Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Flatline, straightline, or apex

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
miniballer15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miniballer15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flatline, straightline, or apex
    Posted: 11 February 2009 at 12:39pm
i recently purchased an A-5 and i am looking for a excellet accurate barrel... i want good accuracy at range...ive looked at a flatline a sraightline and an apex but cant decide... plz help im a noob
Robby_of_PBH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robby_of_PBH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2009 at 12:59pm
The flatline and apex do add some amazing range I won't argue with that at all. Through my past years of using the flatline though the accuracy is not anything special so I will put that out there. I recently picked up the apex and have only tested it so far. From what I tested though the accuracy on it is nothing super as well although it does add sweet range as well and does have the option to have the backspin feature turned off, which in my opinion gives it an advantage over the flatline. The straightline barrel however I have not used, but I just looked up some pricing on that thing and it looks pretty outrageous. Now I'm not going to assume anything on something I've never used, but I'm going to guess it's no where near the $100+ pricing. I recently ordered a J&J ceramic for only $29 bucks and am waiting for it to come in the mail. I heard it has great accuracy and it well worth the small cost. The J&J of course doesn't add the distance like the flatline and apex, but it probably does have alot better accuracy. In conclusion I'd say if you looking to add range go with the Apex, but if your looking to have sweet accuracy go with the J&J ceramic. Both are reasonable pricing too, can't go wrong with that, even if you don't like em for whatever reason that would be.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miniballer15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2009 at 1:05pm
i have notices that the straightline is relatively new and no one has posted a comment in the forum about it and it prices around $150.00 and is a rifled barrel and claims to have supperior accuracy

with the J&J what is the average accurate range with it?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robby_of_PBH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2009 at 1:11pm
Yea I saw that rifled stuff it claims. I know my friend has a "rifled" barrel and it seems to perform pretty much the same as any other barrel. Again though, I'm not going to say anything bad or good about it, just that the pricing is alot and it MAY not be worth it. lol, I'm not sure what the average range and accuracy is of the J&J ceramic, the range however should be relatively the same as any other not back-spin opperated barrel as should all. I heard the accuracy is great for a paintball barrel and I'm sure there's more guys on here who will back me up. And like I said, $30 for an excellent barrel is well worth it. What I'm on my way to doing is coupling the J&J ceramic the my apex barrel tip I have. The apex barrel as you may or may not know is basically a normal barrel with an "apex" tip. The tip itself is the part that adds the backspin to the ball. I plan on replacing the stock barrel that comes with the apex barrel when you purchase it, with a J&J ceramic barrel and then putting the tip on it. That I hope should make a pretty wicked barrel in terms of accuracy and distance.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miniballer15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2009 at 1:21pm
would a sniper barrel be good decision?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robby_of_PBH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2009 at 1:33pm
Uuuh, lol I wouldn't bother looking for anything called a "sniper" barrel or anything longer than 14 or 16 inches. The word "sniper" on those barrel doesn't mean much of anything other than it's probably used to help lure people into buy them. By looking up "sniping" barrels I'm guessing you're looking to "snipe". That's a whole 'nother topic but basically your looking for a barrel that is either accurate, or a barrel that add's alot of extra distance. The only reasonable way to add that extra distance is by using the backsping method, that is, the Flatline or Apex. I know of no other barrel that does this and even if there were it's accuracy would probably be relatively the same as theirs. Any normal barrel (one that doesn't use backspin) is going to shoot RELATIVELY the same distance. Buying a super long barrel won't help you either, I'd say stick to around 14" for what your going for. Like I said it's either..

Flatline/Apex = Extended distance, mild accuracy
Standard barrel = Average distance, good accuracy

Now when I say good accuracy for a normal barrel that would all depend on the barrel and what you consider "good" seeing as it is a paintball gun not a real gun. But like I said, I'd say either go with the Apex or the J&J Ceramic barrel. Or once you get the hang of things a little more, perhaps do what I'm gonna try and use both, hopefully utilyzing the strengths of both. In conclusion, get a 14" J&J Ceramic for now.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miniballer15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2009 at 1:37pm

how would you combine both barrels... would they be interchangable and if so are the breaks swapable

FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2009 at 1:45pm
Apex.

Done, buy it.

Flatlines are a pain to clean, when you break a ball. Plus they are very hard on paint (no tournament paint,as it is usually too brittle to handle the little bumps inside the barrel, which will cause the paint to break, and you will be shooting glops of paint about 5 feet...)

I don't know about the rifled barrels, but I have read good things... But, $150 for a barrel seems really high.

The most important thing in paintball is the actual paint you buy. The stock a-5 has a very large bore on its barrel, so that is why it isn't that accurate. The Apex is a little smaller, and the ramp is adjustable. So you can turn it off.

I use mine all the time, set halfway ramped. Unless I need to hit someone really far away, then I go full ramp (all the way forward). I have also killed lots of guy hiding behind or under trees, as the curve is really fun to go around stuff. (only flatlines and apex's do this).

When playing in the woods, I would go apex all the way, as when you are shooting distance, and you are hitting a scrub area, you can change the ramp and still hit your target with a different trajectory path.

Here is some video of mine from last month.

They tremble at my name...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robby_of_PBH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2009 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by miniballer15 miniballer15 wrote:

how would you combine both barrels... would they be interchangable and if so are the breaks swapable

Here's what it is. When you buy the "apex barrel" you buy a hard plastic tip that comes attached onto a barrel. Is it the plastic tip that gives the ball the backspin and makes the Apex what it is. What you would do it take off the stock barrel that comes with the Apex, and swap it with the J&J Ceramic barrel. So you would then have a J&J ceramic barrel with an Apex tip on it. So given you want extra distance you can just flip on the little nob on the Apex tip, and if you don't want to extra distance, just flip the nob off. It wouldn't require any taking on or off during battle or anything crazy like that. All it is is you change the stock Apex BARELL with the J&J ceramic barrel.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miniballer15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2009 at 1:58pm
dont you rotate the apex tip?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robby_of_PBH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2009 at 2:01pm
You can rotate it to change which way the ball curves. Generally you are going to want to keep it straight. There is also a little knob on the top of it that will adjust how much backspin is put on the ball thus how much distance is added. The backspin can be turned all the way off using that nob if you want, so if you don't like it for whatever reason or don't want to use it at the time, just flip that nob back and the backspin is gone.
lordtoast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lordtoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2009 at 4:32pm
with the added range of both flatline and apex, balls dont break but so far. never shot the straightline but very intrigued. on youtube is a comparison video on the apex versus the flatline. Your marker set up makes a difference too. If your gonna run the response trigger, youll break more paint than youll want to with the flatline. My teammate runs the a5 and ive used it several times. I have an apex and love it. but on the a5 with response trigger, jj ceramic is the way to go for accuracy, and no breaks.
ctchofday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
1 language strike, 2/28/10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctchofday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2009 at 6:45pm
just spend $30-$60 on a nice one or 2 piece regular barrel such as J&J, Custom Products, Proto etc. and you will be much happier all around.
Xbl:PhantomReign97

'99 Snpr II, d Karni, E-Orracle, 2k4 Spstk, 2k5 Prstk, PMR SE, A5, 98
CowboyK321 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CowboyK321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2009 at 11:58pm
There are a few options besides a stock apex.  Lapco makes barrels (Bigshot) that will accept the apex tip and there are All American fronts for the Smartparts Freak barrel system that have the same.  I have all three.  Distance in good on all, but the Bigshot and AA give me better groupings.  I've used the Flatline as well... did't like it.  The coating in the barrel that imparts spin wears out and sometimes i started getting unwanted sidespin.  I'm considering getting the Straightline, but  at $150 CAN i have to give it some thought.  According to Hammerhead their barrel has a certain effective muzzle velocity range. (around 270-280)  so it wouldn't be much worth the price at fields that have a lower limit.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic