FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Go-Cart build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Styro Folme View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styro Folme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Go-Cart build
    Posted: 24 February 2009 at 7:00pm
HAY GUISE!

Me and my friends are thinking about building a budget go cart.  We're still planning, but I was wondering what you guys would use for an engine.  We're thinking about using a bicycle train to transfer the power to the wheels.  This would hopefully enable multiple gears (I know how sketchy that is).  I was hoping to get somewhere between 10-15hp.  Maybe more.  Maybe less. 

The budget for the engine is below $100. 

Thanx! :DDD
X
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2009 at 7:02pm
I'd use a go-cart engine.

Otherwise, lawnmower?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styro Folme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2009 at 7:11pm
Thought about just a regular go cart engine.  Finding one that's over 5hp for a decent price is tough though...  Considered a lawn mower engine, but I'm curious how easy it would be to use a throttle.  
X
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2009 at 7:14pm
Have you checked your local craigslist for parts dirtbikes, etc?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styro Folme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2009 at 7:27pm
I have.  It's all either completes or out of my price range...  I'm going to keep my eyes peeled locally. 

but for the time being, I'm pondering which types of engines would be good....  Rockets?
X
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2009 at 7:32pm
post a WTB ad?
the_blade View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<esser is more

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_blade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2009 at 8:52pm
when i did a build i wanted to go the lawn mower route but the vertical  crank shaft made getting the power to the wheels very hard to come up with something  reliable i eventually came across an old  15 horse lawn tractor with a horizontal shaft and a gear box   worked out really well  try looking for old snowblowers ride on mowers  roto tillers  power washers they all have basically the same motors on them 

using a bicicle chain and derailer isnt to good of an idea you are going to have a very hard time  getting the gear front gear sets to mount to the crank you will have no clutch  so you will always be moving unless you use a centrifical clutch and figure out some way to mount that mess all together and lastly you will blow the one way bearings on the rear gear sets so fast they cant handle any real kid of power at all  

Edited by the_blade - 24 February 2009 at 8:58pm
95 base neon 3.0 cai, knifedged crankshaft 60 mill throttle body,14 crane cam crane springs/retainers eagle rods port matched/ polished intake p&p head shaved .015 phantom grip diff dohc exuast
.636 View Drop Down
Strike 1, 9/13 inappropiate post content

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .636 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2009 at 9:02pm
Find a motorcycle engine, that way you will have gears and more power. easier to hook up a drive line too also. And wont be as flimsy as bicycle chain...
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2009 at 9:03pm
An old tiller motor or chainsaw motor is the best way to go. Do not try to run multiple gears, it is almost impossible to keep proper tension on the drive chain. If you can find an old 2-cycle side-shaft lawnmower engine from a 1940's/1950's "Snapper" lawn mower, that'll do just fine. You don't need 15hp. 5HP will be more than enough. Plywood for a platform which has been reinforced with a tubular frame is a good way to go. Mind you, when I built my karts as a kid, I just used all timber construction.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styro Folme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2009 at 1:28am
I forgot to add that I'll be using this for drifting.  :D

Seriously though, thanks for the tips.  It's good hearing from all sides, and every idea here is considered.  This is really just more of an experimental thing.  I had a go-cart as a kid, but I rolled it over and mangled my arm (actually how I got the name Styro Folme in the long run).  I outgrew it while my arm healed, and I basically traded it for an A-5.

And hear I am again.
X
Dave82689 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave82689 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2009 at 1:49am
I would use a lawn mower motor, but use a deer, nothing runs like a deer..... lol
BearClaw View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BearClaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2009 at 11:53am
Never done the go Cart thing.  I did build a mini bike though with a 5hp side shaft preasure washer engine.

Like people been saying most lawn mower engines are HARD to work with cause they are vertical shaft motors.   So fine something with a 3/4" to 1" horizontal keyed shaft and youd be golden (go cart cetrificul clutches come in both those sizes).

The 5hp on my mini bike i could not gear right for better acceleration as the rear wheel was to small for a bigger pully but none the less it worked and got to a gps recorded 50km/hr.

I think if ya want some fun a 10hp motor is were ya want to look.
AGD RT ULE AUTOMAG
TIPPMANN SL68II
DANGEROUS POWER E1
TIPPMANN A5
SHERIDAN PGP2
AGD 68 AUTOMAG
TIPPMANN PRO-CARBINE
EMPIRE TRRACER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2009 at 11:58am
Damn I should do this sometime when I'm home, I still have a wooden go-kart body from a... gravity powered... one I made.
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2009 at 1:16pm

One of my friends brings his out to the farm quite often. But, he has a 250cc two stroke motorcycle engine on it. Which if you find an old bike that someone is junking would be perfect. And pretty cheap too, if you look for one from the 80's.

Two strokes are simple to rebuild, and trust me, the more power the better. If you want to drift, you will need power, and tons of it. Two stroke all the way, a 5 or 10 hp wouldn't be enough, it would be boring.

I'd look for an older racing cart, you can pick them up around here for around $250 complete... with disk brakes and everything. That much power, and you really need good brakes, to keep from breaking stuff...
They tremble at my name...
Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 5/19, Filter-dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2009 at 1:25pm
a friend of mine races i think 125cc shifter karts.  still trying to convince him to let me take it for a spin.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2009 at 1:35pm
Gas is for losers. I want to build a steam-powered go cart.
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2009 at 1:46pm

Originally posted by DeTrevni DeTrevni wrote:

We know you do...

<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2009 at 2:55pm

DeTrevni, are you [urlhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Edgar_Stanley]Francis Edgar Stanley[/url] reincarnated or what?
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
MeanMan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeanMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2009 at 3:01pm
I would love to build a go-cart. I have a snowmobile engine, a 540, sitting in my barn as a backup/extra engine. Would something like that be able to work? I mean, it can get the snowmobile up to about 90ish(supposely, the guy at Yamaha really liked the one we got and told us about it)

hybrid-sniper~"To be honest, if I see a player still using an Impulse I'm going to question their motives."
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2009 at 3:21pm

Gas is for losers. I want to build a steam-powered go cart.

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2006/10/19/steam-engine-motorcycle-hubbard-steamcycle/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic