Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Speed Traps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AoSpades View Drop Down
Eight Lives Left

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AoSpades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speed Traps
    Posted: 04 November 2008 at 8:42am

I hate them so much...

I really don't want to pay $190 for a ticket that was undeserved. However, this was such an obvious trap that I think I can fight it off in court.

Basically...I was going "59 in a 45" when

1.) my Speedometer was reading 55 (older car so it is always either 5 miles fast or 5 miles slow)

2.) This was a 6 lane road (3 North and 3 South with a median dividing the center) in which no speed limit signs were posted until you come up the hill where the officer was sitting...The speed limit sign was right in front of him.

3.) Strangly enough another 6 lane road exactly the same as said road in #2 is posted as 55(this road was perpendicular to the road i got the ticket on). Not only is it posted, but it is posted EVERYWHERE.

So taking #'s 1, 2, and 3 into account...I was thinking I was going 55 in a 55 zone, when i was actually going 59 in a 45 zone. That being said, I really don't think it will be hard to get this ticket put down in court. My record is clean as well, so sometime this week I'm going to go back, take pictures of everything and compile a good statement.

SO...your thoughts?

Edited by AoSpades - 04 November 2008 at 8:44am
Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 8:43am
QQ
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 8:44am
Boo...

wait for it.....

AoSpades View Drop Down
Eight Lives Left

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AoSpades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 8:50am
jerks...i wasn't even whining about it
Eville View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 5/19, Filter-dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 8:54am
good luck
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 9:06am

Did the cop use radar?

My cousin is a cop, he said they have to be certified for the radar they are using. Evidently, they sometimes skimp and only get certified for one of the three different kinds. This certification has to happen every year or so. (I forget all the details). Also, you can ask when the radar was last tested. I think it has to be tested each month, but most police departments are pretty good at keeping this paperwork up to date...

Best bet is to do what you said. More facts/proof the better. Check your tires and see if they are a different size, which could affect your speedometer. Ask for a court date, then try and get it rescheduled. If the cop doesn't show up, they throw it out.

They tremble at my name...
AoSpades View Drop Down
Eight Lives Left

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AoSpades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 9:11am

Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

Ask for a court date, then try and get it rescheduled. If the cop doesn't show up, they throw it out.

That's next to impossible. The city I got stopped in has only had 1 bank robbery and 2 gas station robberies in 30 years. Me speeding was probably headline news for that town.

Basically what I'm saying is that the police officers are never tied down somewhere else, nor do they have much paperwork to fill out. Showing up to a court date that got pushed back is a simple task for them.

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 9:17am
....hoo.

Ford View Drop Down
Guested on X-Mas day, It’s Coal for Him

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 9:25am
Don't waste your time. Pay the ticket and move on.
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 9:28am

The ticket is cheap compared to what your insurance will do... I'd fight it.

Ask for Mercy of the court... (they will probably just lower it and make you pay court costs. The points on your license will not be good).

They tremble at my name...
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 9:30am
around here, unmarked highways are 55... don't know if its the same around you.

just say that you thought since there were no signs for a while that it was 55, and that the sign by the cop was too late to do anything about it.

then cry moar.
sinisterNorth View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
1 strike, language, 10/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinisterNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 9:46am
CRY MOAR N MOAR!!
Ford View Drop Down
Guested on X-Mas day, It’s Coal for Him

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 9:50am
Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Actuarry itís Skirret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 10:05am
You were speeding.  Pay your ticket.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 10:17am
On a serious note, fighting it doesn't seem like it'll turn up much in the way of success.

'ignorance is no excuse' is what they'll stand behind, and if you say "but this was an obvious trap" you'll get nothing more than an 'LOL' from the judge.

usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 10:21am
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

On a serious note, fighting it doesn't seem like it'll turn up much in the way of success.

'ignorance is no excuse' is what they'll stand behind, and if you say "but this was an obvious trap" you'll get nothing more than an 'LOL' from the judge.

This is along the same lines of what I came in here to say. More than likely, at every entrance into the county or city limits you were in, the signs probably say something to the effect of "Speed limit is 35mph unless otherwise posted." So regardless of whether or not there were signs with the speedlimit, saying that a road perpendicular to yours is NOT going to help.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
notXXscared View Drop Down

Strike 1, 8-21 Language

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notXXscared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 10:48am
Originally posted by Skillet42565 Skillet42565 wrote:

Previously DYE PLAYA
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Currently awaiting brand new strikes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 11:03am
dilligaf?
The Reaper "And yet... His facebook says he "likes" Coons..."
AoSpades View Drop Down
Eight Lives Left

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AoSpades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 11:06am

Originally posted by notXXscared notXXscared wrote:

Clearly you both didn't read the entirety of my original post. I'm fighting it because it was/is unjust. It is an easy way to make quick money for an already overpayed police force and I am not standing for it, or paying for that matter.

If i were actually in the wrong, I would pay it like I have other tickets. But, when the justice system you and I both depend on pulls a fast one to try and get money out of unknowing commuter citizens, I draw the line there.

It was a clear and obvious speed trap and I will bring it to court as so. I will show my evidence of the such and be on my merry way.

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 11:09am
Originally posted by AoSpades AoSpades wrote:

Originally posted by notXXscared notXXscared wrote:

Clearly you both didn't read the entirety of my original post. I'm fighting it because it was/is unjust. It is an easy way to make quick money for an already overpayed police force and I am not standing for it, or paying for that matter.

If i were actually in the wrong, I would pay it like I have other tickets. But, when the justice system you and I both depend on pulls a fast one to try and get money out of unknowing commuter citizens, I draw the line there.

It was a clear and obvious speed trap and I will bring it to court as so. I will show my evidence of the such and be on my merry way.

So the police using a clever little trick to catch the guy whose breaking the law is 'unjust?' Gotcha

oh, and

lol @ 'police being overpaid'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic