Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best Sniper Markers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
KSTIPPHEAD View Drop Down
Strike 1 - Language, 10/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KSTIPPHEAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2008 at 11:49pm
Tippmann 98 Custom.  16" Progressive barrel.  HPA tank of some kind (infinitely better for consistency, a key factor in accurate shooting).

If accuracy is more important to you than rate of fire, and you want to put the whole kit together for $300 or less, then that would be a good way to go.
Ken Majors View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Tree? What tree? OW!!!! Dangit!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken Majors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2008 at 7:04am
Best sniper marker is a pistol.

Walk up behind sniper....one shot, one kill.
RLTW
Robotech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robotech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2008 at 1:02pm

I think he means he has so many CO2 tanks he isn't interested in switching over to HPA thus he needs a regulator...which makes sense to me considering he has nowhere to fill his tanks while out playing. 

I have a Warsensor WS66 and a MilTec MT66 along with an A5.  I'm still new to the A5 so I really can't give you a reliable comparison between it and my 66s.

The WS66 and MT66 are the same marker just with different names and configured differently (the WS66 is the "Barrett" looking marker in my signature while the MT66 is the M4/M203 marker).  Both shoot very well and are increadibly reliable.  Both of them I hook up to regulated CO2, load my Evil paint, and will go out and have a trouble free day of paintball...or weekend if I'm playing scenario.  As long as you treat them well after the weekend of play they have never let me down and the WS66 is over four years old.

For accuracy, check this out.  This is shooting paint that's about 3 months old and wasn't rotated so it's pretty well dimpled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELXxtr212bs

New to the sport?

Proud owner of a WS-66 A-5 ACP
WildDestroyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildDestroyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2008 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by t_hop t_hop wrote:

Originally posted by WildDestroyer WildDestroyer wrote:

Originally posted by DeTrevni DeTrevni wrote:

I want an 86 oz. tank so bad...

Sorry, I mean I've got 86 total. Its actually
three 20s, a 12, and a 9. Whoops, and that's only

what i don't understand is how you having an obscene
number of tanks means you need a regulator. A regulator
would certainly improve shot to shot performance and
consistency but it wouldn't matter how much extra c02
you have.

You mistook me. I meant that I need a regulator because I use CO2, not compressed air or N2. And I don't see how that amount is obscene. I go through that in one day.
Who needs a gun to win?
MeanMan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeanMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2008 at 3:23pm
Alright, this thread is getting wacky.

Since you use so much air, it's down to either a Compressed Air tank
with a Scuba refill or your tanks and a palmers. I'd go CO2 and palmers
because you can carry an extra tank with you and itll be cheaper.

Gun wise, I suggest an A5. Since your out there playing for hours,
batteries will suck. The Cyclone will be good because it won't stay on or
make rediculous noise. Then there's always the possibility of getting an
RT or Egrip.

Barrel, I'd go with whatever you like. I love my CP 2piece, but others are
the JJ Ceramic and the Lapco Bigshot.

Get a good mask if you don't have one already. I notice if your mask is
going to fog, it'll be in the woods.

hybrid-sniper~"To be honest, if I see a player still using an Impulse I'm going to question their motives."
thejudge View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thejudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2008 at 9:56am

Originally posted by MeanMan MeanMan wrote:

RT or Egrip.

plus the A5 is an easy marker to care for and it will throw down ropes when you need it to.

And 86oz of CO2 per day of play... how many rounds of paint do you go through?

Stay low, run fast, and hope that paintball doesn't hit your...
a_sock View Drop Down
closet MILSIMer, rides WAAHMbulance

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a_sock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2008 at 11:31am
Originally posted by thejudge thejudge wrote:

Originally posted by MeanMan MeanMan wrote:

RT or Egrip.

plus the A5 is an easy marker to care for and it will throw down ropes when you need it to.

And 86oz of CO2 per day of play... how many rounds of paint do you go through?

Yeah I was wondering that myself, and another thing, why would you have all of that on you? even if your not playing at a legal feild and you dont have quick access to refills why would you carry that all on you? COUldnt you just put 1 tank on your gun and keep the rest somewhere else?

I saw a guy once at castle who had a huge scuba tank on his back, but he was slow and got shot out a lot. If I am going to shoot a lot of paint in one match, most likely a scenario game(My droid has yet to drain all of my 45/45 yet in 1 xball match) Ill just use a 68/45, but I find thats even heavy and almost too much at times.
its easy to be famous, just set yourself on fire
thejudge View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thejudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2008 at 3:19pm
its in a few different tanks he said but that s still alot of paint.   and i thik he only has one on him at a time.
Stay low, run fast, and hope that paintball doesn't hit your...
taytay117117 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taytay117117 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2008 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by a_sock a_sock wrote:

in before the crazy/overdone debates...starting to think we need to put together a small package that tippmann will just send someone when they join the forum, and enclosed in that letter would be a small description/explanation of all myths, common misconseptions, things to know etc.....

wild im sure you wont understand the above but you will....

ok, Im assuming your fairly new at this and Ill try to answer everything.  there is no such thing as sniping in paintball, but if you want a good quality marker/setup that gives good consistency and accuracy that is possible. No marker shoots harder than another as long as there shootings the same fps, and most markers shoot fairly similar to eachother.  A5's are great to begin with and a 16" barrel is within the ideal length of barrels.  the A5 package you are looking at seems ok, except the 20" barrel. 20" is too long, you would be wise to stay within the 14-16" range. although the advertisement says it will give good accuracy and range, its not.

the longer barrell (20 inch) does help if u stay back (defently not for close combat) but if it is 20 inchs the ball is set on a straighter trajectery

a_sock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a_sock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2008 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by taytay117117 taytay117117 wrote:

[QUOTE=a_sock]

in before the crazy/overdone debates...starting to think we need to put together a small package that tippmann will just send someone when they join the forum, and enclosed in that letter would be a small description/explanation of all myths, common misconseptions, things to know etc.....

wild im sure you wont understand the above but you will....

ok, Im assuming your fairly new at this and Ill try to answer everything.  there is no such thing as sniping in paintball, but if you want a good quality marker/setup that gives good consistency and accuracy that is possible. No marker shoots harder than another as long as there shootings the same fps, and most markers shoot fairly similar to eachother.  A5's are great to begin with and a 16" barrel is within the ideal length of barrels.  the A5 package you are looking at seems ok, except the 20" barrel. 20" is too long, you would be wise to stay within the 14-16" range. although the advertisement says it will give good accuracy and range, its not.

[/QUOTE

the longer barrell (20 inch) does help if u stay back (defently not for close combat) but if it is 20 inchs the ball is set on a straighter trajectery

Umm actually no. A 20"+ barrel only provides downsides and constant problems, NO matter What position/distance you are at. first to answer/correct your post, a 20" barrel will not set the ball on a straighter trajectory, its not going to make your shot any more accurate, its not going to increase the range, its not going to do what you are claiming it does. A 20" barrel will make it more difficult to maneuver, can decrease efficiency by being a gas hog, and it will never make your shot more accurate or go farther, so theirs no real pros to balance out all the cons to such a long barrel.

Eh just to try and clear something up, what is long range, normal range and close quarters fighting range in paintball? I mean, in my oppinion having a very short or very long barrel because you want to be better at close or short range combat seems silly. I do fine shooting at a paintballs maximum range with a 14", and I feel fine bunkering someone with a 14". sure, you could play tighter with a 3" barrel or something but It would inconvienience you in all other situations, same with a 20".

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildDestroyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2008 at 8:00pm
I go through about 2k in an 18-20 hour day of paintball. I never said that I carried all of my air with me. We either change up between games, or hide our stuff in brush during longer matches (which always allows for in game sabotage, but we give it back afterwards).

Also, I'm thinking I'll get the A-5 from the first URL, and just use one of my shorter barrels with it. It saves a buck, gets me a collapsible stock, and I can equipt the 20" walking into a match just for the intimidation.

Edited by WildDestroyer - 24 December 2008 at 8:05pm
Who needs a gun to win?
a_sock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a_sock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2008 at 9:54pm
so you go through 2 thousand rounds? so basically a case. I kind of doubt your also doing 18-20 hours of paintball in 1 day... On a long day I might get 8 in.
Glad to hear your going to use your using barrels above and below the most beneficial range the majority of us hear have advised
Captain Falcon View Drop Down
strike 2 11/24/08 quoting offensive post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2008 at 9:19pm
There are no snipers....
ammolord View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammolord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2008 at 11:29pm
the snipers are a lie.
PSN Tag: AmmoLord
XBL: xXAmmoLordXx

~Minister of Tinkering With Things That Go "BOOM!"(AKA Minister of Munitions)~
Robotech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robotech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2008 at 11:35am

If he wants to use a 20" what's wrong with that?  So long as he knows it really is only going to be for looks and he MIGHT get a little quieter shot but he will use more gas then what does it matter if he still chooses to use it. 

I run a 20" barrel on one of my markers...I like the way it makes the marker look.  I get a ton of compliments on it.  Do I think it makes me an uber-sniper?  No.  Do other people think I am...I'm sure.  Do more experianced players think I'm a noob that thinks he's a sniper...I'm pretty positive there are some that do.  However, once people see how I play that kind of understand that I don't think myself as a "sniper".  This past weekend I did have a couple one ball kills from about 150-200 feet away (I was on top of a very tall hill...they were at the bottom...) but that doesn't make me a "sniper" any more than the 20" barrel does. 

Maybe he'll hate how akward it is to manuver a barrel of that length or how it limits his play behind bunkers or maybe he'll love how he can push the barrel past cover and use brush for cover that most player's can't.  It's his call and in the end up to him. 

New to the sport?

a_sock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a_sock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2008 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by Robotech Robotech wrote:

If he wants to use a 20" what's wrong with that?  So long as he knows it really is only going to be for looks and he MIGHT get a little quieter shot but he will use more gas then what does it matter if he still chooses to use it. 

I run a 20" barrel on one of my markers...I like the way it makes the marker look.  I get a ton of compliments on it.  Do I think it makes me an uber-sniper?  No.  Do other people think I am...I'm sure.  Do more experianced players think I'm a noob that thinks he's a sniper...I'm pretty positive there are some that do.  However, once people see how I play that kind of understand that I don't think myself as a "sniper".  This past weekend I did have a couple one ball kills from about 150-200 feet away (I was on top of a very tall hill...they were at the bottom...) but that doesn't make me a "sniper" any more than the 20" barrel does. 

Maybe he'll hate how akward it is to manuver a barrel of that length or how it limits his play behind bunkers or maybe he'll love how he can push the barrel past cover and use brush for cover that most player's can't.  It's his call and in the end up to him. 

Yeah but the title of the thread is best sniper marker, and hes asking for accuracy and performance not looks, so the whole 20" barrel thing is not going to fly. If your trying to snap, move, turn your marker to aim past 20 degrees in any direction, want to play tight, want to be able to walk past trees and bushes with ease hes not going to use a 20" barrel. It can alter the markers performance(both good and bad) but it mainly affects your own personal movements.

So how do you play that allows you to do well with a 20" barrel? are you one of those guys who camps or what? the way I play and the crazy shots I can pull off some people say damn your like a sniper with that(droid) because Ive shot peoples barrel tips sticking out, Ive shot 3 balls and had all of them land on a guys head while he was diving into snake, and I almost always get someone off the break. In the woods, Ive got the quietest gun out there, many have rushed on me because they thought i wasnt shooting paint or out of air, and ive put a ball on their face easy.  Many have thought there was no one holding an area but im belly down in thick grass pickign them off one by one without them hearing. At the local woodsball feild on scenario days they have turkey shoots, ive been chosen as a gunner among others while some guy wearing just boxers and a mask runs 100 feet to see if he can get less hits than others doing the event, and Ive actually stoped a guy from finishing because I put too many shots of his lens and he couldnt see anymore(I was using different fill color so I knew it was me), and they also have sniper competetions, basically  an average target, each ring worth points, 5 shots from 125' exactly. a lot of people with big sniper setups with 20" barrels enter, guys with normal sized barrels enter, tippmanns, ions, vices, egos, pretty much every type of gun and I get double the score of almost everyone(lol last event a guy with a spyder and an 18" beat a guy with an ego... i laughed my head off...)

This thread is under which gun is best, and he wants to know what setup will yeild the best accuracy and performance. Get air, a good regulator, and a decent barrel, preferably a kit, within the 12-16" average lenght range. an A5 will do alright for accuracy if you do this, but you have to remember the biggest factor in accuracy is the user, so as long as you can aim comfortably and move easily with whatever barrel you chose you will be fine. You dont want a huge barrel because it will hinder your personal accuracy in many situations(not all, but a large chunk) 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildDestroyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2008 at 1:49pm

so you go through 2 thousand rounds? so basically a case. I kind of doubt your also doing 18-20 hours of paintball in 1 day... On a long day I might get 8 in.
Glad to hear your going to use your using barrels above and below the most beneficial range the majority of us hear have advised

Who through a mouse in your shoe? Who are you to tell me how long I'm allowed to play anyway? When I play paintball, I play paintball. We usually start at nine or ten and go till afterdark. I've even been in a few overnighters. And I never specified the length of the smaller barrels that I would use. Acording to umm, everyone 14-16" is ideal, and I was planning on using a 14". Plus, I'll probobly buy a Spyder-Tippmann adapter so I can use my 9", 12."

Robotech: Read your guides, they were very well thought out, and cleared some stuff up- thanks.
Who needs a gun to win?
Robotech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robotech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2008 at 2:03pm

Thanks WD.

A-sock...no, I do move up.  How do I play?  Mainly a standup rifleman.  I'm not as young as I once was and am far better and putting people back in their bunkers than running up and pressing in tight in the forward bunkers.  I have no problem putting paint wherever I want it.  Through a 2" hole at 75', between branches, popping hoppers as they come up over a ridge like this last weekend, hitting people from 150' out with a copule well placed shots, or covering 2/3rds of a field and taking out people who thought they were safe.

I had people just this weekend comment on how straight the marker shot, how far it seemed to shoot, and it's accuracy at long range.  I never rack up huge elimination numbers but I do my part to keep the guys that rush forward safe when they move and I do it very well.  I can play the "marksman" role but generally speaking supporting the team does a lot more to winning a game than going solo...and it seems the only why out here to consistantly rack up those "Sniper" type shots outside the occasional opportunity would be to go solo.  I just don't do that. So whether I'm shooting the "Barrett" (which actually was built to be an Anti-Tank gun and hence the size) or the M4/M203...I guess you'd call me a support player.  Need accurate cover fire, I'm your guy.  Need that building or tank taken out...I'm on it.  Couple guys that are exposing a shoe 100' up...I'll take the shot.  That's me...support.  (note the picture of me playing in my sig with said 20" barrel)

All I was getting at was if the guy listens to all the advice and decides to play with a 20" barrel (which he hasn't) there is no need to ridicule him for his choice.  For me, I could probably have aspects of my game which would improve with a smaller, lighter marker but I wouldn't look forward to playing as much as I do now...It just wouldn't be as enjoyable for me.  In the end, I'm out here to have fun and if that means I go out with a 20" barrel and a marker that weighs in at 12lbs to do so then who is anyone to tell me it's "wrong".  To me, everything else about paintball comes second to me enjoying it.  When that stops being the case is the day I stop playing.

Edited by Robotech - 29 December 2008 at 2:15pm
New to the sport?

a_sock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a_sock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2008 at 3:07pm

Originally posted by WildDestroyer WildDestroyer wrote:

Who through a mouse in your shoe? Who are you to tell me how long I'm allowed to play anyway? When I play paintball, I play paintball. We usually start at nine or ten and go till afterdark. I've even been in a few overnighters. And I never specified the length of the smaller barrels that I would use. Acording to umm, everyone 14-16" is ideal, and I was planning on using a 14". Plus, I'll probobly buy a Spyder-Tippmann adapter so I can use my 9", 12."

Robotech: Read your guides, they were very well thought out, and cleared some stuff up- thanks.

I like mice. 

Read that you wanted to just get a 20", post was towards that comment, with your current descision id agree that would work out best. Not saying how long you can play, i just thought you ment consectutive hours of play, I mean, actually playing 18 hours straight, if your camping or doing an all nighter thats not actual play time, Im assuming you take large breaks or spend your time doing something else, not just constant paintball.

Originally posted by Robotech Robotech wrote:

Thanks WD.

A-sock...no, I do move up.  How do I play?  Mainly a standup rifleman.  I'm not as young as I once was and am far better and putting people back in their bunkers than running up and pressing in tight in the forward bunkers.  I have no problem putting paint wherever I want it.  Through a 2" hole at 75', between branches, popping hoppers as they come up over a ridge like this last weekend, hitting people from 150' out with a copule well placed shots, or covering 2/3rds of a field and taking out people who thought they were safe.

I had people just this weekend comment on how straight the marker shot, how far it seemed to shoot, and it's accuracy at long range.  I never rack up huge elimination numbers but I do my part to keep the guys that rush forward safe when they move and I do it very well.  I can play the "marksman" role but generally speaking supporting the team does a lot more to winning a game than going solo...and it seems the only why out here to consistantly rack up those "Sniper" type shots outside the occasional opportunity would be to go solo.  I just don't do that. So whether I'm shooting the "Barrett" (which actually was built to be an Anti-Tank gun and hence the size) or the M4/M203...I guess you'd call me a support player.  Need accurate cover fire, I'm your guy.  Need that building or tank taken out...I'm on it.  Couple guys that are exposing a shoe 100' up...I'll take the shot.  That's me...support.  (note the picture of me playing in my sig with said 20" barrel)

All I was getting at was if the guy listens to all the advice and decides to play with a 20" barrel (which he hasn't) there is no need to ridicule him for his choice.  For me, I could probably have aspects of my game which would improve with a smaller, lighter marker but I wouldn't look forward to playing as much as I do now...It just wouldn't be as enjoyable for me.  In the end, I'm out here to have fun and if that means I go out with a 20" barrel and a marker that weighs in at 12lbs to do so then who is anyone to tell me it's "wrong".  To me, everything else about paintball comes second to me enjoying it.  When that stops being the case is the day I stop playing.

Not to say anything is wrong with the way anyone plays, its just that its not perfect. Im a bit of a fanatic for things being as efficient as possible, I try to make sure everything works well. you can play with whatever you want, its just that I would never use/advise using anything that is not beneficial or hinders your play. I dont take into account how things make you feel when you play, if you get a different, more preferable experience from it, even if it decreases your performance.  Im sure that you can play better with your more functional/ better proportioned markers, or even play better with more functional markers, but then again you might not enjoy it as much.

Eh Its just that I enjoy playing better, and like youve said you could play better with other gear, but you enjoy what you have right now. thats great, I sort of understand the want for milsim stuff, but if somone had asked you if that is the best setup for that type of play or if that was the best performing/accurate setup, would you say yes? this guy has asked whats the most accurate setup, I stand by my advice that a 14-16" barrel kit, using air and a good regulator will yeild the greatest accuracy that he can get out of his present marker.

Sangreti View Drop Down
1 strike, offensive post.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sangreti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2008 at 5:59pm
this is all but too long im not even going to try and read this
~square peg~

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic