FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I am laid-off

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
reifidom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Zatoichi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reifidom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I am laid-off
    Posted: 10 November 2008 at 12:35pm
Yes, I am laid-off. I've been here with the company for eight-and-a-half years, and now I am free.

I get a severance package though. I get eight-and-a-half months of benefits and pay.

I can now take classes in the morning, classes that I have to have and aren't offered after I get off of work.

I can take the holiday's off or get a part-time job right off and draw two paychecks.

I can go to work in a place that has windows.

I'm taking it a hell of a lot better than I thought I would. It's not my boss' fault and it's not even really the company's fault. We're a financial institution and we have been hit very hard.

It's time to move on. It was getting stagnant here, and I'm very optimistic for the future. The timing is good and I get to be in charge of this change in my life.

Tical3.0 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
this space for rent

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tical3.0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2008 at 12:40pm
We are in the same boat. High Five.
I ♣ hippies.
Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2008 at 12:41pm
Really sorry to hear that. Good to see you're making the most of it though. Hope something else turns up.
ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
future target of fratricide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2008 at 12:41pm
I want to get paid not to work for eight and half months...

...although I guess getting paid 50 grand a year isn't too bad for someone who only has a highschool diplome (ie: me; my parents are the ones paying).
BU Engineering 2012
JohnnyHopper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I.O.U. a punch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2008 at 12:49pm
So it's back to the ole hole with you then? ;)

Don't get rusty, keep looking for a job or find someone weaker and take theirs. Good hunting.
My shoes of peace have steel toes.
reifidom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Zatoichi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reifidom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2008 at 12:49pm
I think I'm going to go ahead and get something else to let us have an entirely extra income for the time being. That'll help pay off some bills that we'd really like to be rid of and give me something to do with my time besides school.

I'm just not sure what I'd like to do yet.

I think I'll go play some paintball again this weekend though. I'll have the time and it'll cost me five bucks with the membership and half-bag of paint I already have. Woo. Go pump-gun.

adrenalinejunky View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

strike 1 11/24/08 language

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrenalinejunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2008 at 2:15pm
nothing beats a good game of stock class :)

hope everything works out for you.
Predatorr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Predatorr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2008 at 2:18pm
I hope for the best.  I don't think I'd be taking it that well.
I guess that is the bright side, you can take on
another job and get ahead while times are slow.
What kind of job do you plan on taking on
if you don't mind me asking?
reifidom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Zatoichi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reifidom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2008 at 2:21pm
Nothing really significant for the time-being. I want to focus on my school and get some classes that I can only take in the morning out of the way and get a bit ahead financially if I can. Once I have those morning classes out of the way my job options will open up, next summer, and I can get something more solid.

Once I finish school I can start teaching English and literature at the college level and get into the career that I actually want rather than wasting away in this hole.

Predatorr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Predatorr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2008 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by reifidom reifidom wrote:

Nothing really significant for the time-being. I want to focus on my school and get some classes that I can only take in the morning out of the way and get a bit ahead financially if I can. Once I have those morning classes out of the way my job options will open up, next summer, and I can get something more solid.

Once I finish school I can start teaching English and literature at the college level and get into the career that I actually want rather than wasting away in this hole.

That's great, and as far as I'm concerned it's all about being happy in life.  So for once, I guess this came at an opportune time.  Good luck!
reifidom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Zatoichi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reifidom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2008 at 2:35pm
For a month now we've known this announcement was coming, and wondering who it would be. Our area is usually safe from these kinds of things because of our relatively low salaries compared to the company as a whole, but our time has come.

I've had time to prepare and my boss has been a freakin' wreck so we knew something was coming. I kind of cornered him today, and while he wasn't supposed to tell us he said he felt he owed us after all these years. He asked if I really wanted to know. Yes, I definitely want to know.

It's good to be certain rather than wait out the week wondering and have to pack and get out on the same day.

PaiNTbALLfReNzY View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Arsenal FC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaiNTbALLfReNzY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2008 at 2:39pm
So what did your boss say? I'm sure you'll be fine, eight months of severance plus benefits will be enough time.

Also, at least someone on this forum is getting laid.

Couldn't help myself.
reifidom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Zatoichi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reifidom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2008 at 2:42pm
My boss is having a terrible time of it. He's being demoted rather than let go, so no severance for him and he just sank 90k into a new house being built, so he can't tell them to go to hell, and he is losing management status.

He also has to worry about all of us, while I only have to worry about myself.

He didn't want to tell any of us, being so worried about it, but he let me know, quietly, that it would be myself, our phone operator, and two others.

The company is very quiet today.

Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2008 at 4:29pm
I love that thought process...

"Hey, lets save money by paying people not to be here... for almost a year!!"

But still sucks, and hope you do well.

Edited by Linus - 10 November 2008 at 4:29pm

procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2008 at 4:34pm
i'm not sure if the law firm is going to take me back for my month long winter break... apparently they aren't looking to hire anyone back except for a couple weeks... the week of chirstmas, and the week after. 

I hope they do take me back for the whole month, because i made quite a bit of money then. 

oh well.
GI JOES SON View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Got me flowers for my birthday

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GI JOES SON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2008 at 4:44pm
why did i think you worked in a post office?

that sucks. where do you hope to work after your classes are over?

did they give you a months worth of pay/benefits for every year you were there or was that just coincidence?

edit- if you dont mind me asking, which institution did you work at?

Edited by GI JOES SON - 10 November 2008 at 4:45pm
Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2008 at 5:22pm

I hate you.

Not really, obviously, but I do despise the courses you will eventually be teaching. Nothing like ruining a perfectly good short story or novel with over-analyzation. Just not my cup of tea.

Good luck though. Enjoy everything you can and don't dwell on anything you don't.

BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Prettiest Princess in all the lands

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2008 at 5:44pm

I'd take a class from you.
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2008 at 5:49pm
Didn't you recently save the company tons of man-hours/thus money recently because of your accidental discovery on the copy machine? It sucks that they didn't take that into account, but I guess you still have all your apples in a row, which is nice.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
SSOK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2008 at 9:13pm
At least you're leaving on good terms, but I am sorry to hear that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic