FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Go-Cart build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2009 at 3:26pm

Depending on the gearing it should do a lot more than that...

we clocked my buddies at 85.
They tremble at my name...
MeanMan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeanMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2009 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

Depending on the gearing it should do a lot more than that...

we clocked my buddies at 85.

Are you talking about the snowmobile?
The guy at Yamaha said the newer models would pull away at 95. I dont know, the fastest ive gone is probably 40 in the backyard(large open space). My dad races traffic on a main road though, pretty amusing. Hes a reserve police officer, so when the cops drive by, they wave.

hybrid-sniper~"To be honest, if I see a player still using an Impulse I'm going to question their motives."
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2009 at 3:39pm
I've got an old go-kart at my parents' house. It has the #11 Darrel Waltrip Mt. Dew Buick stock car body on it. Fun little sucker.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2009 at 3:46pm
his go cart goes 85. Its stupid fast. But, you 'bout burn your arm shifting it, as the shifter is right on the engine... And the cart is so little you barely fit.

Its fun though. very bumpy, but fun.
They tremble at my name...
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2009 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by DeTrevni DeTrevni wrote:

Gas is for losers. I want to build a steam-powered go cart.
Sadly enough, I have a friend (engineering major) who's building a steam engine, and putting it in a go-cart.
notXXscared View Drop Down

Strike 1, 8-21 Language

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notXXscared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2009 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by MeanMan MeanMan wrote:

Are you talking about the snowmobile?
The guy at Yamaha said the newer models would pull away at 95. I dont know, the fastest ive gone is probably 40 in the backyard(large open space).
Fastest I've been is 115 on a sled, I think I have a video somewhere on my computer of 106 though.

Previously DYE PLAYA
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2009 at 4:32pm
10-15 h.p.? come on dude.  roll with something small like a 500 c.c. twin 2 stroke iron bore polaris motor.  Maybe a scant 80 h.p. or so.

your engine budget stinks. 

Edited by Lightningbolt - 25 February 2009 at 4:48pm
Sent from a phone booth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2009 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by MeanMan MeanMan wrote:

I would love to build a go-cart. I have a snowmobile engine, a 540, sitting in my barn as a backup/extra engine. Would something like that be able to work? I mean, it can get the snowmobile up to about 90ish(supposely, the guy at Yamaha really liked the one we got and told us about it)

You may see 150 mph or more on a cart if set up right.  Rough guess.  Maybe 180 mph.  There's no resistance on a cart to speak of.  Gear it for 90 and you'll roast the tires off.
Sent from a phone booth
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2009 at 5:13pm
Everyone suggesting over 10HP realizes that this is a home-built project right? My guess is that his budget doesn't include a roll cage or even a welded tubular frame.
the_blade View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<esser is more

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_blade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2009 at 5:18pm
i have had a tubular framed gokart that i built hen i was 14 then i got my hands onto a  old honda oddesy gokart with a 750 cc   two stroke engine  and trans  which came off of  an old motorcycle dubbed the widowmaker  now that thing left some nice   tire marks LOL
95 base neon 3.0 cai, knifedged crankshaft 60 mill throttle body,14 crane cam crane springs/retainers eagle rods port matched/ polished intake p&p head shaved .015 phantom grip diff dohc exuast
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2009 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Everyone suggesting over 10HP realizes that this is a home-built project right? My guess is that his budget doesn't include a roll cage or even a welded tubular frame.

then it's not worth doing. Lawn mower engines go cheap on ebay.............

seriously though.  Judging the scale of this project,  a dirt bike or sled engine is going to require too much fabrication for the drive line.  it would be complicated.

I've got a buddy that stuffed a 170 h.p. 2 stroke into a golf cart.  if you get serious let me know and i'll hit him up on the drive line stuff

Edited by Lightningbolt - 25 February 2009 at 5:48pm
Sent from a phone booth
Orpackrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orpackrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2009 at 5:57pm
Get yourself a cheap older snowmobile.  Then you will have a powerful engine, good centrifugal clutch, and drive assembly.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2009 at 6:03pm
The variable ratio primary and secondary from a sled would be needed but the question would be how to eliminate the gears and gear case.  If you went with sprokets you'd want to design the system so you could change out sprockets easily.  It will involve some serious experimentation.  Or you could try to incorporate the chaincase with gears and chain inside.  Using the gearcase would make things easier in the long run but it could get expensive trying different gears which could lead to different length chains.  You could tip the cart on its side to save oil when changing gears.

we're talking pretty complicated fabrication trying to get the power from the chaincase to the drive shaft.  the easiest way would probably try to figure out how to place the chaincase outboard of the rear tire.

I've got a 3.75 h.p. vert. shaft engine I was going to work onto a Razor type thingy.  You know basically a skateboard with a steering bar.  My plan was to use a tire on the vert. shaft which would make contact with the inside of one of the rear tires.  If you had an engine mount that allowed for vertical adjustment you could change ratios simply by adjusting the height at which the drive tire makes contact with the rear tire. You would also have to have horizontal adjustability too. It would save spending money/time on sprockets, gears etc.

Edited by Lightningbolt - 25 February 2009 at 7:10pm
Sent from a phone booth
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2009 at 8:59pm
$189+free shipping

Horizontal drive shaft Subaru made Robin Engine (5HP)
Monk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2009 at 9:17pm
http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/

Done, next.

Obviously not the same but still neato

Edited by Monk - 25 February 2009 at 9:21pm
/\ /\ \/ \/ < > < > B A START
bravecoward View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
oxymoran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bravecoward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2009 at 10:43pm
I think every group of friends at one time has wanted to build a go kart. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic