Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fighting In Hockey

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Zata View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fighting In Hockey
    Posted: 22 January 2009 at 11:31pm
In case you aren't familiar with what happened...

Originally posted by Bob McKenzie From TSN Bob McKenzie From TSN wrote:

The board of governors for the Ontario Senior AAA Major League Hockey met this week to discuss what steps it should consider after the death of Sanderson, who died of brain injuries suffered in a fight when his helmet came off during the altercation and his bare head struck the ice.

So the NHL plans to look into possibly implementing some new rules as well.

I say leave it alone.  For whatever reason, yes there does seem to be an increase in head injuries as a result of fighting.  But I don't think it warrants making new rules regarding fighting.  I think in the long run, it will hurt the game.

What are your thoughts?
Bruce Banner View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Banner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2009 at 11:34pm
Don't get me wrong - I like a good hockey fight as much as the next guy, but how is clamping down on fighting going to "hurt the game?"
Waste and excess are not conservative family values
Nature is not a liberal plot
A Good Energy Plan
Rp Fr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
This title is just way too old

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote  Rp Fr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2009 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by Bruce Banner Bruce Banner wrote:

Don't get me wrong - I like a good hockey fight as much as the next guy, but how is clamping down on fighting going to "hurt the game?"

Agreed. Everyone loses the fighting, but if they cut back on it a bit or restricted it in a minor way, I don't think it will have a noticeable effect on the popularity of the sport.
Zata View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2009 at 11:38pm

This might be hard to understand for someone is either isn't a fan, or maybe just a casual fan.  But if you take the fighting out, its almost certain that players will resort to swinging sticks and probably other tactics that would be more dangerous that fighting.

Fighting is used to show the other team that your team won't be pushed around, or that you won't tolerate your star players being roughed up.  Its been in the game too long to take away or limit in any way I think.

I also think that the game would lose fans as well.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Banner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2009 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by Zata Zata wrote:

This might be hard to understand for someone is either isn't a fan, or maybe just a casual fan.  But if you take the fighting out, its almost certain that players will resort to swinging sticks and probably other tactics that would be more dangerous that fighting.

Fighting is used to show the other team that your team won't be pushed around, or that you won't tolerate your star players being roughed up.  Its been in the game too long to take away or limit in any way I think.

I also think that the game would lose fans as well.

Oh poo.  I grew up playing and watching hockey.  It works just fine without fighting.  Just like every other sport on the planet (except for, you know, MMA and stuff).

Would the NHL lose some fans?  Possibly - hard to predict if it would be a net gain or loss.  But that is irrelevant to whether it would "hurt the game."

Besides, hockey does not begin and end with the NHL.  As it turns out, only a small portion of the world's hockey is played in the NHL.  In most of the world's hockey, fighting is an automatic ejection.

Edited by Bruce Banner - 22 January 2009 at 11:44pm
A Good Energy Plan
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2009 at 11:51pm

This might be hard to understand for someone is either isn't a fan, or maybe just a casual fan. But if you take the fighting out, its almost certain that players will resort to swinging sticks and probably other tactics that would be more dangerous that fighting.Fighting is used to show the other team that your team won't be pushed around, or that you won't tolerate your star players being roughed up. Its been in the game too long to take away or limit in any way I think.I also think that the game would lose fans as well.

Oh poo. I grew up playing and watching hockey. It works just fine without fighting. Just like every other sport on the planet (except for, you know, MMA and stuff).

Would the NHL lose some fans? Possibly - hard to predict if it would be a net gain or loss. But that is irrelevant to whether it would "hurt the game."

Besides, hockey does not begin and end with the NHL. As it turns out, only a small portion of the world's hockey is played in the NHL. In most of the world's hockey, fighting is an automatic ejection.

It wouldn't be the end of hockey, but it would be the end of the Red Wings

Dude died when his head hit the ice. Brian Pothier hasn't been back all year because he got a concussion without even hitting the boards hard, and that wasn't even in a fight. Injuries will happen in any sport and fighting isn't the only way your helmet is going to come off in hockey. I think trying to ban it is about as smart as trying to encourage it. It's become a part of the NHL's image and it works for the players involved. It's their game, let them make the call.

Edited by tallen702 - 22 January 2009 at 11:52pm
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Zata View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2009 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Wait what?  Unless you're being sarcastic, I don't understand what you mean.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Banner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2009 at 11:58pm

Have you watched the Wings play recently?
A Good Energy Plan
Zata View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2009 at 12:02am

Have you watched the Wings play recently?

They're all I watch.  This thread is about fighting, which isn't apart of the Red Wings style so thats where I'm confused.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Banner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2009 at 12:09am

They're all I watch.  This thread is about fighting, which isn't apart of the Red Wings style so thats where I'm confused.

First, I think you are missing the gentle ribbing from tallen, your hockey rival.

Second, while the Wings might be less fighty than some other teams at the moment, that was not always true.  Many of the most notable fights and fighters in NHL history were Red Wings.

But that's not really the point.  We are just poking fun.
A Good Energy Plan
Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I dont have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2009 at 12:10am

Zing!
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2009 at 1:13am
Two names Zata:
Bob Probert
and
Joe Kocur

Those boys were fighters through and through.

To quote wikipedia:
Quote Probert will always be remembered as one of the NHL's toughest players, in 16 NHL seasons he fought 285 NHL fights with a record of 176-50-59 and many enforcers considered him the toughest and most feared fighter in the NHL

That's a lot of fights brotha!
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2009 at 10:11am

First, I think you are missing the gentle ribbing from tallen, your hockey rival.

Second, while the Wings might be less fighty than some other teams at the moment, that was not always true.  Many of the most notable fights and fighters in NHL history were Red Wings.

But that's not really the point.  We are just poking fun.

WERE.  Konstantinov can't enforce anymore.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
adrenalinejunky View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

strike 1 11/24/08 language

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrenalinejunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2009 at 10:26am
Kocur vs Probert

red wings are pansies though :)

Blues vs Red Wings

Edited by adrenalinejunky - 23 January 2009 at 10:27am
Zata View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2009 at 11:18am
No no no, I figured it was some sort of ribbing.  But I was thinking currently, not like the Red Wings of the past.

Probert and some of the other old greats were actually just in town on Saturday for an Alumni game, but I had to work.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2009 at 11:57am
Detroit needs to get themselves one of these:

Highly entertaining, especially when he plays his old teams.
Zata View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2009 at 12:04pm

Detroit needs to get themselves one of these:

Highly entertaining, especially when he plays his old teams.

I liked Downey a lot but he's been in the AHL all season.  I guess with the Wing record, if it isn't broke don't fix it.
PaiNTbALLfReNzY View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Arsenal FC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaiNTbALLfReNzY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2009 at 12:46pm
Like I've said in the past; bring back Gladiator battles and the masses will be happy.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic