FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why do you need a mosin for zombies?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2009 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by a_sock a_sock wrote:

you would have to stop for supplies, food, gas, weapons of some sort.  it also makes noise, which means it will attract them.

does anyone think if you cranked your paintball guns fps up as high as it will allow, put marbles in it, would it harm a zombie? what about pencils/pens or nails? I dont have any firearms... Ive got fully functional katana's though...

And if we are to get deeper into this discusion we must clear up the origins of the zombies, if they are fast or slow, come back from dead or must be infected, and the situation with animals(Ive got 4 cats Id be dead and in the litter box by morning)

katanas are a horrible idea due to user's proximity to tainted blood.

not bad for a last resort I suppose.

MeanMan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeanMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2009 at 12:57pm
28 days later Zombies... They were freaky.

hybrid-sniper~"To be honest, if I see a player still using an Impulse I'm going to question their motives."
Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2009 at 1:00pm
The internet loves zombies and bacon.
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2009 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by Linus Linus wrote:

Not fail safe as there's no guarantee that the gators will get every zombie, or even a majority of them.

Wasn't meant to be a fail-safe, simply an aide.

Think about it, as the gators learn that food is in the area, more will arrive and begin chomping down on zombie.

Plus, the everglades are miles and miles of flat. I put up a stilt-house in the middle of a plain and I can see them coming. A few high-powered rifles and I can pick them off.

All I need to do is find a good fresh-water spring and I am set. I can fish and forage for the rest of my sustenance. Not to mention, like weather plays into cold scenarios, the heat, humidity and standing water of the 'Glades will rot a human body much quicker, rendering them weak and useless. It's the same reason why people who are really looking to get rid of dead bodies often dump them off in the Everglades.

Edited by agentwhale007 - 03 January 2009 at 1:02pm
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

a_sock View Drop Down
closet MILSIMer, rides WAAHMbulance

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a_sock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2009 at 1:02pm

yeah... but then again will blood on you turn you? that would suck, imagine massacering hundreds of zombies with your super sword skills and then turning because of all the blood....alternativly I could ducktape a knife to a long stick, get on my roof and just poke zombies in the head when the get close...

if you had no clue of how people got infected, but you were exposed to tainted blood would you tell someone or take your own life as a precaution? what about if you were bitten, scratched, etc.?  I think id try and wait it out, quarentine myself like in a closet with some veggies and a combination lock on the door. that way if I do change I cant get out because zombeis are too stupid/uncowardinated(sp) to use a lock.

its easy to be famous, just set yourself on fire
Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 5/19, Filter-dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2009 at 1:13pm
took my mosin m44 out yesterday and put about 30 shots through her.  after that and doing an arm intensive workout last night, my shoulder is a little sore to say the least.  also, resting the butt on your collar bone is a horrible idea, thought i broke it at first.   I found out it will go through a few inches of paper, 4ish inches of wood, and still around a foot into clay before stopping.  It also loves to play with cinder blocks at about 80m. 

One of the gun shops around here has some 7.62x54 priced at 7.00/20. only drawback is that they are from 1950-1970, but they still fire perfectly.  I think I'll stock up on some of those while they have them.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2009 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by a_sock a_sock wrote:

you would have to stop for supplies, food, gas, weapons of some sort.  it also makes noise, which means it will attract them.

does anyone think if you cranked your paintball guns fps up as high as it will allow, put marbles in it, would it harm a zombie? what about pencils/pens or nails? I dont have any firearms... Ive got fully functional katana's though...And if we are to get deeper into this discusion we must clear up the origins of the zombies, if they are fast or slow, come back from dead or must be infected, and the situation with animals(Ive got 4 cats Id be dead and in the litter box by morning)

Zack is animated by means of a retrovirus. This means that the infected must be alive at the time of infection for the virus to take effect. In essence, the retro-virus is similar to rabies in the way it concentrates in the brain, but continues to allow locomotion in the infected even after systemic shutdown of all other organs. In short, the zombie virus infects the brain and allows the brain to continue sending electrical pulses for the most basic of motive functions to the requisite muscles to allow the infected to spread the infection more readily. In a sense, it is taking the AIDS retro-virus a step further in the sense that the infection takes over the whole body for it's process of survival rather than just the immune system.

The myth of the "Fast Zack" is just that, a myth. The retrovirus is only capable of giving the brain low-level functionality which would impede the infected from being able to move at more than a shamble. Furthermore, lack of circulation and oxygen means increased cellular degeneration, weakening the muscles to a point where anything more than the basics of locomotion are impossible. Indeed, eventually the cellular degeneration would reach the point that the zombies would simply rot away if given enough time and the right environmental conditions. It must be remembered, however, that the severed head of a zombie is still active unless the brain has been damaged to the point of termination. The retro-virus controls the brain and through the brain controls all other motor functions. If bitten by the severed head of a Zack, you WILL be infected. Hence edged weapons should be used as a last resort and blunt weapons are a better alternative if hand-to-hand combat becomes necessary.

Furthermore, it must be realized that Zack uses his ominous 'moan' to alert others in the area to the presence of the uninfected. Zombies still retain the use of their hearing and sound is one of the tell-tail signs that prey is nearby. This is why large-scale military operations would be doomed to fail as the massive amount of noise generated by an army on the move would attract all of the zombies within hearing distance. The shear volume of zombies would overwhelm the front and make their way to the rear echelons where the C&C resources would be rendered helpless throwing the whole order of battle into disarray. It should also be noted that traditional military weapons of superiority (artillery, armor, and aircraft) have little affect on Zack as only the destruction of their brain will put them down. Shrapnel will take down a living soldier, but to Zack, it isn't even an annoyance. Furthermore, the idea of fire as a weapon against the zombie hordes is laughable at best. The vast majority of fire burning deaths can be attributed to shock from the pain, asphyxiation from the fire using up the oxygen in the immediate surroundings, and massive infection. None of these will affect Zack. Furthermore, due to cellular degeneration of the dermis, Zack may even be too soggy to set alight. Even if you do succeed in catching a zombie on fire, all you will do is create a walking torch which will pose even more of a threat to you and yours.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2009 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by Linus Linus wrote:

Meh, I don't like the idea of being confined to a track... or if another train comes... or if a vehicle is blocking a train-crossing.

Actually there would be no other trains running, and the idea of a car blocking the crossing is laughable. Even a regular train hitting a car is total destruction to the car and it takes a mile to stop the train WITH brakes, let alone an armored military train. It took a shot from the tank and the train running into the tank to stop it. The train also had guns on it so you could shoot on the move. If any zombies get in the way it would be like pennies on the rail, they would just be flattened.
RocoriSpartans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RocoriSpartans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2009 at 2:17pm
Since Zack has to bite you to infect you, wouldn't full body chainmill or knights armor would be best protection in close quarters?  Not made of steel maybe of titanium otherwise when they knock you over your screwed.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2009 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by RocoriSpartans RocoriSpartans wrote:

Since Zack has to bite you to infect you, wouldn't full body chainmill or knights armor would be best protection in close quarters?  Not made of steel maybe of titanium otherwise when they knock you over your screwed.

No, close combat with Zack is always a last resort as they usually attack in groups which can overpower even the strongest of aggressors with their numbers easily. Furthermore, Zack doesn't need to bite you to infect you. Blood or other bodily fluids can infect you through contact with an open wound, sore, or even your eyes or mouth.
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2009 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by MeanMan MeanMan wrote:

28 days later Zombies... They were freaky.

28 Days Later aren't textbook zombies though. They aren't dead. They are just filled with rage and want to kill. Hence the whole "Rage virus" thing they talk about.

Edited by Linus - 03 January 2009 at 2:32pm

Beil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2009 at 3:38pm

reloading equipment FTW. once i run out of steel/lead shot for my Mossberg 500, i can start loading nickels, dimes, whatever will fit into the cases. my brother can pick them off with his .308 savage.

I do it fast, slow, hard, and easy. I sometimes even do it in the woods. Yeah, I'm a runner.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2009 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by Beil Beil wrote:

reloading equipment FTW. once i run out of steel/lead shot for my Mossberg 500, i can start loading nickels, dimes, whatever will fit into the cases. my brother can pick them off with his .308 savage.

Why invest in reloading equipment if you're going to do that? Just buy a blunderbuss and a lot of black powder.
JohnnyHopper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I.O.U. a punch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2009 at 4:23pm
How do you handle Thriller type zombies? You know, the smooth formally black undead child molestors with crazy moves? Zombie gators are no problem. It's the zombie squirrels and their relentless quest for fresh nuts that worry me.
My shoes of peace have steel toes.
.636 View Drop Down
Strike 1, 9/13 inappropiate post content

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .636 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2009 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by JohnnyHopper JohnnyHopper wrote:

How do you handle Thriller type zombies? You know, the smooth formally black undead child molestors with crazy moves? Zombie gators are no problem. It's the zombie squirrels and their relentless quest for fresh nuts that worry me.

Thats raaaaaaaacist
merc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
American Scotchy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2009 at 5:06pm
^x2 a shot to the head should work... dont ask me why no ones tried it yet, still trying to figure it out my self...
saving the world, one warship at a time.
Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Master of MSPaint and bri's Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2009 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Zack is animated by means of a retrovirus...

We've come across a problem:

Are we talking about the George Romero dead, slow, resilient zombies; or the 28 days later, alive, evolved-rabies-ish-virus infected? While the latter is thousands of times more likely, there are those who insist on talking about the former. Survival techniques against both are generally unimplementable at the same time in real life.

I've got my own solutions to both.

Against both types of infected, accurate and medium-small rifle calibers are ideal. A slow/dead zombie is already rotting away and is an easy target. Shooting at anything other than heads is near useless, unless you want to wade through a field of fallen zombies and take out their heads one by one after the battle (not at all safe). You're better off taking careful shots, even in close quarters.

Fighting fast/alive infected would also be wasteful with large calibers. With all that adrenaline pumping and all their hyperventilating and high heart rates, single shots can have infected bleeding out in no time. I would suggest larger calibers (around 7.62) for this type of threat, as we know what happens when drugged up people get shot with M-16s (nothing). Also remember, this type is still alive and still has a functioning body. If you're thinking of long term fort defense, single shots anywhere on the body will leave wounds that will quickly become infected.

The differences in survival come in fortifications. Slow/dead zombies are strong and never tire. A good first floor defense is paramount. Fast/alive infected tire, but can climb and jump and run. All of a building's windows and doors need to be fortified, and the walls had better have smooth sides if you want to hang out on the roof.

Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

Everglades.

Still water is a haven for bacteria and all those mosquitoes would greatly increase the chance of an infection (zombie or otherwise) of reaching you. It's great if you can find enough cheese cloth and a fresh source food and water, but only against fast/alive infected.

a_sock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a_sock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2009 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by JohnnyHopper JohnnyHopper wrote:

wow you made me fall off my chair laughing....and the squirrel thing....!

eh so are we in agreement that no matter what type of zombies/zacks there are that they can turn an animal, and maybe an insect? like what are the probable chances, for rabes style yeah, slow dead/undead zombies Im not sure. animals are smaller, so wouldnt they rot fairly quickly/loose motor function easily? and if its just simple brain function do we think insects would even retain any at all after infection? because zombie mosquitoes would be soooo damn deadly, gunfire will do litte, they are hard to see in small numbers, can infiltrate and turn allies without your knowledge, it be hell.

__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Voted 2010 Most Improved Forumer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2009 at 7:01pm

Styro and I were discussing this the other night.

We'd get a small group of friends, main weapon needs would be crowbar (for multi purpose use) automatic rifle, shotgun and a long range rifle.

I personally think being in a rural area would be the best bet, because A) less population to go zombie on you. and B) gun stores with ammo and guns (duh) are easy to find in more rural areas.

Ammo > you.

Unfortunatly im skinny beyond a normal level, so id b screwed in the cold. But i do great in the heat, so id probly try to hide in a tiny island waaaay far away from any other people.

a_sock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a_sock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2009 at 7:16pm
eh the crowbar is heavy/slow to bring up, Id keep a baseball bat on me, something light/maybe corked or something.

so does everyone encorporate guns into their plan? are you just pulling this out of your closest or outa a hat? I doubt the ppl at an ammo store are going to give it up easily, plus if you dont own a gun can you use it?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic