Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GRRR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Zata View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GRRR
    Posted: 28 October 2008 at 12:03am
So just before I put my Firebird away, I wanted to get some leaks checked out.  The oil change guys said the engine had a leak, and the rear diff was leaking.

I take it to a local shop.  The estimate?  $1500...because they have to pull out the engine and bla bla bla (bla bla bla=stuff about cars that I don't understand)

Yeah, I was thinking $200, maybe $300 at the most.

Luckily my girlfriend's dad is into racing and he knows all about cars.  So I'll be taking it to him to see what he can do.  He says he can probably do it for half the price.

Edited by Zata - 28 October 2008 at 12:04am
Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Actuarry itís Skirret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2008 at 12:22am
Mechanics are nothing but legal thieves.
Kingtiger View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Now with 100% more Fail

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingtiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2008 at 12:30am
Originally posted by Skillet42565 Skillet42565 wrote:

QFT.
Steam: Kingtiger125
ThatGuitarGuy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Square Slot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGuitarGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2008 at 12:34am
Where exactly is the engine leaking?  Do you happen to know?

That'll tell us whether or not the engine actually has to be pulled.  My guess is oil pan or heads.  Depending on what exactly the leak is.
Skillet:     I've never been terribly fond of the look of a vagina
Zata View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2008 at 12:35am
Originally posted by Kingtiger Kingtiger wrote:

QFT.

Well these guys are pretty nice.  I've had them inspect this car, and my Bronco before I bought them, and they never charged me.  And they aren't even charging me for looking at my car now, although I don't know if they usually do at other shops.
Zata View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2008 at 12:37am
Originally posted by ThatGuitarGuy ThatGuitarGuy wrote:

Where exactly is the engine leaking?  Do you happen to know?

That'll tell us whether or not the engine actually has to be pulled.  My guess is oil pan or heads.  Depending on what exactly the leak is.

He listed a bunch of different spots.  I remember hearing gasket and heads I think.  He said the engine is really crammed in there which is why they have to pull it out.
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2008 at 12:59am
I bet it's the rear engine seal.  The older engines were nice, you could pop the oil pan off and put them in that way, the newer engines require dropping the tranny or lifting the engine to do it as it's one piece.  I'd check the year of your car's engine with a Chilton manual to see what the flat rate is, just in case they are ripping you off.
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2008 at 1:24am
yeah, i'm lucky like that with a FWD, oil pan pops right off. Replaced that seal already this year.
Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I donít have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2008 at 2:28am

Don't be a tool. If his oil leak is at a place that a mechanic cannot reach, it will take them several hours to partially or fully remove the engine, and reinstall it. There could be a substantial amount of work involved in replacing the seal, depending on what that is.

I guess they should do everything for free?
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2008 at 3:06am
find yourself a mechanic you like, and stick with him. Definatly go to a privately owned garage too. Corporate crap like Autozone, are trained to rip you off. Privately owned garages have to undercut to keep business too.
adrenalinejunky View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

strike 1 11/24/08 language

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrenalinejunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2008 at 4:55am
Originally posted by Shub Shub wrote:

Don't be a tool. If his oil leak is at a place that a mechanic cannot reach, it will take them several hours to partially or fully remove the engine, and reinstall it. There could be a substantial amount of work involved in replacing the seal, depending on what that is.

I guess they should do everything for free?

both situations can be true...

sometimes it really will take that much effort, but there are quite a few mechanics out there who rip you off however they think they can.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic