Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Too Cold For School?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Zata View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Too Cold For School?
    Posted: 16 January 2009 at 12:01pm
So I'm in the thumb of Michigan, and the temp is 3 degrees and then -9 with the wind chill.  All the school districts canceled school today.  I guess I can understand doing that for those students who walk to school.

Does this ever happen to those of you in the more norther part of the US, or Canada?
Monk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2009 at 12:03pm
OMG michigan is so pansy. They freakin complain when its 80* and low humidity. No offense. 
/\ /\ \/ \/ < > < > B A START
Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Actuarry its Skirret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2009 at 12:05pm
Its about 10 degrees in Kentucky today, and I have to walk 15 minutes both ways to class today.  Kids are sissies.
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2009 at 12:43pm
No, but I have seen schools close here in the summer due to broken air conditioners.
pntbl freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Wanna do something about it? Well do ya?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pntbl freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2009 at 12:44pm
I just commented on this in the other thread.  I think its ridiculous.

We had a -35 wind chill today and I still had classes.
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2009 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by High Voltage High Voltage wrote:

No, but I have seen schools close here in the summer due to broken air conditioners.

That's pathetic...
Que pasa?

High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2009 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by jmac3 jmac3 wrote:

Originally posted by High Voltage High Voltage wrote:

That's pathetic...

100 degrees, high humidity, and poor city schools.

County schools are a different story. A/C was broken in the science building at my high school freshman year and we just had to suck it up.
Tical3.0 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
this space for rent

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tical3.0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2009 at 12:58pm
lol. I have had to go to school at -20 before. Bunch of sissies
I ♣ hippies.
Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2009 at 1:16pm
I'm in Ohio and we've had school cancelled due to cold quite a bit in the past.
ctchofday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
1 language strike, 2/28/10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctchofday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2009 at 1:21pm
I could understand for the people that walk, but you'd have to be out there a long time before any problems arise.

Also, its very warm inside the school, even if it didnt have heaters, body heat of all the students would keep the school a nice high 60s - low 70s.

I walked for 20min across campus in pouring rain, sat down completely soaked drenched the floor and chair, finished the class and did it again on the way back to my dorm. As well as having done the same thing in sub 20* weather minus the rain.

kids these days....

Edited by ctchofday - 16 January 2009 at 1:23pm
Xbl:PhantomReign97

'99 Snpr II, d Karni, E-Orracle, 2k4 Spstk, 2k5 Prstk, PMR SE, A5, 98
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2009 at 2:18pm
In whitehorse I didn't have a single snow day or too cold day. -45 (-49 F) and they'll stay open, as they don't want some kid to get dropped off, then have the parents leave, and the kid freezes trying to open the closed school doors. Always open, always.
I've had classes cancelled for snow here though because our main campus is on Burnaby Mountain, and with enough snow, transit pretty much can't run.
NiQ-Toto View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NiQ-Toto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2009 at 2:32pm
Its not too cold for school, but i am too cool for school.

OOOOOOOHHHHHH YEAH!
///AMG What?
Mr.Awesome View Drop Down

(not as Awesome as he thinks)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Awesome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2009 at 2:36pm
north western ontario they'll close the elementary schools if its too cold, or if the buses aren't running because of the cold. i can't remember if schools have ever closed for snow.
You Wont See Me View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Found in Big Al’s underwear drawer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Wont See Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2009 at 3:29pm
Im in the midwest and we cancelled the past 2 days because of -20 degree temps
A-5
E-Grip
JCS Dual Trigger
DOP X-CORE 8 stage x-chamber
Lapco Bigshot 14" Beadblasted

Optional setup:
R/T
Dead on Blade trigger
Destruction View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Destruction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2009 at 3:46pm
I'm still on winter break.
u dont know what to do ur getting mottor boatted

Men are from Magmar, women are from Venusaur.
merc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
American Scotchy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2009 at 10:12pm
heck down here in VA beach if its cold enough to have frost on the grass they call 2hrs for "snow"....
saving the world, one warship at a time.
bravecoward View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
oxymoran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bravecoward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2009 at 10:29pm
Someone got their school closed here in SWO by messing with the heating blankets on the diesel buses lol
MeanMan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeanMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2009 at 11:39pm
In Northern Ohio it's pretty much -15 before we cancel most of the
schools.

hybrid-sniper~"To be honest, if I see a player still using an Impulse I'm going to question their motives."
ammolord View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammolord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2009 at 11:57am

wow, that must be nice. it was -40* here the other day with 3 1/2 ft of snow and they still made us go.

PSN Tag: AmmoLord
XBL: xXAmmoLordXx

~Minister of Tinkering With Things That Go "BOOM!"(AKA Minister of Munitions)~
unvolution View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unvolution Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2009 at 12:10pm
i had to walk to school in the high 30's low 40's a few times... then walk home in the high 90's to low 100's... never had school canceled
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic