Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Police Given Permission to Shoot Dogs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Zata View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Police Given Permission to Shoot Dogs
    Posted: 02 August 2008 at 8:49pm
This seems to have stirred up some controversy in my area based on all the comments the article got.

Article

Basically 2 pitt bulls were fighting in a house and the owners couldn't stop them.  They called the cops, and gave them written permission to shoot the dogs.  Now everyones freaking out about it.

I don't see what the big deal is.  Even if these dogs were separated safely, they probably would have just put them down anyways
oreomann33 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Can you say ... ZAZZy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oreomann33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2008 at 8:53pm
Why would anyone want a pit bull?

merc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
American Scotchy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2008 at 9:12pm
this is why people should have guns... shoot your own damn dogs...

side note if i was the cop i would have at leaste tried to spray the dogs or been bags or something.

fighting dogs would probably be put down anyways but i wouldent have wanted to deal with the BS.
saving the world, one warship at a time.
jordanpischke View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanpischke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2008 at 9:26pm

Originally posted by oreomann33 oreomann33 wrote:

Tru dat.

sporx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sporx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2008 at 11:37pm
there are other ways to stop dogs from fighting rather than shooting them. that's just ridiculous.

Brian Fellows View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
That’s MISTER Fellows to you...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Fellows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2008 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by sporx sporx wrote:

there are other ways to stop dogs from fighting rather than shooting them. that's just ridiculous.

Yeah, like bludgeoning them to death with a shovel.
.357 Magnum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested and IP banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .357 Magnum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2008 at 12:51am
I'd of shot their asses, you don't want to get in the middle of two dogs that are fighting.
Da Hui View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested, 9/13 Inappropiate post content

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Hui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2008 at 12:56am
Pit Bulls can be good dogs. It's idiot owners (much like these) who let these dogs get into trouble. Because these idiots obviously had no idea how to properly raise this breed, two dogs are now dead. GG

Why is it that the police where called instead of the proper authorities (Animal Control)?
Predatorr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Predatorr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2008 at 1:06am
Originally posted by .357 Magnum .357 Magnum wrote:

I'd of shot their asses, you don't want to get in the middle of two dogs that are fighting.

that would go through a dog's hips, rendering it useless, and going through all of the rear end.  That would be horrible.

They could've manned up and tried to pull them off, hit em with a stick, anything but shot them.  I'd flip if someone did that to my dog, I love my dog
Savage93fvss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Savage93fvss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2008 at 1:27am
But they said they could shoot them. The dogs where fighting, obviously it was a hell of a fight. They could of tazed both of the dogs at the same time and them put them down later. Or they could of just shot them, right there, like they did. I see nothing at all wrong with what the police officers did.
Zata View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2008 at 2:01am
Originally posted by Da Hui Da Hui wrote:

Why is it that the police where called instead of the proper authorities (Animal Control)?

Originally posted by Article Article wrote:

Lyle Herman, director of St. Clair County Humane Law Enforcement, said the agency isn't responsible for animal control in Port Huron, but he believes the dogs' fates would have been the same if the agency had been involved.

Since the two dogs couldn't be separated, the agency likely would have called police for help, he said.

Not really sure what Humane Law Enforcement is (I've never heard of it till now), but apparently according to that quote, it wouldn't have made a difference.

Edited by Zata - 03 August 2008 at 2:02am
.636 View Drop Down
Strike 1, 9/13 inappropiate post content

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .636 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2008 at 2:30am
Originally posted by oreomann33 oreomann33 wrote:

Why would anyone want a Labrador.

Properly trained pit bulls are suck up dogs. Very smart and are very gentle. Took care of one for a while and all it did was want to lay on me or play.
Ace_Of_Spades View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested, Doesnt follow Rules. 9/10/08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace_Of_Spades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2008 at 2:55am

I dont see the problem, the owners gave the officers written permission to shoot them. Although pepper spray and/or tasers would have been much more effective and could hvae kept the dogs alive.

However, it seems as though those dogs were trained to fight, so it was probably better off they were shot than to have let them live and kill other dogs in the illegal rings.

TheWrAith View Drop Down
Strike one, swearing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheWrAith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2008 at 3:05am
 I remember hearing along time ago, S.W.A.T raided some drug dealers houses, they reportedly killed 4 or so pitbulls the owners had in the entry of the house...

I hate pitbulls... you can have the sweetest pitbull in the world, but there's still a chance one day, it could snap and attack you...
Black*1* then*1* White Are*2* All I see*3* in my infancy*5* red and yellow then came to be*8* reaching out to me*5* lets me see*3*
Swing on the Spiral=
.636 View Drop Down
Strike 1, 9/13 inappropiate post content

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .636 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2008 at 3:08am
Originally posted by TheWrAith TheWrAith wrote:

I hate pitbulls... you can have the sweetest pitbull in the world, but there's still a chance one day, it could snap and attack you...

Just like any other dog can
Ace_Of_Spades View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested, Doesnt follow Rules. 9/10/08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace_Of_Spades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2008 at 3:11am

Originally posted by .636 .636 wrote:

however true that may be, pitbulls are still worse due to thier oversized jaw and the ammount of pressure they can apply with it. And NTm the fact that thier breeding was ment for fighting, so they have more of an aggression factor in thier brains than most every other dog does

Edited by Ace_Of_Spades - 03 August 2008 at 3:12am
impulse! View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested - Repeat Offender

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2008 at 3:27am
Originally posted by Ace_Of_Spades Ace_Of_Spades wrote:

however true that may be, pitbulls are still worse due to thier oversized jaw and the ammount of pressure they can apply with it. And NTm the fact that thier breeding was ment for fighting, so they have more of an aggression factor in thier brains than most every other dog does

Rottweilers> Pitbulls

For jaw strength. I love my rotty.
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2008 at 6:41am
Originally posted by impulse! impulse! wrote:

I hate pitbulls... you can have the sweetest pitbull in the world, but there's still <span style="font-weight: bold;">a chance one day, it could snap and attack you...</span>

Rottweilers> PitbullsFor jaw strength. I love my rotty.

I wish I still had mine.
He was a monster; 140 pounds at age 3, and not fat.
He never tried to hurt anyone, but he'd scare the crap out of people that he didn't know when they came to our house.
Styro Folme View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styro Folme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2008 at 7:09am

Any dog has enough jaw pressure to kill someone.  And because they're "bread for fighting" doesn't mean that's what they're going to do if raised properly.  By your logic, because our ancestors killed animals with spears to survive, means I'm going to run around my city holding a spear and eating raw squirrel-on-a-stick.  Maybe not today, but it could happen someday, right? 
Da Hui View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested, 9/13 Inappropiate post content

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Hui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2008 at 9:46am

I dont see the problem, the owners gave the officers written permission to shoot them. Although pepper spray and/or tasers would have been much more effective and could hvae kept the dogs alive.

However, it seems as though those dogs were trained to fight, so it was probably better off they were shot than to have let them live and kill other dogs in the illegal rings.

Do you have any experience at all with this breed or your just repeating what you've heard from the news/other people?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic