FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Georgia under Russian attack...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2008 at 1:02pm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/7559252.stm

On a related note, it looks like we'll be sending troops there to deliver aid.
im_new View Drop Down

Guested, language

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im_new Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2008 at 1:14pm
canadas sending money. 1.5 million for the refugees
98 custom pro e-trigger
flatline
torque loader
tippmann expansion chamber
unvolution View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unvolution Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2008 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by im_new im_new wrote:

thats a lot of canadian bacon
Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I am even less fun in person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2008 at 1:45pm

What is that, like two million in real money?

PaiNTbALLfReNzY View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Arsenal FC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaiNTbALLfReNzY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2008 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Rambino Rambino wrote:

Edited by PaiNTbALLfReNzY - 13 August 2008 at 1:56pm
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2008 at 1:58pm

I'd just like to know what they expect $2mil to do...
That's a pretty small sum when we're talking about rebuilding a decent chunk of a country.
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2008 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by Bunkered Bunkered wrote:

I'd just like to know what they expect $2mil to do...
That's a pretty small sum when we're talking about rebuilding a decent chunk of a country.

It's Canada we're talking about here.

rockerdoode View Drop Down

one strike, flaming 7/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockerdoode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2008 at 2:07pm
I don't know why you guys are making a joke about canadian capitol. It Outweighs our dollar by 6 cents right now...so...that 1.5 is still more than ours.  Jokes on us.
"According to Sue Johanson, theres nothing that can increase your manhood, trust me I've already looked into it for myself." -Zata
unvolution View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unvolution Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2008 at 2:07pm
i thought they were gonna buy bacon with it.... everybody loves bacon..... i want bacon now....

poland latvia estonia lithuania and ukriane are all talking with georgia now and condemning russia.. they probably think they are next
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2008 at 2:12pm

Originally posted by unvolution unvolution wrote:

i thought they were gonna buy bacon with it.... everybody loves bacon..... i want bacon now....

poland latvia estonia lithuania and ukriane are all talking with georgia now and condemning russia.. they probably think they are next

If Russia keeps up it's attack momentum...

Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Actuarry itís Skirret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2008 at 2:46pm
LETS INVADE RUSSIA!
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2008 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by Skillet42565 Skillet42565 wrote:

LETS INVADE RUSSIA!

This is the United States of the World, <woops>.

Can't say that apparently...

Edited by Bunkered - 13 August 2008 at 2:51pm
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2008 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by rockerdoode rockerdoode wrote:

I don't know why you guys are making a joke about canadian capitol. It Outweighs our dollar by 6 cents right now...so...that 1.5 is still more than ours.  Jokes on us.

I was going to ask the same thing.
Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I am even less fun in person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2008 at 3:07pm

Originally posted by High Voltage High Voltage wrote:

I think you guys need to read slower...

mbro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2008 at 4:27pm

I don't know why you guys are making a joke about canadian capitol. It Outweighs our dollar by 6 cents right now...so...that 1.5 is still more than ours.† Jokes on us.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2008 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by Evil Elvis Evil Elvis wrote:

Numbers don't mean much in modern warfare Tallen.

While your Coping and Pasting Google up how effective the massive Chinese charges where effective against Marines in Korea.

How one Division Surrounded was able to Fight back to the Sea with their equipment and wounded from the Chosin Reservoir.

How how under 300,000 troops where able to Invade a Country with the 4th Largest land Army at the Time and Obliterate them?

Modern war is 60% won from the Sky now days. With the new F-22 and JSF as well as the reorganization and reshuffling the US Navy is going under now days. And our advances in weapons such as the new Airborne Lazer and other killing machines. Now our soldiers will be linked and better armored I really don't see what some Conscripts that most don't have rifles who will get the hand me down type 56's once most of china's army upgrades to the type 56 bullpup rifle they developed and I hardly see a reason to shudder.

Now, this just shows where you haven't been reading the entire thread EE. I thoroughly understand the importance of Air Superiority in modern warfare. I mention it multiple times in this thread in dealing with the fact that the Russians have been unable to maintain A/S over Georgia. However, air power, as important as it is, cannot win a war by itself. We tried that multiple times over the past half-century, and while it is important to the success of troops on the ground, and absolutely vital when facing a force of superior numbers, it isn't the end-all-be-all that the USAF and Navy would love you to believe it is.

The issue with A/S and the Chinese, however, is that they are rapidly catching up to the US when it comes to airframe and avionic technology. While they can't match the full capabilities of the F-22, they're going to get very very close in a reasonable amount of time. While the Chinese may not have the best and brightest innovators working for them right now, they have one of the best espionage systems in the world. They don't need to come up with technology independently, they just steal it. They did it for the "bomb" why not for our stealth technology.

Do I think war is imminent with the PRC? No, nor did I say so. What is clear is that someday, the two biggest guys on the block are going to duke it out. We did it by proxy with Russia in Afghanistan and got lucky that the country bankrupted itself fighting that war. China won't make the same mistakes. They've been in more wars than we could even imagine and aren't going to make the same mistakes as the "new guys" like the US and Russia can and do.

As for the Chosin Reservoir being a shining example of US superiority. There were plenty of German battalions that made it out of the pockets in Russia after being surrounded by the Red Army back in WWII. It didn't mean that German ability was any better than Russian numbers. It is silly to assume that better technology or morale is superior to overwhelming numbers. While on an individual or small-unit scale it might, on the global level of warfare, larger numbers + massive materiel always win.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2008 at 6:16pm

Originally posted by High Voltage High Voltage wrote:

I don't know why you guys are making a joke about canadian capitol. It Outweighs our dollar by 6 cents right now...so...that 1.5 is still more than ours.† Jokes on us.

I think you guys need to read slower...

I second Rambino.

Pssst... Hey! The USD is $.06 STRONGER than the CAD.
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2008 at 6:22pm
You guys trying to argue air strength and the superiority of the F-22, should probably do a little digging into the projected advances of the Suqhoi or the Terminator variations of the Su-37's and it's probable descendants.  We don't control the skies as effectively as we like to pretend.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Boss_DJ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
hey bud, let’s party!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss_DJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2008 at 6:48pm

lol really

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2008 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

You guys trying to argue air strength and the superiority of the F-22, should probably do a little digging into the projected advances of the Suqhoi or the Terminator variations of the Su-37's and it's probable descendants.† We don't control the skies as effectively as we like to pretend.

That was my point exactly USAF.

Not only are the Chinese online with 100+ J-11's, they have currently started taking delivery of their JF-17 which has many of the same passive-stealth characteristics of the F-35 JSF that EE was touting in his "modern warfare" post. Even their JH-7 supersonic bomber can dominate compaired with our B-1 fleet which we're going to have to rely on a lot more with the B-2 fleet aging rapidly. Their J-10 can go up against anything we've got outside of the F-22 and the J-11's would be almost on par with them as they are essentially Chinese-produced Su-30's.

The shoddy selection process that the US military has used for the past 40 years which favors kick-backs and cost over performance and innovation is going to bite us in the ass before long.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic