Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Weird Gas issue with my a-5

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
hooah510 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooah510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weird Gas issue with my a-5
    Posted: 10 February 2009 at 7:38pm
Hey, I've had an 98 custom for a while, and recently received a a-5 from a friend for my birthday. he bought it online at ebay and it was used.  it was a great deal from what i heard he paid for it (16inch boomstick, stock remote, e grip, double trigger) but when i loaded it up and hooked my 20 oz on/off valve tank then flipped it on i heard a major hiss, no big clouds of smoke and i think the only place its coming out is the barrel. one of my friend said it might be the O-rings so i replaced those, and its still blows CO2 out the barrel, i'm begining to wonder if it has all the internals being bought used by someone with no paintball knowledge. though i did check the manual and it seems to all be there, just wondering if anyone has found the same problem or knows whats happening. thanks!
A-5 E-grip RD double trigger
stage 6 expansion 16-boomstick
6 position stock offset rail
2-9X50 red/green dot sight
M-4 style barrel shroud
tactical foregrip green laser
Remote
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2009 at 7:56pm

Are you cocking the marker before putting the tank on? If not... do and see if this helps. Also you may want to put a few drops of oil into the asa before gassing up. O-rings like a little lubrication. It makes them quite happy and less apt to hiss at you .

K Hop View Drop Down
Strike 1 F-bomb in link 9/29

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Hop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2009 at 8:00pm
I think that sometimes when an A-5 is not cocked the hammer is pressed against the valve and holds it slightly open. Do why oldpbnoob said. Cock it before you gas up and it shouldn't leak.
hooah510 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooah510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2009 at 10:36pm
I tried cocking it and it still hissed :-\ whats the asa?
M-4 style barrel shroud
Remote
hooah510 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooah510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2009 at 11:27pm
i looked at the Tippmann site and they said it might be my valve, so i took the gun apart but cant seem to remove the valve... i'll run some oil through it and see if it helps, but still...
M-4 style barrel shroud
Remote
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2009 at 10:58am
The ASA is the Air Source Adapter on the bottom of the grip that the tank/remote screws into. Drop a few drops of oil into this before airing up. The presure from the tank should force the oil into the marker and lubricate everything properly, including the O-rings.
hooah510 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooah510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2009 at 2:25pm
thanks Big smile it worked and now fires beautifully!
M-4 style barrel shroud
Remote
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2009 at 3:35pm

Another word of advise. Take your barrel off before you put the oil into the asa and fire. Oil in the barrel will actually make your paint do interesting things. If you already put the oil in with the barrel on, take it off and clean it before you go out playing.

hooah510 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooah510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2009 at 5:32pm
umm so you were right and my barrel is now clean, but the same thing happened again and this time the whole asa/tombstone and remote are iced over in like 4-5 seconds(it did not fire successfully but the gas continued to flow through the barrel) (though instead of firing and sticking, it did that like automatic sounding burst [like when your out of air] which stopped after a little bit but the air continued to flow through, and i'm using a near full 20 oz.)

Edited by hooah510 - 11 February 2009 at 5:39pm
M-4 style barrel shroud
Remote
ammolord View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammolord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2009 at 5:39pm
ya, co2 likes to do that. just let it sit for a min and it will thaw out. if you had the money id switch to HPA (compressed air).
PSN Tag: AmmoLord
XBL: xXAmmoLordXx

~Minister of Tinkering With Things That Go "BOOM!"(AKA Minister of Munitions)~
hooah510 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooah510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2009 at 5:40pm
how much more would compressed air be ?is it the same as n2?

Edited by hooah510 - 11 February 2009 at 5:47pm
M-4 style barrel shroud
Remote
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2009 at 6:10pm

What was the temperature where you were firing the marker? CO2 absorbs heat from the air to warm up and expand into a gas. If it is too cold, it has trouble warming up and liquid CO2 will get into the marker and cause the issues you described. However, with the remote it seems unlikely that this would happen after only 4-5 shots.

hooah510 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooah510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2009 at 6:27pm
48 degrees f, i warmed up my garage and shot it from there and it works fine. just put 300 old cheap warped paint through it full auto all at once and it didn't break a single ball, plus it shot them like they were $80 a case.

thanks tons for your help, if it hadn't been for this forum i probably would have replaced most of the internals and spent around $60 extra.

i repeat my question for anyone is hpa/compressed air the same as nitrogen/n2 ?

Edited by hooah510 - 11 February 2009 at 6:30pm
M-4 style barrel shroud
Remote
ammolord View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammolord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2009 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by hooah510 hooah510 wrote:

how much more would compressed air be ?is it the same as n2?

tanks are more expensive but i can get it filled for about $3. and ya, it is the same.

Edited by ammolord - 11 February 2009 at 6:34pm

hooah510 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooah510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2009 at 6:55pm
awesome, now does the a-5 come hpa compatible? or do i need to buy anything else along with a tank?  (sorry for all the question, haha, new to most.)
M-4 style barrel shroud
Remote
ammolord View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammolord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2009 at 7:54pm
nope, its 100% good right out of the box, just screw in the tank and go.

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2009 at 7:54pm

Yes, the A-5 (as well as 98 and X7) is compatible with HPA. Nothing needs to be done other than hooking it up. You will have to rechrono of course to make sure your FPS is still within safe leverls. Only thing you have to make sure is that the tanks have a High Pressure regulator (800psi) and not a low pressure. Some people suggest an additional external regulator for increased efficiency with HPA, but it is not necessary. The A5's cyclone actually uses excess gas to operate the cyclone, so it actually isnt a bad thing if it is slightly inefficient. 

Do a search on HPA vs CO2 and you will find numberous threads on the subject.
hooah510 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooah510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2009 at 8:12pm
thanks to bro's sounds great. one last thing i would be wondering is will my expansion chamber help the HPA much?
M-4 style barrel shroud
Remote
ammolord View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammolord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2009 at 9:08pm
not realy, HPA dosent expand.

hooah510 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooah510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2009 at 3:02pm
I was playing yesterday and the same thing happened again... though when i tried to screw the tank directly into the gun it worked fine, and after one game like that i was able to use my remote, its not a huge deal because that can just be one of the first things i do when i get ready. but I was wondering if replacing some of the bolts might be useful, and if so which ones because i might as well upgrade them in the process. thanks for all the (the both of you) help.
M-4 style barrel shroud
Remote
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic