FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Party purging.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Party purging.
    Posted: 03 November 2008 at 10:55pm
A thought that has been mulling around my head for a while now as the election draws to a close. I consider myself a moderate centrist, although usually I get accused of being "left" because this forum often tends to swing right (not that there is anything wrong with that), however, I am a junkie when it comes to political history, especially elections history, and I like to look to history for explanations about what might happen.

One of Bruce's posts, combined with FreeEnterprise's general lack of intelligence, has brought me to a crucial question:

Does history repeat itself, and are political parties looped into historic cycles?

This is what I am getting at. Compare where the GOP is right now in the minds of most Americans. There has been a backlash from the public as people get a view into the modern Republican party and its connections to fundamentalism, far-right neoconservative and a lack of civil rights.

Already I have seen and heard a twinge of nervous aggression from legitimate fiscal-conservatives and moderate Republicans I have talked to. They want their party back.

It is very, very similar to where the Democratic party was in the 1950s and 60s

The party realized that they couldn't win an election while being dragged down by their party of the past: segregationists, strict states-rights supporters and, yes, religious fundamentalists. The party made the decision to shuffle out the old base and the people who supported it.

It initially caused friction, and many formed the later unsuccessful Dixiecrat party. In the end though, it was this separation and reformation of the party to more center-left, moderate Democratic party that got Kennedy/Johnson and Johnson/Humphrey elected after a long period of not winning elections.

So the question remains: What is the future of the Republican party? Will there be the same sort of distancing and reformation from the extremes?

Can they "survive" while still retaining the Bush Doctrine, fundamentalist attitude that people like FreeEnterprise cling to.

I am interested to hear what Republicans have to say on the issue.

Edited by agentwhale007 - 03 November 2008 at 10:59pm
Tical3.0 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
this space for rent

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tical3.0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2008 at 11:03pm

... when will this stop.

I ♣ hippies.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2008 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by Tical3.0 Tical3.0 wrote:

... when will this stop.

?
Tical3.0 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
this space for rent

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tical3.0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2008 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

... when will this stop.

?

The endless threads geared around politics.

Edited by Tical3.0 - 03 November 2008 at 11:05pm
I ♣ hippies.
Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Actuarry itís Skirret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2008 at 11:06pm

... when will this stop.

?

Its a very political time...
Tical3.0 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
this space for rent

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tical3.0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2008 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by Skillet42565 Skillet42565 wrote:

... when will this stop.

?

Its a very political time...

This is very true.

Im more or less just bored and am hoping for some sweet thread to pop up.
I ♣ hippies.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2008 at 11:12pm
Personal opinion and possibly wishful thinking on my part:

I don't think so; I believe they are becoming increasingly irrelevant.  I had hope when McCain was selected, but the pandering he has had to do to the far right quickly crushed that.

I just don't feel like either party (on the national level) is in touch with what I as a voter want.  My experiences with government-controlled health care (in the military) have made me highly distrusting of socialized medicine and I am "selfish" (to quote someone else's post) in that I worked for my income and I don't feel like sharing with those who don't work.  All of this would make me favor a Republican candidate except I am not all that happy with the far-rights positions on foreign relations and their respect for constitutional rights and legal protections.

Here's a question for you Whale since, as a journalist, you probably got the opportunity to observe a bunch of different opinions on this election.  (Other's can chime in with their opinions as well):

What do you think are the big issues that most people have with the candidates?

For example, I don't think experience is an issue as far as foreign policy because Obama's lack of it probably will hurt the nation much less than McCain's knowledge/continuance of current policies.  On the other hand, I don't trust Obama with the economy.  The anti-business rhetoric from his camp (based on all of the ads about foreigners taking our jobs) makes me think he will inadvertently trash the economy.  Sincde we are already in economic trouble, I don't consider this the best time to impact the competitiveness of businesses by raising corporate taxes and and forcing businesses to use more expensive U.S. labor.

Yes, I get chided by my friends for having odd views.  Everyone seems to think I have my fears backwards.  (I.e. I shoud be worrying about Obama's international policy and McCains domestic policies.)

Edit:  Tical, if you don't like the political threads, just avoid them.  It's not like the titles of most (including this one) don't tell what they're about.

Second Edit:  What the heck.  Every time I try to type the letters  "d i s t r u s t f u l" as a word I get edited and end up with the following: 

distru**edited**l

Very bizzare; I bolded the word in my original post where I had to replace/change.

Edited by Mack - 04 November 2008 at 5:01pm
Monk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2008 at 11:13pm
The republican party has, since its early beginings (think around lincoln times), been a party that changes its views on certain things. I think as society changes, the republican party usually morphs to try and fit that.

I give the liberal party credit for (for the most part) sticking with its original core values.

As a whole, however, I feel that since the begining of both parties, they have almost switched views with eachother.

I think its only a matter of time until they switch back, or the 2 party system begins to breakdown.
/\ /\ \/ \/ < > < > B A START
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2008 at 11:20pm
Does history repeat itself?

Yes... look at Obama.

Remind you of a former president? He should... he's just like Kennedy. Used not substance, but charisma to get where he's at.

Tical3.0 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
this space for rent

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tical3.0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2008 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by Linus Linus wrote:

Yes... look at Obama.

Remind you of a former president? He should... he's just like Kennedy. Used not substance, but charisma to get where he's at.

And we all know what happened to Kennedy
I ♣ hippies.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2008 at 11:32pm

Yes... look at Obama.

Statements about both Kennedy and Obama's substance (which they both actually did/do have) aside, I'm not entirely sure that works as a comparison.

Kennedy was elected pretty much completely on his charisma over the staunch Richard Nixon, and he won in a VERY tight election. Not to count chickens before hatching, but it doesn't look like this will be a close match. There was not the same backlash against Eisenhower. People generally liked Ike, which is a stark, stark difference from where we are now.

If anything, this election is really more like Jimmy Carter in 1976.

Edited by agentwhale007 - 03 November 2008 at 11:37pm
Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2008 at 11:34pm

Yes... look at Obama.

Remind you of a former president? He should... he's
just like Kennedy. Used not substance, but charisma to
get where he's at.
Yeah because Obama hasn't
been involved in politics before this election or
anything...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 3:45pm
I am Jeff, and I approve this thread bump.
Bruce Banner View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Banner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 3:47pm
I, for one, would welcome a split of the Republican Party.
Waste and excess are not conservative family values
Nature is not a liberal plot
A Good Energy Plan
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 3:53pm

Change is coming...

Next fall on Dancing with the Stars.

They tremble at my name...
Tical3.0 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
this space for rent

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tical3.0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

Change is coming...

Hopefully it involves you leaving

Seriously though. What are you going to talk about after tonight.
I ♣ hippies.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 4:02pm
That is a great 'shop.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 4:05pm

My prepress department is slow...

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 4:05pm

Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

Change is coming...

Hopefully it involves you leaving

Seriously though. What are you going to talk about after tonight.

I'm sure something will evolve.

usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 4:08pm
I was interested to contribute to this thread, but it amuses me how everyone thinks that everyone from the opposite party is small minded; and yet, they can't pose a question without lacing it with political bias.    
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic