FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jobs (New question look again)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jobs (New question look again)
    Posted: 25 November 2008 at 1:01pm
Has anyone ever heard of applying to a job, and if they don't call you back you call them?

Apparently not getting a call these days means I'm supposed to call them?

That doesn't even make any sense.

EDIT: For like grocery stores and department stores.

Edited by jmac3 - 25 November 2008 at 1:13pm
Que pasa?

Bounty View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bounty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2008 at 1:02pm
Thats how I got my job, bother them til they hire you.

and this was for Target.

Edited by Bounty - 25 November 2008 at 1:05pm
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2008 at 1:05pm
It isn't bad to follow up with it.  Just call them to see if they are still in review of the applicants or if the position is filled.  "We'll call you" with no time frame usually means you are not what they are looking for.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Monk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2008 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Bounty Bounty wrote:

Thats how I got my job, bother them til they hire you.

Same here. But lately I have been just waiting for calls, didnt really want a job .
/\ /\ \/ \/ < > < > B A START
Zata View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2008 at 1:07pm
Depending on the person thats hiring, they may like to...well basically play a game.  They don't call you to see how much you really care about the job.  Say its you and some other schmuck.  The manager doesn't call either of you, yet the position is still open.  That schmuch calls to follow up.  You don't call.  I'm willing to bet the schmuck gets hired.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2008 at 1:07pm
Actually, a buddy of mine had that happen to him. They said they'd let him know in about two weeks. He called at the end of the time and ended up getting the job.

Its never happened to me, and I've always assumed that no call was 'thanks but no thanks'

Apparently, some places gauge your willingness to call back as enthusiasm and genuine interest.

I think its mixed signals myself, and if I was an employer, I'd never expect a prospective employee to call ME after waiting to hear my decision. As an employer, it would seem that you should at least have the decency to call they candidates after you've made the selection.  

jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2008 at 1:12pm
It's a damn grocery store baker/bakery clerk. I had the same job at another supermarket from 2003-July of this year.

Definitely qualified for said job.

When I applied, the lady took my application to the manager in the back. She then came back and said she isn't doing interviews right now.

So with that information, should I call?

What do I say?
Que pasa?

Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2008 at 1:22pm
Like the women I date, they always call me back....

....usually to tell me I have given them an STD.

Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2008 at 1:25pm
"Hello, My name is ***** and I applied for the position of **** and I was curious if that position was filled."
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

PaiNTbALLfReNzY View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Arsenal FC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaiNTbALLfReNzY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2008 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by jmac3 jmac3 wrote:

It's a damn grocery store baker/bakery clerk. I had the same job at another supermarket from 2003-July of this year. Definitely qualified for said job.When I applied, the lady took my application to the manager in the back. She then came back and said she isn't doing interviews right now.So with that information, should I call? What do I say?

Tell her (the manager) the lady you spoke to didn't give you a timeline (seeing as how "not right now" is pretty vague) and you want to follow up.
Zata View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2008 at 1:27pm
I never did the follow up crap.  It seemed to me that for most low level jobs, that wasn't really necessary.

But depending on how bad you want the job, I'd go ahead and call in like 2 weeks or so and just see whats up.  Maybe they'll remember you when a spot is open or make a note about you.
gh0st View Drop Down
Final Warning

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gh0st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2008 at 1:39pm
"Hello my name is ____, I applied to ____ about ___ days ago. I was calling to see if there is anyway I could increase my chances for employment."

My friend did this for Kroger, and barely got a job. Funny you made this thread cause my friends have been saying that's what you should do.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2008 at 1:40pm

Its amazing what influences their decision sometimes. When my friend applied to a job in Albany from Long Island, he told them he would like to meet them in the morning so he could spend the afternoon looking for possible apartments.

They hired him partly because they knew he was so serious about moving to the job that he was already looking into possible living places.

And apparently, he was told later that he was taken over the other possible candidate BECAUSE he was from long island, what that matters, I have no idea, but that's what he was told.

The strangest things will get you a job, or lose one for you.

Has anyone ever intentionally flubbed a job interview?

I'll never forget interviewing for an RA job on campus that I didn't really want- I did everything in my power to blow it, and I did....I think when they asked what the funniest story I ever heard was (yeah, that was an interview question) I recalled a tale involving monkeys, grenades, steel ammunition containers, and bored vietnam veterans.

They never called back. A week later, I got a better job.

Edited by Reb Cpl - 25 November 2008 at 1:43pm

JohnnyHopper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I.O.U. a punch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2008 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

influencesa

Is that a literacy disease?

Edited by JohnnyHopper - 25 November 2008 at 1:43pm
My shoes of peace have steel toes.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2008 at 1:44pm

Originally posted by JohnnyHopper JohnnyHopper wrote:

influencesa

Its actually spanish for 'helps to decide'

JohnnyHopper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I.O.U. a punch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2008 at 1:47pm

Originally posted by JohnnyHopper JohnnyHopper wrote:

influencesa

Its actually spanish for 'helps to decide'

I thought that was 'cuchillo' ;)

Edited by JohnnyHopper - 25 November 2008 at 2:05pm
My shoes of peace have steel toes.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2008 at 2:02pm
It's a followup. I have an interview in an hour because I did a followup yesterday. They do work wonders, as it refreshes your name amongst the pile of resumes, and shows you want the job, instead of some schmuck handing resumes out everywhere.
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2008 at 3:39pm
My friend got his job when he called them after they hadn't called him. Its a good idea.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2008 at 3:50pm
As choop said, follow ups have become an integral part of the job-finding process. If you don't take the initiative to follow-up with a call or a letter, then chances are that you will get lost in the shuffle of applications.

Fail-proof way of following up is to put a letter in the mail the same day as your interview, that way it is there the next day or two while you are still fresh in their mind.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
merc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
American Scotchy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2008 at 6:04pm
when applying for a big company i call about 3 days after i apply. if its a small company/store i ask to speak with the manager when i hand in my application
saving the world, one warship at a time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic