FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

External hard drives

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
You Wont See Me View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Found in Big Al’s underwear drawer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Wont See Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: External hard drives
    Posted: 20 November 2008 at 10:02pm
I need to buy an external HD for one of my classes next semester. I've never had an external HD before so I come to you knowledgeable forum goers. What are some good Brands to buy?

From the Email about it "The basic requirements for the drives are that they must have a Firewire 400 connection (i1394), they must have at least 40 gb of storage, and they must have at least 5400rpm rotational speed."

I'm thinking since I'm buying one I might as well get at least 500GB of storage.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
A-5
E-Grip
JCS Dual Trigger
DOP X-CORE 8 stage x-chamber
Lapco Bigshot 14" Beadblasted

Optional setup:
R/T
Dead on Blade trigger
pntbl freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Wanna do something about it? Well do ya?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pntbl freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2008 at 10:04pm
I've always liked my Western Digital external drive.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Wont See Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2008 at 10:08pm
A-5
E-Grip
JCS Dual Trigger

Optional setup:
R/T
Dead on Blade trigger
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2008 at 10:09pm
I would just buy a internal SATA drive and throw it in an enclosure.
sinisterNorth View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
1 strike, language, 10/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinisterNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2008 at 10:43pm
I picked up a 500gb MyBook for $80 and it's served me well thus far.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Wont See Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2008 at 10:49pm
Thoughts on the one I linked?
A-5
E-Grip
JCS Dual Trigger

Optional setup:
R/T
Dead on Blade trigger
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2008 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by Snake6 Snake6 wrote:

bingo. On NCIX right now you can get a 500GB drive for about $70. Just buy a $15-$30 enclosure and you're all set.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Wont See Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2008 at 11:08pm
$70 for the Hard Drive + $30 dollars for the cheapest enclosure there + $25 shipping?... I might as well spend the $130 here.

Edited by You Wont See Me - 20 November 2008 at 11:19pm
A-5
E-Grip
JCS Dual Trigger

Optional setup:
R/T
Dead on Blade trigger
Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I donít have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2008 at 11:15pm
Get yourself set up for e-sata. That is the way to go.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2008 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by You Wont See Me You Wont See Me wrote:

$70 for the Hard Drive + $30 dollars for the cheapest enclosure there + $25 shipping?... I might as well spend the $130 here.

You certainly don't have to buy through them, I'm just using them as an example, as they're a great choice if you live here. Newegg should have good prices as well.
Predatorr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Predatorr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2008 at 12:22am
Maxtor is a horrible brand.  Western Digital is what I use, and I'm more than satisfied.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2008 at 12:23am
Go with a Seagate Barracuda or Western Digital if you can.
The Seagate is always on top 10 HD lists.
mod98commando View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mod98commando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2008 at 11:53am
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

bingo. On NCIX right now you can get a 500GB drive for about $70. Just buy a $15-$30 enclosure and you're all set.

I'll 3rd that. Even if it did end up costing the same (should end up cheaper), by getting the drive and enclosure separately you give yourself the option of easily replacing either piece should you want to upgrade or if you have a problem. Most of the drives sold as externals don't seem to let you easily swap the drive if you can at all. If the drive fails then that sucks because you not only have to buy a new drive but you have to pay for an enclosure as well. And in the event that there's an interface change, your external drive may still work fine but become useless because it lacks the proper connection options. That's not incredibly likely since USB isn't going anywhere but if you needed to use eSATA or Firewire or something and the drive lacked that connectivity then you'd be screwed. If you did the drive + enclosure method, you could just swap the $15-30 enclosure and keep your working drive. My point is, there are other reasons aside from price to go that route. Also, I find that Best Buy generally is not the best buy for computer components unless they have some kind of crazy sale. If you're in the US then I suggest checking these sites for computer related stuff:

I've dealt with all of them many times over the last 4 years or so and never once had a problem. Xoxide has a limited selection but I like them because they tend to have a lot of things that are hard to find and sometimes they have good deals. The other 3 have a good variety of stuff and no particular one always has the better prices. Newegg has the most stuff, hands down, but I can usually find what I'm looking for on ZipZoomFly for the same price or even a tad less. What sucks about Newegg is that they have a warehouse in NJ so I get charged sales tax and that usually makes an order from them more costly than from the other guys. I tend to get my stuff rediculously fast though so that's always good. In any case, look up whatever you're buying on all of the sites and compare. Newegg is almost always good for info since it's so popular and people leave reviews/comments.

EDIT: Also, I would go with Western Digital or Seagate for the drive itself. I've been using Western Digital for years and never had a problem. Seagate is loved by many but I've had a few bad experiences with Seagate drives so I'm hesitant to recommend them to people. I got a 120GB drive a few years back that was screwed up from the start. Reported some SMART errors, had a bunch of bad sectors, and nearly locked up my computer many times whenever I tried to access it. Needless to say, I wasn't too happy about that. It eventually stopped working and was replaced by a 160GB from Seagate. That one developed a similar problem right away and that was it for me. Haven't bought a drive from them since and have been using WD exclusively.

Edited by mod98commando - 22 November 2008 at 11:58am
oreomann33: Everybody invades Poland
Rofl_Mao: And everyone eats turkey
Me: But only if they're hungary
Mack: Yeah but hungary people go russian through their food and end up with greece on everyth
DzXs View Drop Down

2 strike, language, 1/17

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DzXs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2008 at 12:26pm

High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2008 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by Predatorr Predatorr wrote:

Maxtor is a horrible brand.  Western Digital is what I use, and I'm more than satisfied.

Bahahaha.
Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I donít have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2008 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by High Voltage High Voltage wrote:

Maxtor is a horrible brand.† Western Digital is what I use, and I'm more than satisfied.
Bahahaha.

QFT.
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2008 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Shub Shub wrote:

Bahahaha.

QFT.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2008 at 4:00pm

Originally posted by Shub Shub wrote:

Maxtor is a horrible brand. Western Digital is what I use, and I'm more than satisfied.
Bahahaha.

QFT.

I was going to say....
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2008 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by You Wont See Me You Wont See Me wrote:

Thoughts on the one I linked?

I have the 250gb version of that and like it.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Wont See Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2008 at 5:50pm
Thanks for the info guys
A-5
E-Grip
JCS Dual Trigger

Optional setup:
R/T
Dead on Blade trigger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic