of the money the government will save by having socialized medicine... DUH!
Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Actuarry itís Skirret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2009 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Benjichang Benjichang wrote:

RON PAUL 08
IMPULS3. View Drop Down
Guested

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPULS3. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2009 at 12:27pm
Can anyone please explain what a "assault" weapon is. Did you know, under the specs of a "assault" weapon ban. A semi auto P90 is NOT considered an assault weapon.

Edited by IMPULS3. - 26 February 2009 at 12:31pm
IMPULS3. View Drop Down
Guested

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPULS3. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2009 at 12:30pm

BANNED

LEGAL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic