FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Georgia under Russian attack...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Brian Fellows View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
That’s MISTER Fellows to you...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Fellows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2008 at 11:00pm
It looks like Georgian government websites are being DDoSed.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Swearing on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2008 at 12:01am
Originally posted by Brian Fellows Brian Fellows wrote:

It looks like Georgian government websites are being DDoSed.

I'd rather suspect that it's more a factor of bombing command and control resources.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
*Stealth* View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Watermarked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stealth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2008 at 12:06am
Man, the world is going to hell fast...

... That draft keeps looking more and more likely as time goes along.
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2008 at 5:27am
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

That's what really makes me question this scenario. Putin obviously isn't happy with the drop in oil futures. That means less money funneled into Gazprom's funds and thus less money funneled to him. I wouldn't put it past him to be pulling a Dub-ya just to line his own pockets.

Which would be no money then?

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but considering that we get less then half the amount of oil from Iraq then we do from other countries we don't like such as Venezuela, and we haven't invaded them, this whole Iraq war for oil point seems pretty weak to me. Not meaning to derail the thread.

That being said this is beginning to look very familiar .
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
JohnnyHopper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I.O.U. a punch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2008 at 9:33am
Russian tanks battle Georgian tank....

Looks like a quagmire to me :)
My shoes of peace have steel toes.
Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Actuarry itís Skirret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2008 at 9:37am
Those are APCs, noob.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I.O.U. a punch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2008 at 10:01am
Originally posted by Skillet42565 Skillet42565 wrote:

Those are APCs, noob.

No crap... MT-LB's

Next you'll be telling me that the Georgian tank is really a "cow".

It looks like the guys with AK's winning

Edited by JohnnyHopper - 09 August 2008 at 10:47am
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2008 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by JohnnyHopper JohnnyHopper wrote:

Originally posted by Skillet42565 Skillet42565 wrote:

Those are APCs, noob.

No crap... MT-LB's

Next you'll be telling me that the Georgian tank is really a "cow".

Actually, the first couple are BMP's.

But anyhow, I'm surprised at the lack of coverage on the major news stations. I've seen more reports on Edwards affair then the conflict.

Conspiracy by the Dem's to make the world look peaceful? /sarcasm

unvolution View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unvolution Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2008 at 1:38pm
im comfused now... i was looking up the conflict and this says georgia started it.... anyone else wanna indulge me with more information?
t_hop View Drop Down
Streike 1, 5/16 filter dodge/inapp. link

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_hop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2008 at 2:49pm

Originally posted by Evil Elvis Evil Elvis wrote:

Originally posted by karll karll wrote:

Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

One of the best movies evar.

Word, and best Swayzee movie ever.

what movie is this?

"I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum."
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2008 at 2:55pm
red dawn
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Prettiest Princess in all the lands

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2008 at 4:24pm
Red Dawn was a terrible movie.

Or is that the joke?
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2008 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by unvolution unvolution wrote:

im comfused now... i was looking up the conflict and this says georgia started it.... anyone else wanna indulge me with more information?

Georgia went to take one of its territories back from separatist. Russia, who is friendly to said separatist, attacks Georgia.

tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2008 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by unvolution unvolution wrote:

Georgia invaded the semi-autonomous region of South Ossetia in response to their further attempts to secede and re-join the province of North Ossetia which is currently a member of the Russian Federation. Essentially North and South Ossetia were autonomous oblasts within the USSR. South Ossetia was an autonomous oblast in Georgian SSR until the breakup of the Soviet Union back in '89/'90. When the breakup occurred, Georgia retained the territory of South Ossetia and decided to withdraw from the USSR and thus remain separate from the Russian Federation which is essentially made up of all the former autonomous oblasts outside of Russia proper that decided not to strike out on their own and continue to suckle at Moscow's teat.

The Ossetians are linguistically different from Georgians (who in turn are linguistically different from Russians) though almost all other racial markers have been erased over time due to the forced resettlement programs of the post-war USSR.

Georgia is very anti-Russian due to the fact that the USSR essentially sacked and raped their country for use as a resort for high-ranking NKVD/KGB officers as well as members of the Kremlin. After the division of the USSR in '89/'90, Georgia went back to using their own language (including their own alphabet) as the official language of the country. The South-Ossetians, on the other hand, are Russophiles and wish to rejoin the old USSR in it's new form of the Russian Federation. The two factions within Georgia have been at war since the break up and the recent increase in hostilities were a result of Georgia responding to further secession movements by the South Ossetians such as their acceptance of Russian National Passports for every South Ossetian citizen. Essentially they told Georgia to go screw themselves, they were "Russian" now that they had the passports.

Russia is increasingly interested in regaining the land as it is rich in oil and offers and even closer route to the black-sea for the exportation of it's rich oil and natural gas wealth. Hence, Putin and Medvedev are more than happy to aid them in secession.

What I have found interesting is that the Ossetians and the Russians continually state that "Ossetia" was a "Country" prior to the formation of the USSR. However, the land which the South Ossetians claim as theirs has been Georgian land from 1008AD through 1802 when the Russian Empire brought it's ally into the fold during the Caucasus War with Persia.

As far as whoever it was that questioned my statement about "Pulling a Dubya" Oil is the case in this current conflict between Georgia and Russia. In Iraq, Dubya, Cheney, and all their friends lined their pockets with contract work. Anyone who says it was a war for oil is an idiot. It was a war to destroy a country that would need to be re-built.

Georgia has no strategic use for crude oil. If the Russians were just hitting refineries and fuel storage, that would be one thing, but they're severing every possible manner in which the Georgians can produce and ship oil right now.

Don't believe me? Click Here

They've also been hitting container ships owned by independent companies, not military targets. They're hitting civilian targets to throw the country into economic ruin for wanting to play for our team instead of the old Warsaw Pact group. They don't want a NATO friendly potential missile shield site right to their south. The Easiest path to Moscow is the North-South access afforded by Georgia. Georgia's northern mountains also act as a natural defense against counter-attack.
unvolution View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unvolution Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2008 at 11:33pm
thanks tallen
tallen702 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2008 at 11:52pm
Apparently the Russians are now pretty much lobbing SRBMs (Short Range Ballistic Missiles) into Georgia. Not much worse than a bombing run or Katyusha rocket-fire, but it makes me believe that the Georgian claims of downing 5 Russian fighter-bombers are more accurate than the Russians are letting on. It's better to strategically bomb a target or use directed artillery fire than to use SRBMs to take it down. Accuracy for one reason, payload for another. Something tells me that the Georgian AAA defenses are to be reckoned with. Time for me to go look up their AAA systems in 'Janes'.

Edit:

Having looked at the Georgian Air Defense units, it is completely possible that they knocked down a few Russian Air frames. They've got a lot of radar guided mobile missile launching systems and from the pictures I've seen, the Russians are using older MiG airframes that are susceptible to older radar guided SAM systems. Not one Sukhoi in the pictures I've seen.

I'm just waiting for Putin/Medvedev to launch off one of their SS/25 IRBMs and go "oops!" as they vaporize a quarter of Tbilisi.

Edited by tallen702 - 10 August 2008 at 12:00am
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I.O.U. a punch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 12:32am
I've seen video of their frogfoots being used in this action. Broad daylight and popping flares after each run. I would bet its just easier to lob katyushas then it is for them to find and locate true targets with their jets. Huge rocket barrages are great risk aversion compared to sending pilots in. It also cuts down on house clearing when the buildings aren't there anymore.
Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 12:57am
Well the Russians aren't the big spenders they where back in the 80's. While Russian federation forces are in a modernization process, their arms are still pretty much ineffective for a conventional war.

.357 Magnum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested and IP banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .357 Magnum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 1:02am
No worries,

Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 1:04am
Same with their anti-tank missiles and guns Tallen... they've apparently knocked out quite a few T's.

Gotta love seeing our training in action.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic