Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cyclone problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Zipp10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zipp10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cyclone problem
    Posted: 17 February 2009 at 12:56am
I have an Alpha Black with cyclone, buttstock, remote

I am now very frustrated, I have only used my gun twice and have had problems.

The first time I had no problems besides a few ball breaks due to cold weather.

I then got a cylone feed which worked fine the next time I went out.

I have since gotten a collapsible buttstock for a 98 custom and a remote, I have been firing my gun to test it and try to fix it but have a cyclone problem.

I can manually turn my cyclone and it will feed but if I just fire it will not cycle.

I think I have used the oldfashioned system of a bottle of window spray and air to test for leaks and found none.

The gun works fine but not my cyclone.
Robby_of_PBH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robby_of_PBH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2009 at 8:59am
Hmm.. if you said the manual feed still works but not it running off of CO2 it still could be a leak problem perhaps.  How did you test for leaks, testing when CO2 was on it?  Or testing while it was shooting? Because I do not believe any air runs to the cyclone feed through those hoses while the CO2 is on, only when you shoot the gun.  Perhaps check to make sure both of the fittings on the hose to the cyclone feed are snug (don't overtighten though).  Also check that the little O rings are on the fittings as well.  If that does work, perhaps it could be something on the internals of the cyclone feed, always make sure your cyclone feed internals are greased up and ready to go with that too.
thejudge View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thejudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2009 at 9:41am
also try it with out the buttstock and just the part that it came with.  sometimes the buttstock is drilled too far and the spring sits too far back.  when that happens it doesnt have as much power hitting the pin so not as much air goes through since the valve does not open all the way,  if there isnt enough air then the cyclone wont feed. if this is the problem the fix is simple.  just get a stronger spring or put some shims in he stock and it will push the spring up a lil further.  Good luck.
Stay low, run fast, and hope that paintball doesn't hit your...
Zipp10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zipp10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2009 at 8:56pm
when you say greased up what do you mean?

I tried to shim the buttstock but it went to far forwards, so I remeasured both the original cap and the stock and they were the same.

If I were to send my gun to Tippmann would they fix it completly?
I have a A-5 and bought the Alpha Black just to have another gun to customize and build up, so waiting for my gun to be fixed is not a problem.
I am just wondering if they would shoot it and test it to make sure everything was working properly, and if they would replace parts if need be.
Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I am even less fun in person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2009 at 8:59pm
Rather than just measuring, take off the stock and the remote.  Both of those can cause the problem you are describing.  Then you can start eliminating causes.

Zipp10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zipp10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2009 at 10:23pm
I am sorry for the confusion on the remote, I don't run tests with my remote. But I will try without the stock.

I am still in need of answer to my question about sending my gun to Tippmann

Edited by Zipp10 - 17 February 2009 at 10:26pm
Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2009 at 10:35pm

Most people report extreme satisfaction with Tippmann customer service.  What exactly they will do will depend on your specific problem.

Zipp10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zipp10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2009 at 12:06am
If I were to send my gun to tippmann how long would I have to wait roughly?
Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2009 at 12:13am
Hard to say.  I've sent stuff to Tippmann a couple of times, and got it back in a week or two.  Others have gotten back slower or faster.

Try with the stock off first and see if that fixes it.
Zipp10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zipp10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2009 at 1:11am

I am currently out of Co2 and will get some more tomorrow.

So the horror stories about sending a gun to tippmann and having to wait for four weeks is a slight exaggeration or they had a really big problem.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2009 at 8:00am
Originally posted by Zipp10 Zipp10 wrote:

I am currently out of Co2 and will get some more tomorrow.

So the horror stories about sending a gun to tippmann and having to wait for four weeks is a slight exaggeration or they had a really big problem.
If you think 4 wks to get a marker fixed is a "horror story", than you have another think coming. I was told once that Tippmann will not work on, or fix markers with aftermarket parts. If that is the case, you may have to strip it down to stock. You may want to call and verify this though.
Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2009 at 11:08am
What pbnoob said - there are horror stories out there that will make your skin crawl.  That will not happen with Tippmann, although it just might take a month to get it back.  Which, of course, is why we suggest trying to fix it yourself first.

That said, I have sent my A-5 to Tippmann on a couple of occasions and never taken off the extras.  Granted that I don't have a lot of non-Tippmann stuff.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robby_of_PBH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2009 at 3:01pm

when you say greased up what do you mean?

I tried to shim the buttstock but it went to far forwards, so I remeasured both the original cap and the stock and they were the same.

If I were to send my gun to Tippmann would they fix it completly?
I have a A-5 and bought the Alpha Black just to have another gun to customize and build up, so waiting for my gun to be fixed is not a problem.
I am just wondering if they would shoot it and test it to make sure everything was working properly, and if they would replace parts if need be.

I was talkin' about using grease on the internals of your cyclone feed and using gun oil where nessicary as well.
Zipp10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zipp10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2009 at 4:54pm
I do oil my gun and cyclone. What are the places I need to make sure are oiled, I may have overlooked them or just not oiled them?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robby_of_PBH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2009 at 12:52pm
As far as the cyclone feed go, it's usually suggested that grease it to be used on the internals of the cyclone feed as oppossed to oil.  For the internals of the cyclone feed put grease on the ratchet and the top of the spinning axle.  You will also want to OIL up the piston inside the housing of the cyclone feed (that's the inside of the part that you push).  I heard oil is better for the piston.  As far as your gun itself, the hammer's gotta be the #1 part you gotta oil.  Pretty much anything that moves oil it.
Zipp10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zipp10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2009 at 8:16pm
Do you have a grease you suggest, and where it can be purchased?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robby_of_PBH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2009 at 9:36pm
www.techTpaintball.com makes one that they designed for the cyclone feed.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2009 at 10:01am

I do oil my gun and cyclone. What are the places I need to make sure are oiled, I may have overlooked them or just not oiled them?

Actually, the easiest and probably best way to oil your marker without over oiling it is to put 2-3 drops of oil into your ASA before each day of play. Make sure you take your barrel off after doing this and fire off a few shots. Put your barrel back on and you are good to go. You can actually over oil the marker resulting in excess oil being sprayed into the barrel. Oil in your barrel in not a good thing, so go easy with it. Also, be sure to use Hopps No9 gun oil or similiar. DO NOT USE WD40 or other aerosol oils on your marker as they can damage the O-rings.

As for the cylcone, you can use lithium grease for the ratchet/internals which is available at any hardware store.

Edited by oldpbnoob - 20 February 2009 at 10:03am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic