FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I am laid-off

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
*Stealth* View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Watermarked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stealth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2008 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by BARREL BREAK BARREL BREAK wrote:

Originally posted by reifidom reifidom wrote:

Once I finish school I can start teaching English and literature at the college level and get into the career that I actually want rather than wasting away in this hole.
I'd take a class from you.
WHO says eating pork is safe, but Mexicans have even cut back on their beloved greasy pork tacos. - MSNBC on the Swine Flu
Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I am even less fun in person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2008 at 9:59pm
Sucks.  Good on you to have a positive attitude about it.
reifidom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Zatoichi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reifidom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2008 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by Gatyr Gatyr wrote:

Once I finish school I can start teaching English and literature at the college level and get into the career that I actually want rather than wasting away in this hole.

I hate you.

Not really, obviously, but I do despise the courses you will eventually be teaching. Nothing like ruining a perfectly good short story or novel with over-analyzation. Just not my cup of tea.

Good luck though. Enjoy everything you can and don't dwell on anything you don't.

I'm not about over analyzing literature. I do believe you can gain a lot of insight about stories given proper context.

When we read Mont Blanc in my British Lit class last term we spent some time going over the topography of the area, viewing pictures of the mountain from where the poem was probably written and learning about the culture in which the poem was written. That lends a lot to what you get out of it.

Reading modern poetry or literature tells you a lot more than most people consider given all that they know about the culture, references, and terminology/connotations. Older literature is less accessible because those subtle things are missing. Learning about them makes older works just as relevant and enriching to a modern reader.

That's what I'd like to add to a class.

Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

Didn't you recently save the company tons of man-hours/thus money recently because of your accidental discovery on the copy machine?

Yes. Yes I did. It was a scanning process for third party investment transactions. They then promptly did away with the entire process to save money. Most of what I was doing with the company was shifted around to other groups or done away with. I can't blame them for it. It made sense, what they did. Still kind of sucks, but it's a good time for it.
I get to take off after work tomorrow and not look back.

Edited by reifidom - 10 November 2008 at 11:28pm

usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2008 at 12:19am

Didn't you recently save the company tons of man-hours/thus money recently because of your accidental discovery on the copy machine?

Yes. Yes I did. It was a scanning process for third party investment transactions. They then promptly did away with the entire process to save money. Most of what I was doing with the company was shifted around to other groups or done away with. I can't blame them for it. It made sense, what they did. Still kind of sucks, but it's a good time for it.

So, in effect, you made yourself obsolete?

You'd make an awful robot.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
JohnnyHopper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I.O.U. a punch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2008 at 10:11am

So, in effect, you made yourself obsolete?You'd make an awful robot.

LOL - There's a "reifdom's laws of failbotics" joke in their somewhere.
My shoes of peace have steel toes.
reifidom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Zatoichi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reifidom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2008 at 10:14am
Yes there is.

It states that: A job well-streamlined can only result in streamlining oneself out of the job entirely.

In effect, if it is made to seem simple, somebody else can simply do it for less compensation.

Edited by reifidom - 11 November 2008 at 10:16am

TRAVELER View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Vulcan Logic Academy Graduate

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRAVELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2008 at 4:45am
I have a degree in literature, and I enjoy teaching. My last job paid better, but I worked a 6 day schedule, and usually a fair amount of overtime each day.

Now I work about 28 hours a week, including lesson planning time. Living and working in Japan has been a blast so far. The Japanese teachers and staff are friendly and efficient, and the students are bright and attentive.

Being laid off is no fun. I remember the late '70s/early '80s when unemployment was so bad that companies were putting "not hiring/no jobs available" signs outside their doors and windows. 

Things will turn around in time, and hopefully a few lessons will be learned.
For I will wander to and fro,
I'll go where I no one do know,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic