Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Do Police Reports Expire ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Ford View Drop Down
Guested on X-Mas day, It’s Coal for Him

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do Police Reports Expire ?
    Posted: 17 September 2008 at 5:35pm
Me and two friends did some stuff to the schools most hated teacher this summer. Now he is threatening to take it to court but, isn't sure what he wants to do yet. Well, actually we really did nothing. I assume the cops wrote the reports to shut him up, me and one friend went up and requested copies of the reports as teacher said he wants one, we didn't know they cost $ so screw him we got our own. for now, gotta wait for them to get them in though.

First report : Friend was driving (kid with Ex cop car) got on it in front of his house, it threw some gravel. He called the cops and blah blah blah, stupid.

Second Report: Other friend drove buy, clipped his garbage can, it fell over and he called the cops for that. He told us his neighbor was pointing a gun at us, lmao go for it.

Also, when I tried to get an estimate of the report cost she told me it depends on the length of the report, she asked what it was for and I only said we knocked a garbage can over and she was just laughing. She thought it was funny a person took the time to call the cops because their can got knocked over.

So my question, do the reports expire, like. After a certain date is he not able to use them against us ? Also, since I wasn't driving and everything was driving related, am I free to go or does that stupid, you're a passenger thing count still ?
Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2008 at 5:37pm
Way to be a moran.
Ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2008 at 5:39pm
Hey, I was just the passenger, it's not like I drove over there and did something, I was just chillin in the passenger seat.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2008 at 5:41pm
Way to be a moran by association.
Ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2008 at 5:42pm
So that does still count ? Even though everything was driver related, nobody exited the vehicle, we all still get it ? I'd tell him to go  himself but I don't want to have him come down hard on my friends who were driving.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2008 at 5:46pm
It has been my experience that they don't expire.  That said, if your explanations of what happened are fairly accurate, I don't see that there is a lot he can take you to court for.

I would however give serious thought to finding smarter friends to hang out with.  

Edited by Mack - 17 September 2008 at 11:28pm
oreomann33 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Can you say ... ZAZZy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oreomann33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2008 at 5:49pm
It doesn't surprise me that this is how you spend your free time.
Ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2008 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

It has been my experience that they don't expire.  That said, if you explanations of what happened are fairly accurate, I don't see that there is a lot he can take you to court for.

I would however give serious thought to finding smarter friends to hang out with.  

The guys such an ass, full of empty promises, lies to my parents, and my friends parents right to their face. He should not be working his job, he thinks he is better than everyone, he just has that mentality I guess.

Also, he even said, "It's pretty bad my my 3 best students do this" Yea, your 3 best/hardest working students just did that, take a freaking hint. He's been trying to hide his home address for so long.

Also, my explanations are accurate, well, first one, friend back up in his driveway to turn around, but tires didn't spin until he was on the dirt part of the road, and, second time my friends truck tires are bald so when he turned around and backed up they squawked a little but nothing major, then he clipped the can on the way out.

What all do you think the most he could do is ?
Ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2008 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by oreomann33 oreomann33 wrote:

Well, I could be liked the rest of the kids at my school, getting high and drunk and then rolling my vehicle while trying to drive home.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2008 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by Ford Ford wrote:

Well, I could be liked the rest of the kids at my school, getting high and drunk and then rolling my vehicle while trying to drive home.
Lamest. Rationalization. Ever.
impulse! View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested - Repeat Offender

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2008 at 6:04pm

If you kill yourself and no one else, I'm all for it.
Ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2008 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by impulse! impulse! wrote:

If you kill yourself and no one else, I'm all for it.

I agree, but I'm not dumb enough to drive like that.
Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I am even less fun in person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2008 at 6:17pm

A report is just a report.  A piece of paper.  It doesn't "expire".  Police departments have document disposal policies, but my suspicion is that they basically keep everything forever.

But that's the wrong question.  The correct question is what the statute of limitations is.

In your case, there are two - criminal and civil.  For a civil torts claim, the statute of limitation is typically two years.  For criminal matters it varies, but certainly more than two years.

If criminal charges are to be brought, they can probably be brought for a long time.  If the guy wants to sue, he probably has a couple of years to do so.

carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2008 at 6:23pm
Warning: This thread may contain high levels of teenage angst.
<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
GI JOES SON View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Got me flowers for my birthday

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GI JOES SON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2008 at 6:24pm
rambino...i as going to bring up SOL, but you did it a lot better than i would've. hands down
Ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2008 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by Rambino Rambino wrote:

If the guy wants to sue, he probably has a couple of years to do so.

What could he really sue for ?
bravecoward View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
oxymoran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bravecoward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2008 at 6:34pm
a drunk or high kid never threaten a life of a teacher >_> 
Ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2008 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by bravecoward bravecoward wrote:

a drunk or high kid never threaten a life of a teacher >_> 

What ?
Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I am even less fun in person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2008 at 6:37pm
property damage, intentional infliction of emotional distress - I'm sure he could think of something.
Ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2008 at 6:39pm
Do you think it would actually get somewhere though ? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic