FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

is microsoft being left behind?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
adrenalinejunky View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

strike 1 11/24/08 language

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrenalinejunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: is microsoft being left behind?
    Posted: 09 November 2008 at 2:00pm
ok, so i'm a linux user, but this isnt my personal trolling attempt to promote linux over windows, its an honest question - what do you think?

Apple has been cutting into a lot of the higher end computing marketshare, while linux has been cutting into alot of the low end, and into phones recently as well.

do you guys thing we will see a major turn in the future concerning the industry standard for operating systems?
You Wont See Me View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Found in Big Al’s underwear drawer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Wont See Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2008 at 2:09pm
I still see Microsoft being the staple of most computer users for the foreseeable future. The average person that uses a computer will just use what they're familiar with, and for right now that's still Windows for the majority of people.

However, with more Macs being used in schools nowadays kids may be more familiar with Mac.
A-5
E-Grip
JCS Dual Trigger
DOP X-CORE 8 stage x-chamber
Lapco Bigshot 14" Beadblasted

Optional setup:
R/T
Dead on Blade trigger
mbro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2008 at 2:11pm
Eh, Microsoft will remain dominate for at least 5 more years. There are way to many different flavors of linux for them to become totally mainstream.

(typing this from a linux powered netbook)

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrenalinejunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2008 at 2:22pm
heh ^^

i'm typing this from an xp powered laptop (not mine, my hard drive went out.... maybe you were all right about WD...)

linux is making its way into schools as well, for example, in indiana they currently have a pilot program going, which if successfull would result in almost 300,000 school pc's running linux. other countries are considering or already switching to linux for thier schools as well.

personally i dont think the change will happen overnight, but in a couple years, i wouldnt be suprised to see microsoft no longer having a majority marketshare.
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2008 at 2:23pm
Macs are just a fashion accessory fad to most people imo.

<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrenalinejunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2008 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by carl_the_sniper carl_the_sniper wrote:

Macs are just a fashion accessory fad to most people imo.

while in some cases i agree with you, macs are pretty much the multimedia standard....

and i can certianly understand reasons why someone would want to buy a mac for actual use.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2008 at 2:32pm
Of course.
Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2008 at 2:55pm
With the economy being what it is, and more and more inexpensive laptops like eeepc's running Linux, it seems that Linux has a good opportunity to increase it market share. Inevitably, we're going to see more and more people using Linux as cloud computing continues to increase in popularity. Linux has improved drastically over the last few recent years. Look how big Ubuntu has gotten.

I think we're going to see increased use of Linux on the desktop among average people. The name is getting out there.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2008 at 3:08pm
Somewhat related note-

If they ever come out with a Linux Ventrilo client like they keep saying, I probably wouldn't even use Windows. WoW runs amazing in Wine. I know there is a Teamspeak client for Linux, but everyone uses Vent.

Also, I wish they would standardize sound for Linux. ALSA, OSS? Blah.
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2008 at 3:09pm
As long as 99% of the software I use works on PC without any hassle, I'm using it.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrenalinejunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2008 at 3:15pm
My guess is that ALSA will end up being the standard, it seems much more widespread then OSS in my experience.

what i think would be the biggest advantage is a package management standardization - sure, you can install alot of non-native packages with the alien command - but it should be seemless. then all the different distro's dont have to replicate as much of each others work.
mbro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2008 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by adrenalinejunky adrenalinejunky wrote:

then all the different distro's dont have to replicate as much of each others work.
It is quite redundant. They should just make deb repositories standard. Screw rpm. Nobody even uses tar.gz as "packages" anymore. Let's just go with debs and get it over with.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2008 at 5:22pm
Agreed with the .deb idea. I'd guess most people are using Debian-based distros now anyway.
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2008 at 5:24pm
What the hell are you people talking about?
Que pasa?

Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2008 at 5:43pm
I'm sorry, but Microsoft is going no where, Apple is not about to outsell Windows, and Linux is not about to take over the desktop market.

The vast majority of users use Windows. I think a statistic from a year or two ago was something like 8 million systems use a variant of Apple's OS and 300 million use Windows XP alone. Windows will remain the desktop standard just because its affordable and its what most people are used to. Apple lately has been working on gathering new customers, but their sales style is more focused on a dedicated core group of consumers who will stick to their upgrade plan rather then users coming from time to time, buying a PC when they need one and whatever flavor of Windows is cheap.  Unless Apple changes their style they will not take over the market, and they have no reason to.  Apple does fine with its marketing style already, attracting huge groups of consumers with breif fads, then sitting back for a bit and doing it all again.

Linux is becoming more oriented towards desktop use but its still very much a server OS. I doubt a lot we'll start seeing Linux overtaking Windows. There isn't enough development for the OS by, for want of a better word, professonal developers for most companies to want to deploy Linux for the bulk of their computer using staff. Not to mention the vast costs of retraining their employees.  Windows is cheap enough and works well enough.  Small companies may make the switch, but larger firms would most likely keep using what they use.

Windows fumbled with Vista, but its to firm in the market to let that damage its standings significantly.  Its here to stay.
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
gh0st View Drop Down
Final Warning

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gh0st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2008 at 6:21pm
Gator Taco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gator Taco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2008 at 6:53pm
My computer runs off of Windows XP. I like XP. Though for my next computer I'm leaning towards getting an Apple, just because my experience with other Apple products (iPod) have been great.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2008 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by jmac3 jmac3 wrote:

What the hell are you people talking about?
Linux. It's a cult.
Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I am even less fun in person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2008 at 7:56pm

Yeah...  Microsoft absolutely dominates the general business platform in this and most other countries.  A few industries use Apple products, but it's gonna be Microsoft for the foreseeable future.

Apple has done a reasonable job attacking the personal user, but they haven't even made a dimple of a dent in the business market.

And Linux?  Yeah, I don't think so.  Ain't gonna happen.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2008 at 9:30pm
In a related note, I was on the apple website today and did you know that for a mac pro, to upgrade from 2 gigs of ram to 4 gigs of ram, it costs $500?

Freggin $500? What the hell?

You can buy entire computers (with four gigs of ram) for that price.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic