Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tool Box Help ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Ford View Drop Down
Guested on X-Mas day, It’s Coal for Him

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tool Box Help ?
    Posted: 03 November 2008 at 11:50pm
Alright, I got a job as a mechanic at a Dodge dealership now. And instead of taking stuff from home I'll be getting a new toolbox and tool to keep in the shop. I'm going to sears tomorrow for wrenches ect so I'll look at the boxes, but frankly, I'm not a fan of Crapmans tool boxes.

I personally have a thing for the tool box base type boxes like this one,

Anyone got advice on decent quality boxes that don't cost an arm and a leg ?
Gator Taco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gator Taco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2008 at 11:51pm
UWS

Edit:

Nevermind, thought this would be about truck tool boxes.

Edited by Gator Taco - 03 November 2008 at 11:52pm
Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2008 at 11:54pm
I like how it has wheels so when you go home after your shift is complete, someone can easily push it up a ramp into the back of the truck and drive away.

Ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2008 at 11:56pm
I like the wheels because you can roll the cart over to you if you're under a car. Plus they aren't stacked high in the air.
notXXscared View Drop Down

Strike 1, 8-21 Language

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notXXscared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 12:00am
Snap On.

Previously DYE PLAYA
Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I donít have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 12:03am
Originally posted by notXXscared notXXscared wrote:

Snap On.

He said not crazy expensive.
barn_user View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 1 - Filterdodge, 3/20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barn_user Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 12:24am
Originally posted by Shub Shub wrote:

Originally posted by notXXscared notXXscared wrote:

Snap On.

He said not crazy expensive.

With tool boxes you get what you pay for though. Keep that in mind.
.636 View Drop Down
Strike 1, 9/13 inappropiate post content

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .636 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 12:54am
Originally posted by Hades Hades wrote:

I like how it has wheels so when you go home after your shift is complete, someone can easily push it up a ramp into the back of the truck and drive away.

You dont want to be puting 1000+ pounds of tools in your truck every day.

Look at costco, in Canada we have a rockin stainless toolbox that's a big cabinet like that plus a big chest. only 800 bucks too
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 1:18am
anyone else think that this was another thread about FE after reading the title?
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 6:16am
get a radio for your toolbox, you'll be glad you did.

And a lock.
Ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 9:19am
Originally posted by The Guy The Guy wrote:

get a radio for your toolbox, you'll be glad you did.

And a lock.

I have been shown the area I'll be working in, the other two guys over there have already got a stereo set up on the bench so thats taken care of.

And it must lock since I'm leaving it there. If I can't find a box I have a craftsmen base box but it doesn't lock so I'd have to weld a hinge and two steel bars that would go across the drawers then pad lock it shut. But I'd rather not have to do that.
AoSpades View Drop Down
Eight Lives Left

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AoSpades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 9:22am
Don't forget to grab a Free Enterprise and DyePlaya tool set while your at the hardware store
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 9:26am
Originally posted by AoSpades AoSpades wrote:

Don't forget to grab a Free Enterprise and DyePlaya tool set while your at the hardware store

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 9:29am
Whats all this fe crap  I've been reading ?
Ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 11:49am
Good news, talked to my aunt, her boyfriend is selling his tool boxes and tools right now, and she knows a guy from the flea markets who sells proto tool boxes and what not for cheap, like $100 for an entire set. Not sure how he gets them but I don't really care. Plus my cousin works as a boat mechanic and gets 50% off all snap on tools and what not and 60% off all blue point stuff.

Was looking at proto stuff, I really like boxes like this, so maybe if the guy has something like this for a good price I'll get it, maybe some tools if they're cheap. My aunt also said he sells wrench sets for $100 ect as well so we'll see.

Also, I didn't know proto (stanley) made blackhawk stuff.

Edited by Ford - 04 November 2008 at 11:55am
Tical3.0 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
this space for rent

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tical3.0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 11:57am

Dye Playa is still better than you.
I ♣ hippies.
Ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by Tical3.0 Tical3.0 wrote:

If I had nothing better to do I'd post that pic of him (ace ) from the post yourself thread.

And it's true, planted wad of cash or not, dye is better than you ace. In many ways.

And holy crap, that box I posted, I found the same one in black,

I'm looking at the specs, it's 3.5' tall, 4' wide. But, it weights 472lbs ?????!?!?!?!? How the hell does that thing weight close to 500lbs ???
Tical3.0 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
this space for rent

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tical3.0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by Ford Ford wrote:

Originally posted by Tical3.0 Tical3.0 wrote:

If I had nothing better to do I'd post that pic of him (ace ) from the post yourself thread.

And it's true, planted wad of cash or not, dye is better than you ace. In many ways.

And holy crap, that box I posted, I found the same one in black,

I'm looking at the specs, it's 3.5' tall, 4' wide. But, it weights 472lbs ?????!?!?!?!? How the hell does that thing weight close to 500lbs ???
My guess is that it has ben reinforced to heck. That one looks sweet though. Not used to them in black.
I ♣ hippies.
Ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 12:21pm
Yea, they look sexy is some color other than fire engine red, everything is freakin red I don't know why. Even with reinforcements, 500lbs is crazy for something that size in my mind, but built tough is good. You don't even know how much I hate crapsman i mean craftsman. Their new boxes are built pretty crappy from what I've seen, although I've mostly seen the smaller boxes. At home we have an older craftsmen box and it's damn nice, bottom and top chest, and it's built well. Seems everything is made like crap these days 

Edited by Ford - 04 November 2008 at 12:22pm
BearClaw View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BearClaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 4:20pm
About 7 years ago no i bought a Upright Canadian Tire pro series Box (similar to craftsman stuff but slightly better) to start me out in the trade (Heavy Diesel Truck mechanic).

6 years after that and COMPLETLEY filling the box with all the tools needed for my chosen career and the bottom of the box collapsed under the weight. 

So i emptied that box out and bought a Snap-On Roll cab and put the top  half of my Canadian tire box on the Snap-On.   This set up works WONDERS for me.  The Canadian tire top box ran me about $300CDN and the Snap-On bottom box ran about $1800CDN

So basically id suggest mixing.  You can cheap out on a top box but honestly spend the extra on the bottom box cause other wise your just going to end up paying twice like i did. 

As for my old bottom box i fixed the broken welds and now use it at home were it works great.

Here is a Pic of my current setup.

AGD RT ULE AUTOMAG
TIPPMANN SL68II
DANGEROUS POWER E1
TIPPMANN A5
SHERIDAN PGP2
AGD 68 AUTOMAG
TIPPMANN PRO-CARBINE
EMPIRE TRRACER
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic