FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

is microsoft being left behind?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
ParielIsBack View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
future target of fratricide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2008 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by carl_the_sniper carl_the_sniper wrote:

In a related note, I was on the apple website today and did you know that for a mac pro, to upgrade from 2 gigs of ram to 4 gigs of ram, it costs $500?

Freggin $500? What the hell?

You can buy entire computers (with four gigs of ram) for that price.

Mine cost me me $100, although that was the last version.

This page says you're wrong though...only $150.

Other two (higher) versions come with 4 GB's stock.

*EDIT* Also, you're buying a crappy laptop if it's $500.  I can play Crysis on high on my laptop (and I cry knowing that Apple's newer laptops have GeForce 9600's, and I'm stuck with my 8600), and it's more portable than any of my school textbooks.  Not for everyone, maybe, but you get what you pay for ($2011, in my case, which I think was very well spent).

Edited by ParielIsBack - 09 November 2008 at 9:38pm
BU Engineering 2012
pntbl freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Wanna do something about it? Well do ya?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pntbl freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2008 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by ParielIsBack ParielIsBack wrote:

*EDIT* Also, you're buying a crappy laptop if it's $500.

Not really.  If you are buying a $500 laptop, you are buying it simply for daily use. You will use it for web/word processing and thats about it.
mod98commando View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mod98commando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2008 at 10:09pm
Well, it's nice to see that they may have learned their lesson from the last release. Vista was utter crap when it first came out and it's just barely able to match XP in reliability and speed now. They should have just given Vista the axe and spent the extra resources on Windows 7.

Either way, I plan on looking into linux more closely when I have the time to really learn all about it. Although Vista is tolerable on my laptop, I'd like to see how that thing runs with a lightweight OS on it instead. I truly hope they don't bloat the crap out of Windows 7 before release and god help them if the first release is as problematic as Vista was.
oreomann33 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Can you say ... ZAZZy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oreomann33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2008 at 10:12pm
This is what Microsoft is working on.

Apple will be out of business if they pull it off.
Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I donít have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2008 at 10:54pm
I'm basically just echoing what other people have said at this point, but I don't think Microsoft is going anywhere in the foreseeable future.

Apple has cut into Windows market share a tad, but many experts feel that Apple has achieved market saturation...where anyone who wants a Mac computer already owns one, and new sales basically only account for existing Mac customers buying new machines.

Linux has really come on strong, so much so that all the big companies are offering machines running user-friendly distros, particularly in their low powered netbooks. And of course, not having to put Microsoft's cut on the price of a new computer is attractive to companies already selling machines with razor thin margins. However, I still don't think that Linux will become really mainstream for average non-geek users. The netbook issue will be moot soon, Microsoft announced that Windows 7 will be sufficiently lightweight to operate on a low powered PC.

And really, all of this is just a bunch of nerds bickering for something to talk about on a Sunday night when there's nothing better to do. As we become more accustomed to the idea of cloud computing, which OS you are using becomes less important.
Glassjaw View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Took down Mike Tyson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2008 at 11:37pm

In a related note, I was on the
apple website today and did you know that for a mac pro,
to upgrade from 2 gigs of ram to 4 gigs of ram, it costs
$500?

You can buy entire computers (with four gigs of ram) for
that price.
Mine cost me me $100, although that
was the last
version./A?mco=MTkzOTI0Mg">This page says you're wrong
though...only $150.Other two (higher) versions come with
4 GB's stock.*EDIT* Also, you're buying a crappy laptop
if it's $500.† I can play Crysis on high on my laptop
(and I cry knowing that Apple's newer laptops have
GeForce 9600's, and I'm stuck with my 8600), and it's
more portable than any of my school textbooks.† Not for
everyone, maybe, but you get what you pay for ($2011, in
my case, which I think was very well spent).

You can purchase quality for not ridiculous prices.
Just have to know where to look.
The desire for polyester is just to powerful.
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2008 at 11:49pm

In a related note, I was on the apple website today and did you know that for a mac pro, to upgrade from 2 gigs of ram to 4 gigs of ram, it costs $500?

You can buy entire computers (with four gigs of ram) for that price.
Mine cost me me $100, although that was the last version.This page says you're wrong though...only $150.Other two (higher) versions come with 4 GB's stock.*EDIT* Also, you're buying a crappy laptop if it's $500.† I can play Crysis on high on my laptop (and I cry knowing that Apple's newer laptops have GeForce 9600's, and I'm stuck with my 8600), and it's more portable than any of my school textbooks.† Not for everyone, maybe, but you get what you pay for ($2011, in my case, which I think was very well spent).

This page says otherwise

I don't know what your second point had to do with anyting.
<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2008 at 11:53pm
Also,

Edited by carl_the_sniper - 09 November 2008 at 11:55pm
adrenalinejunky View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

strike 1 11/24/08 language

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrenalinejunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2008 at 9:27am
Originally posted by Darur Darur wrote:

There isn't enough development for the OS by, for want of a better word, professonal developers for most companies to want to deploy Linux for the bulk of their computer using staff.

thats actually one statement i entirely disagree with. Red Hat, Novel, etc. provide very professional buisness offerings that are very stable and they offer tech support assistance as well which is actually all they are charging you for for the os.   and they only charge you once - no matter how many copies you have running. compared to buying a windows lisense for every computer a company has, its honestly a better solution. doubly so now that microsoft office will be supporting the Open Document Format natively, because there are no concerns of document interoperability problems.
Mehs View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
An Hero

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mehs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2008 at 1:26pm
Every day I work more and more people ask me if they can get a Mac leased to them instead of a PC, only art kids get Macs lolz.  
[IMG]http://i27.tinypic.com/1538fbc.jpg">
Squeeze Box
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2008 at 1:34pm

This page says otherwise

I read MacBook Pro, I guess.  The Mac Pro is not a laptop, it's designed for very high end graphics applications.

I have never met anyone who's even considered buying one.  Mac makes money by selling laptops, not desktops. (Although this isn't apparently entirely true, according to the facts on this website.  Apparently it's more like 1.7 laptops to desktops, at least over the last year.)

My second point was that people who spend money on computers generally do not buy $500 computers.  Computers that inexpensive make up a relatively unimportant part of the market, and Apple has never tried to court them.

Originally posted by Glassjaw Glassjaw wrote:

You can purchase quality for not ridiculous prices.
Just have to know where to look.

I agree.

I don't think $2000 was ridiculous for what I got either, though.

If I had wanted to build a desktop with the same specs, and have a Windows-only machine, I would have cut the price by at least 50%.

But I didn't.  A lot of people seem to agree that the MacBook Pro is a good laptop, and I definitely do.

Originally posted by oreomann33 oreomann33 wrote:

This is what Microsoft is working on.

Apple will be out of business if they pull it off.

Wow, there were a lot of spelling errors in that document.

Also, "the cloud" has ceased to be a new concept.  Just because Microsoft can make its software cloud-friendly doesn't mean it's going to increase its market share much.  Partly because it's so big already.

Saying that this will put Apple out of business is like saying that the Cake Party winning means no one here eats pie anymore.  I clearly ate pie at least twice in the past 6 days, therefore, this cannot be true.

Edited by ParielIsBack - 10 November 2008 at 1:53pm
BU Engineering 2012
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2008 at 4:50pm

This page says otherwise

I read MacBook Pro, I guess.† The Mac Pro is not a laptop, it's designed for very high end graphics applications.I have never met anyone who's even considered buying one.† Mac makes money by selling laptops, not desktops. (Although this isn't apparently entirely true, according to the facts on this website.† Apparently it's more like 1.7 laptops to desktops, at least over the last year.)My second point was that people who spend money on computers generally do not buy $500 computers.† Computers that inexpensive make up a relatively unimportant part of the market, and Apple has never tried to court them.

Nevertheless, the ram is still $500 for a two gig upgrade regardless of what computer it is built on. ($200 is kinda rediculous also)

Your second point continues to be comnpletely irrelevant.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParielIsBack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2008 at 8:04am

Nevertheless, the ram is still $500 for a two gig upgrade regardless of what computer it is built on. ($200 is kinda rediculous also)

Well, you can continue to think that.  That's why you're not going into business though.

Not every item on the market is made for you.  There are people who will, and do, pay $500, or $1500 for the RAM upgrades in Mac Pros, and they are generally people who make a good amount of money doing some sort of graphic design, video editing, etc.

As I said above, it's not a computer designed for mass market.  Apple doesn't need a second mass market desktop; this one is aimed at businesses that do high end graphics work.  It's a totally different dynamic than consumers.
BU Engineering 2012
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2008 at 8:13am

I work with both mac and pc's. I prefer macs, but I usually can't justify the additional cost...

So, at home I have three xp's and one vista. I hate the vista... It is a pain all the time. Click control panel. Are you sure you want to open the control panel... Yes, click that.

Click monitor preferences, up pops a window. Are you sure you want to open monitor preferences...

so annoying.

Macs are just better.

And that is why I have a ton of apple stock. I remember buying it at $13.00 a share...

And today, it has split a few times, and they have the best mobile phone/gaming device/ipod/macbook pro/plus super strong interconnected software.

and CS4

They tremble at my name...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2008 at 10:00am

Well, you can continue to think that.† That's why you're not going into business though.Not every item on the market is made for you.† There are people who will, and do, pay $500, or $1500 for the RAM upgrades in Mac Pros, and they are generally people who make a good amount of money doing some sort of graphic design, video editing, etc.As I said above, it's not a computer designed for mass market.† Apple doesn't need a second mass market desktop; this one is aimed at businesses that do high end graphics work.† It's a totally different dynamic than consumers.

My entire point was that the ram prices are rediculous, not that the fanboys would pay it (which is definately true)

Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2008 at 10:05am
There's nothing you can do on a Mac that you can't do just as easily on a Windows machine. If you think the extra price is justified, then get a Mac. If not, Windows works just fine.
mod98commando View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mod98commando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2008 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by Benjichang Benjichang wrote:

There's nothing you can do on a Mac that you can't do just as easily on a Windows machine. If you think the extra price is justified, then get a Mac. If not, Windows works just fine.

That's pretty much the bottom line right there. I get a giggle out of fanboys who pay nearly twice as much for everything because it's associated with Apple.
oreomann33: Everybody invades Poland
Rofl_Mao: And everyone eats turkey
Me: But only if they're hungary
Mack: Yeah but hungary people go russian through their food and end up with greece on everyth
Mehs View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
An Hero

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mehs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2008 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

I work with both mac and pc's. I prefer macs, but I usually can't justify the additional cost...

So, at home I have three xp's and one vista. I hate the vista... It is a pain all the time. Click control panel. Are you sure you want to open the control panel... Yes, click that.

Click monitor preferences, up pops a window. Are you sure you want to open monitor preferences...

so annoying.

Macs are just better.

And that is why I have a ton of apple stock. I remember buying it at $13.00 a share...

And today, it has split a few times, and they have the best mobile phone/gaming device/ipod/macbook pro/plus super strong interconnected software.

and CS4

Disable teh UAC in Vista...problem solved!
[IMG]http://i27.tinypic.com/1538fbc.jpg">
Squeeze Box
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic