Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

so i walk into a sporting goods store

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Beil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: so i walk into a sporting goods store
    Posted: 09 November 2008 at 6:02pm

and I was looking at getting a Remington 700, or Savage, and after some paperwork and a quick phone call I walk out with this:

12 Gauge Mossberg 500. At $200, I couldn't help myself. Hopefully I'm going to the range tomorrow, as I've never had/shot a shotgun yet. Should be fun.

I do it fast, slow, hard, and easy. I sometimes even do it in the woods. Yeah, I'm a runner.
proteus316 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proteus316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2008 at 6:27pm
How do you go to buy a rifle and come out with a shotgun? Did you just want to buy a gun?
IMPULS3. View Drop Down
Guested

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPULS3. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2008 at 6:32pm
giggity
ammolord View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammolord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2008 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by proteus316 proteus316 wrote:

How do you go to buy a rifle and come out with a shotgun? Did you just want to buy a gun?
PSN Tag: AmmoLord
XBL: xXAmmoLordXx

~Minister of Tinkering With Things That Go "BOOM!"(AKA Minister of Munitions)~
JohnnyHopper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I.O.U. a punch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2008 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by ammolord ammolord wrote:

Originally posted by proteus316 proteus316 wrote:

ADHD Shopping FTW
My shoes of peace have steel toes.
Ford View Drop Down
Guested on X-Mas day, It’s Coal for Him

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2008 at 8:25pm
I've got a Mossberg 500 with a scope barrel and she is sexy.
Project Irene View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
It really DOES exist!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Project Irene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2008 at 8:41pm
Nice.  Although you need to go back and get the 700 too. 
Beil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2008 at 11:03pm

Originally posted by Project Irene Project Irene wrote:

Nice.  Although you need to go back and get the 700 too. 

Yeah, although the guy in the Lodge has me leaning more towards the Savage line of rifles.

The main reason I didn't buy one is you have to order one, put down a 50% deposit, and wait a month for it to get there. The Mossberg, on the other hand, was waiting for me in the back room .

I was planning on getting a shotgun eventually; I probably shouldn't have mentioned it to the salesman because he immediately unlocked it and handed it to me. Dang those salesmen.....

I do it fast, slow, hard, and easy. I sometimes even do it in the woods. Yeah, I'm a runner.
Project Irene View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
It really DOES exist!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Project Irene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2008 at 11:34pm
Yep, that's their job.  Get you salivating over something that's an easy buy.   Everyone needs a shotty :)   Remington 700's reputation speaks for itself.  They're awesome firearms.  I've had the cheapo 710 for awhile now, couldn't be happier.
Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I donít have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2008 at 1:11am
Originally posted by Beil Beil wrote:

Yeah, although the guy in the Lodge has me leaning more towards the Savage line of rifles.

Savage used to make sort of cheap, junky guns. Real low end stuff. But lately, they've been doing doing some serious development in their bolt action rifles. I wouldn't be embarrassed to own a new Savage.
Snipa69 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soulectomy complete in 3...2...1...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snipa69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2008 at 1:40am
I have a 700 7mm and love it. you missed out. But you are set for when the zombies come.
QcXf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QcXf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2008 at 2:38am
I have four 700's in my house currently two 25-06's (mine and my dad's), a 243, and a 300 both are my dads. They are awesome rifles and have taken down a lot of deer, elk, and critters over the years.  
Brian Fellows View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
That’s MISTER Fellows to you...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Fellows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2008 at 3:07am
Guns commit crimes.  Shame on yourself.
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2008 at 10:15am
Mossberg 500 and 590.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

stick_boy_2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Not 1 language strike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stick_boy_2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2008 at 12:50pm
mossbergs are alright there not really my favorite. i was going to buy a remington 870 12ga. but stumbled on a browning gold hunter instead for an unbelievbal price.
Kayback View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2008 at 1:25pm
Mossberg 500's are good guns. I've never used a slug version, but for combat shooting they are nice and rugged. Personally my preference is also for an 870, but there is nothing wrong with the 500.

One of the major strong points for the 500 design is the double action bars. It is very easy to twist a fore end and bend the transfer bar, thereby jamming up what is one of the hardest weapons to jam. The double bars makes it harder to twist the fore end, keeping the weapon running.

Good buy, especially for $200. Now you have to feed it :)
Remember , pull it tight into the socket, solid cheekweld, rock and roll.

Shotguns do work very well for what's essentially point shooting. The 500 is very good at pointing naturally. Generally shotguns work out the box, but they unfortunately are pretty crude. It's a good idea to get some "match" parts for it. Get it worked over by Vang Comp. Vang barrels are like sniper rifle barrels. Honestly, they do some amazing things with them. You don't need the compensator ports, but definately get one of their barrels. (I don't know if they make barrels for the 500, they do for the 590).

I also don't like the front bead sight. Many people say that's all you need, and given the point shooting nature of shotguns, the fact they do scatter, and the close ranges, they are generally right, but there is nothing better than a set of ghost rings and blade sights. The problem with the bead is you have to use the cheek weld as your "rear sight", something doable, but not perfect.

Savage vs Remington. Oooooh. That's a tough one. They both make damn fine weapons. Remington obviously have their name and reputation to stand by.But Savage make equally capable weapons.

Pretty much even. I've looked at some nice Savage rifles, and I've wanted one for a long time, but I would not pass up the opportunity for a 700.

Which specific models are you looking at?

KBK
Captain Falcon View Drop Down
strike 2 11/24/08 quoting offensive post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2008 at 6:26pm

This is what real men shoot.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic