Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Just curious

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Zata View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just curious
    Posted: 20 December 2008 at 9:58pm
Say you buy a possibly stolen lap top or any computer for that matter.  Is there a way to track it back down based on the IP address or something if you connect to the internet at any point?

All I'm gonna say is something came up and made me think about this.
adrenalinejunky View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

strike 1 11/24/08 language

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrenalinejunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2008 at 10:06pm
not by the ip address.

only way to do it(that i'm aware of) would be by serial number, or lojack. assuming the hard-drive was wiped after it being stolen that is. i've never heard of os's broadcasting serial numbers, but i wouldnt bet on it being outside the realm of possibility.
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2008 at 10:20pm
Yes.... RUN!

Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2008 at 11:02pm
Aye, your NIC broadcasts a fixed MAC address.  It is possible to spoof it, but I've never done it.

I'd avoid buying stolen hardware. 
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2008 at 12:40am
Originally posted by Darur Darur wrote:

Aye, your NIC broadcasts a fixed MAC address.

Yeah, but does that make it any further than the nearest router?
Santa Chewp View Drop Down
Ninja Santa

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Santa Chewp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2008 at 5:14am
There is software avalable that makes it possible to track a laptop when its plugged in, but by default, no
[IMG]http://i9.tinypic.com/8f3jo8l.jpg">
Zata View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2008 at 9:39am
I'm surprised I didn't get any sarcastic answers accusing me of anything.

Anyways heres the story, nothing big.  My brother in law is a thug whos in and out of jail all the time.  Hes currently out (although hes wanted) and I guess he bought a Mac for $100 but then turned around and sold it.  I was thinking that I would have bought it but then I was wondering if it was possible to track it down.
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2008 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by High Voltage High Voltage wrote:

Not sure, but I have heard of cases where it was used against people. I'm not sure if they were on the same network though.
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
mbro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2008 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by Zata Zata wrote:

I'm surprised I didn't get any sarcastic answers accusing me of anything.Anyways heres the story, nothing big.  My brother in law is a thug whos in and out of jail all the time.  Hes currently out (although hes wanted) and I guess he bought a Mac for $100 but then turned around and sold it.  I was thinking that I would have bought it but then I was wondering if it was possible to track it down.
Your sister sounds smart.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
Zata View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2008 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by mbro mbro wrote:

I'm surprised I didn't get any sarcastic answers accusing me of anything.Anyways heres the story, nothing big.  My brother in law is a thug whos in and out of jail all the time.  Hes currently out (although hes wanted) and I guess he bought a Mac for $100 but then turned around and sold it.  I was thinking that I would have bought it but then I was wondering if it was possible to track it down.

wth I didn't mean brother in law, I meant step brother.
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2008 at 12:41am

Originally posted by mbro mbro wrote:

wth I didn't mean brother in law, I meant step brother.

Just admit you stole a laptop.
t_hop View Drop Down
Streike 1, 5/16 filter dodge/inapp. link

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_hop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2008 at 1:13am
haha exactly what i was thinking^^
"I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum."
Apu View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Funny/Ironic Title

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2008 at 2:07am
I sense this thread getting locked. Bat signal? 
I need a new Sig...
Kingtiger View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Now with 100% more Fail

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingtiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2008 at 9:05pm
IBTL
Steam: Kingtiger125
mod98commando View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mod98commando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2008 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by High Voltage High Voltage wrote:

Originally posted by Darur Darur wrote:

Aye, your NIC broadcasts a fixed MAC address.

The MAC address would probably be the only way to identify that computer but I'm not sure if it is forwarded beyond the first router. I think it might be but I'm not sure. In any case, you could avoid that issue altogether by buying a new network adapter and connecting to the internet with that. Or you could spoof the MAC address but I'm not sure what that involves since I've never done it.
oreomann33: Everybody invades Poland
Rofl_Mao: And everyone eats turkey
Me: But only if they're hungary
Mack: Yeah but hungary people go russian through their food and end up with greece on everyth
Zata View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2008 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by Apu Apu wrote:

I sense this thread getting locked. Bat signal? 

Yeah I was wondering if it would get locked or not.  I think this is quite educational.
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2008 at 6:27am
My friends PC got stolen, and someone hooked it up to the 'netz and it dialed home.

He had it doing automated calculation updating or something, and he saw the host was still receiving updates. I'll have to ask if he ever did anything about tracking it down. I don't think he did very much as the insurance upgraded him from a 1.2Ghz to a 4Ghz quad core, IIRC.

KBK
Styro Folme View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styro Folme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2008 at 3:59am
Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

My friends PC got stolen, and someone hooked it up to the 'netz and it dialed home.

He had it doing automated calculation updating or something, and he saw the host was still receiving updates. I'll have to ask if he ever did anything about tracking it down. I don't think he did very much as the insurance upgraded him from a 1.2Ghz to a 4Ghz quad core, IIRC.

KBK

Insurance win.  Who wants to steal my Pavilion?
X
Ford View Drop Down
Guested on X-Mas day, It’s Coal for Him

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2008 at 4:13am
I know what you done,

Edited by Ford - 24 December 2008 at 4:14am
mod98commando View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mod98commando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2008 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Styro Folme Styro Folme wrote:

Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

KBK

Insurance win.  Who wants to steal my Pavilion?

I'll do it if we can split the money
oreomann33: Everybody invades Poland
Rofl_Mao: And everyone eats turkey
Me: But only if they're hungary
Mack: Yeah but hungary people go russian through their food and end up with greece on everyth
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic