FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How the Shenk stole Christmas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2010 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by Enos Shenk Enos Shenk wrote:

Oh lordy, I forgot about this. We need to drag Whale out back and beat him for breaking with tradition.

ssok saved christmas on Mother.

Saved Christmas on Mother 2010 title plz?
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2011 at 5:01pm

Edited by SSOK - 17 December 2011 at 5:03pm
Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Actuarry itís Skirret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2011 at 10:04pm
Whale needs to update the Christmas stuff.
ammolord View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammolord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2011 at 10:07pm
Agreed.
PSN Tag: AmmoLord
XBL: xXAmmoLordXx

~Minister of Tinkering With Things That Go "BOOM!"(AKA Minister of Munitions)~
Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2011 at 12:01am
 Looks like I did it again.
Tical3.0 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
this space for rent

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tical3.0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2011 at 3:35am
I don't even know what's going on be me <3's you gypsies Merry Christmas - Happy Holidays is fer the terrerests
I ♣ hippies.
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2011 at 8:24am
I heard a good one the other day which I quite appreciate.

Calling it Xmas is like crossing out Christ. I thought that was quite poignant expression so have adopted it.

Merry Christmas everyone.

We also need a swag page......

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2011 at 8:29am

"Xmas" is a common abbreviation of the word "Christmas". It is sometimes pronounced /ˈɛksməs/, but it, and variants such as "Xtemass", originated as handwriting abbreviations for the typical pronunciation /ˈkrɪsməs/. The "-mas" part is from the Latin-derived Old English word for "Mass",[1] while the "X" comes from the Greek letter Chi, which is the first letter of the Greek word Χριστός, translated as "Christ".[2]

There is a common misconception that the word Xmas is a secular attempt to remove the religious tradition from Christmas[3] by taking the "Christ" out of "Christmas".

Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2011 at 11:45am
Huh. Something new every day.

I will admit I am getting slightly offended with the other religions attempts to remove the religious tradition of Christmas by making it a "holiday" celebration, yet insisting on recognition for Eid or Dewvali or whatever.

Thanks for the correction.

KBK

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
ammolord View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammolord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2011 at 12:04pm
PSN Tag: AmmoLord
XBL: xXAmmoLordXx

~Minister of Tinkering With Things That Go "BOOM!"(AKA Minister of Munitions)~
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2011 at 4:43pm
I have no problem with saying xmas, it is literally just the shorter form which is nice when typing.
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Currently awaiting brand new strikes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2011 at 8:45pm
One of my mums pals is called Christine and she would wrie t as Xtine. Dunno if it's a chicken/egg situation but there you go.
The Reaper "And yet... His facebook says he "likes" Coons..."
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2011 at 10:40pm
heheheh...

I went to "Nobody on the internet likes me" to "Miss Tippmann Forum 2007" to "The Savior of Christmas"

te-he. 

Edit:
WHERE IS SANTACHEWP?

Edited by SSOK - 18 December 2011 at 10:47pm
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2011 at 4:22pm
I remember being younger, and every year wishing I'd be included. LOL Oh the things that used to matter.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2011 at 10:19am
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

I remember being younger, and every year wishing I'd be included. LOL Oh the things that used to matter.

I still wish I was included.

):
Boss_DJ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
hey bud, let’s party!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss_DJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2011 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by evillepaintball evillepaintball wrote:

"Xmas" is a common abbreviation of the word "Christmas". It is sometimes pronounced /ˈɛksməs/, but it, and variants such as "Xtemass", originated as handwriting abbreviations for the typical pronunciation /ˈkrɪsməs/. The "-mas" part is from the Latin-derived Old English word for "Mass",[1] while the "X" comes from the Greek letter Chi, which is the first letter of the Greek word Χριστός, translated as "Christ".[2]

There is a common misconception that the word Xmas is a secular attempt to remove the religious tradition from Christmas[3] by taking the "Christ" out of "Christmas".

It's the intention, doesn't matter what the true definition is. Some people will call a homosexual gay because that's what they are and its the correct adjective. Others use gay as a racial slur. The true meaning is just another way of saying Christmas but people and organizations also use the word to take Christ out of the equation.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2011 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by Boss_DJ Boss_DJ wrote:

Originally posted by evillepaintball evillepaintball wrote:

It's the intention, doesn't matter what the true definition is. Some people will call a homosexual gay because that's what they are and its the correct adjective. Others use gay as a racial slur. The true meaning is just another way of saying Christmas but people and organizations also use the word to take Christ out of the equation.

Do you have any documentation?  Or are you a mind reader now?
Boss_DJ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
hey bud, let’s party!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss_DJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2011 at 12:46pm
What?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2011 at 12:49pm
<citation needed>
Boss_DJ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
hey bud, let’s party!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss_DJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2011 at 1:07pm
You don't really need a citation. It's human behavior. The connotation behind a word is more powerful than its actual meaning. I understand your explanation and its true but people can distort words where they lose their true meaning/origin.

I agree people say X-mas as a shortened version of Christmas with no intention of deteriating the religious aspect of the holiday but people also do use X-mas as a way to celebrate the commercial side of the holiday without involving Christianity.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic