FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Georgia under Russian attack...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
impulse! View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested - Repeat Offender

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 1:54am
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 2:10am
Originally posted by JohnnyHopper JohnnyHopper wrote:

I've seen video of their frogfoots being used in this action. Broad daylight and popping flares after each run. I would bet its just easier to lob katyushas then it is for them to find and locate true targets with their jets. Huge rocket barrages are great risk aversion compared to sending pilots in. It also cuts down on house clearing when the buildings aren't there anymore.

Yep, it's confirmed they've been using the frogfoots, so I guess I have to take back my Sukhoi comment, but then again, those suckers are from '79! They were essentially a very poor attempt to copy the A-10. Also, what's the point of popping flares when the S-A armaments of Georgia don't even use heat-seeking missiles and rockets? They're all radar-guided systems... As for the Russians using their SRBMs/Katyushkas, you'd think the last war they learned anything from was WWII. That's all they did in Stalingrad, sit on the opposite bank and fire Katyushkas across until they had destroyed their own city and murdered about a million of their own men.

As far as updates go, the Georgians have pulled back. Pootie-Poot's strategy of bombing their civilian sectors back to the stone age seems to have caught their attention. Meanwhile the Ruskies are amassing a major armor column to the north in stated preparations for an incursion into Georgian Sovereign territory. I'm guessing that the pull-back out of S.Ossetia is in preparation to meet such an attack.

Now, we just need someone to find a few shark-mouth and tiger-stripe stencils and a few extra fully-armed F-22's and we could really make things interesting.

That said, I'm pretty sure if Russia makes an incursion into sovereign Georgian territory and starts marching on Tbilisi and Poti, We're going to go to Defcon 3 and ourselves and Europe are going to start rattling our sabers a bit more loudly. Russia carves out a part of Georgia to divert the pipeline to their own territory and Europe gets blackmailed for energy.

Of course, if we really wanted Georgia to prevail, all we'd need to do is give them a few A-10's at lend-lease pricing and let them go to work on those sovie...err... russian armor columns like they were designed to.

Edited by tallen702 - 10 August 2008 at 2:12am
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 2:23am
Ohhhh!!! Confirmed kill for the Georgians (and they should be proud of this one!) They nailed a TU22-M "Backfire" bomber. Basically the Soviet answer to our B-1b but about twice as fast at Mach 2.3

That's one to hang up over the fireplace!
unvolution View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unvolution Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 2:29am
gonna need a big fireplace.... thanks for the constant updates... im having trouble finding any news on the tele... but then again im switching in between olympics games at the same time... would want to post the site your using for info would you?
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 2:57am
The discussion forums of Fark.com

It's amazing what happens when you get a bunch of people arguing on the internet over world events.

Everything I've posted has been backed by Reuters, the AP, or other independent news agencies.
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 8:47am
I know I'm already the warhawk type, but is anyone against us sending support to Georgia, and if so, why?

Think about it... send a battalion of support, just for show, and Russia won't dare go in. We don't even need to do any active combat missions, and they don't even need to be there to fight.

A single US soldier/Marine death and NATO would be in there so fast, Russia's head would spin.

Update: Ukraine has threatened to blocked access to Russia's navy from their home ports.

PS: Tom Clancy's EndWar coming true?!

Edited by Linus - 10 August 2008 at 8:48am

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 9:09am
Originally posted by Linus Linus wrote:

I know I'm already the warhawk type, but is anyone against us sending support to Georgia, and if so, why?

Think about it... send a battalion of support, just for show, and Russia won't dare go in. We don't even need to do any active combat missions, and they don't even need to be there to fight.

A single US soldier/Marine death and NATO would be in there so fast, Russia's head would spin.

I'll give you one reason, four little alpha-numerics: RS-24.

Regardless of what your overenthusiastic history teachers may have preached to you in primary schools, the Cold War was never over. Nuclear arms reduction has also been a sham. Russia gladly signed the SALT and START treaties due to the fact that their missiles were rapidly becoming obsolete and un-maintainable/un-refuelable. All the "reduction" did was make them look good while they got rid of their old technology and came up with that nice little MIRV platform I mentioned above.

The USSR never died, it lost a few pounds in the form of breakaway states, but if you look at the so-called "Federation", it's still effectively a 1 party system based around the old central-soviet style of leadership. They paid lip service to the process of democracy but ultimately remained soviet in all but name.

That is why we can't intervene as a nation. It'd be WW-III
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 9:11am
The US sending combat troops to Georgia probably wouldn't go over too well.
Especially since most people I've talked to don't even know about this whole situation.
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 9:15am
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

That is why we can't intervene as a nation. It'd be WW-III

You make that sound like a bad thing

But to be honest, it has just as much to do with politics as it does with oil.

Georgia has the 3rd largest population of their soldiers in Iraq... if they can't count on us to help thwart a Russian advance, who CAN they count on?

Yes, it /could/ lead to international conflict, but Russia would have to be pretty stupid to attack ANY US soldiers in Georgia. Doing so would be an instant response from NATO, and no matter how far they have come technologically, they simply cannot stand up to the power of all those western countries.

Look at the losses they've received from Georgia, who was only trained by the US.

Edited by Linus - 10 August 2008 at 9:16am

High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 9:15am
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

It'd be WW-III

Bring it on!
Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 11:55am
Where's Charlie Wilson when you need him. 
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 12:26pm
I'd have to throw my support behind the A-10 idea. I know we just moved a bunch of them from here out to the bone yard and to other bases. Trained pilots could be an issue. As of now we do have over 100 military trainers in country with no plans to withdraw them, most are stationed outside Tiblisi, hopefully not at the airfields and bases being bombed now. No casualties reported so far. Right now I think we need to see how fast we can move Georgian troops out of Iraq and back home to prepare for any Russian incursion into sovereign Georgian territory. Putin has accused Georgia of genocide and stated that "The territorial integrity of Georgia has suffered a fatal blow." I assume this means that at the very least, the Russian Federation will be absorbing South Ossetia and bombing the rest of it into the stone age if they don't roll into Tiblisi and install their own puppet government. 
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 12:43pm
The Georgians thought they could use the opening ceremonies of the Olympics as a nice smokescreen to roll South Ossetia, and are now getting spanked by the Russians... No great surprise there. The Russians, with their normal tact and diplomacy, seem to be bombing economic and civilian targets in retaliation. This will either settle to a slow simmer quickly, or explode into a real (but very regional) mess.

The Ukraine has threatened to block the Russian Black Sea fleet from returning to its ports in the Caucasus- Rostov, I believe. Ukraine has been heavily courted by NATO recently, so this could be an interesting development.

I don't have enough knowledge or information to pick sides on this one... I think the Georgians tried to pull a fast one, got stomped, but then Russia started going overboard on their response. I fully expect that there is more to this than meets the eyes, however.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Actuarry itís Skirret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 12:50pm
Both sides are clearly in the wrong here.
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 1:05pm
http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/08/10/georgia.html

CBC is now reporting that Georgia has declared a ceasefire, and has either withdrawn from or been forced out of South Ossetia. There are reports that Russian aircraft have continued bombing Georgian targets outside of South Ossetia. Georgia is apparently making overtures to Russia for a diplomatic solution.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by Skillet42565 Skillet42565 wrote:

Both sides are clearly in the wrong here.

How is it in the wrong to want to push separatist out of your own land?

JohnnyHopper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I.O.U. a punch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 6:47pm
I'm sure the russian version of Cindy Shehan is probably leading a chant in Russia right now.

"More oil and blood"
"More oil and blood"

Edited by JohnnyHopper - 10 August 2008 at 7:32pm
My shoes of peace have steel toes.
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/08/10/georgia.html

CBC is now reporting that Georgia has declared a ceasefire, and has either withdrawn from or been forced out of South Ossetia. There are reports that Russian aircraft have continued bombing Georgian targets outside of South Ossetia. Georgia is apparently making overtures to Russia for a diplomatic solution.
Apparently the US has also moved the 2,000 troops from Iraq to Georgia to reinforce. Although it does look as though Georgia was trying to pull a fast one and got spanked by the Russians, both sides were obviously preparing for this, with the Russians massing troops on the border and the Georgian incursion no doubt waiting for an attack by sepratists to justify it's own incursion. Apparently the sepratists violated a cease-fire with artillery fire killing ten, so Georgia went in, Russia responded harshly, and now CNN has it that Russia is calling for the Georgian President's resignation or they'll roll the entire country. I'm not sure they can be persuaded to just take south Ossetia. Anyway, fill your gas tank now. If it comes down to it, the new yuppie neighbors have a bomb-shelter from the 50's that they don't know about.

Edited by rednekk98 - 10 August 2008 at 7:14pm
JohnnyHopper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I.O.U. a punch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 11:03pm

I've seen these odds before when playing axis and allies. If they're smart they'll scream and throw the board and pieces at the "cheater" before they go home.

Edited by JohnnyHopper - 10 August 2008 at 11:03pm
My shoes of peace have steel toes.
rockerdoode View Drop Down

one strike, flaming 7/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockerdoode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2008 at 3:51am
This is all extremely terrifying to think what could happen because of this. I hope this is all resolved quickly without any more casualties.

I feel sorry for the next president, whoever he is.
"According to Sue Johanson, theres nothing that can increase your manhood, trust me I've already looked into it for myself." -Zata
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic