Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tippmann 68-Carbine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
KevC316 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevC316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tippmann 68-Carbine
    Posted: 26 July 2008 at 10:13pm
I just got a free gun from a friend, 68-Carbine (old gun i know). he tells me that it leaks at the part where the gas line connects. im new to paintball and i need some help on wat parts to get and where i can get em... thanks
t_hop View Drop Down
Streike 1, 5/16 filter dodge/inapp. link

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_hop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2008 at 12:05am
You should take the line off, just unscrew it. Then clean the threads bare, and with a decent helping of loctite screw it back onto the gun. Now if it is still leaking air you can spray some windex on it, and wait till you see where the air bubbles out. It could be number of things from a hole worn in the line, to a bad oring.
"I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum."
Styro Folme View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styro Folme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2008 at 6:00am
Sounds like a bad fitting, which is very normal.  Take the hose apart from the tank adapter, and see if the threads aren't damaged.  If all is go, screw back on with a SINGLE lap of teflon tape.  I don't recommend loc-tite. 

If this doesn't work, it wouldn't help to replace the fittings and hose.  This would run possibly around $15.

It's worth it.  The Carbines are very neat.  Don't see much of them around anymore.
KevC316 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevC316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2008 at 11:07am
the thing is... i tryed to get the fittings off and the hose off the tank adapter but no matter how many times i unscrewed the hose from the fittings it would not come off. and the hose would not come off the adapter
merc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
American Scotchy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2008 at 11:19am
the hose probably has a swivel use a wrench on the hex part and turn it counter clock wise.

clean the threads off with some scotch brite (scruffy side of a spunge) use some teflon tape and seal it back up.
saving the world, one warship at a time.
t_hop View Drop Down
Streike 1, 5/16 filter dodge/inapp. link

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_hop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2008 at 12:19pm
teflon tape, loctite. Same theory, just depends on whats in your toolbox.
"I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum."
merc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
American Scotchy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2008 at 12:51pm
locktite is alot more expensve. it works the same as teflon tape but you dont have to wait for it to set up. when working with high pressure or different gasses (like on a tank) it can be very dangerous if you get anything inside. teflon tape is a little easier to control.

on a side note. the pic in your sig is far to big.

but it looks like you have a hard line. you may have a bad seal there. i would replace the line with a steel braided hose if you can.
saving the world, one warship at a time.
ShortyBP View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

A G F Y

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortyBP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2008 at 8:51am
Not so much for the cost... teflon tape is more "forgiving".

Should you need to undo the hose again... or should you find that it wasn't the fitting itself that was leaking... if you use loctite, depending on what "color", you make things much harder for yourself. Teflon tape makes the fitting easy to remove. Low strength (purple) loctite is all I'd use on fittings. Medium (blue) at the max... I don't recommend High strength (red) loctite for any on-marker use.

It's very common for the valve reduction fitting o-ring to get mashed up. My theory would be that this ring needs replacing... if the leak is truly at the fitting and not "down the barrel", which would suggest valve issues.

http://www.tippmannparts.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.pr odInfo&productID=786&categoryID=14
Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2008 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by t_hop t_hop wrote:

You should take the line off, just unscrew it. Then clean the threads bare, and with a decent helping of loctite screw it back onto the gun. Now if it is still leaking air you can spray some windex on it, and wait till you see where the air bubbles out. It could be number of things from a hole worn in the line, to a bad oring.

No no no no no. If you dont know, dont answer.

The carbine uses a small o-ring between the gas fitting and the valve. Thats your culprit. Just bring the brass fitting into the paint shop, and get an o-ring that fits on the slightly tapered part.
KevC316 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevC316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2008 at 11:38am
srry guys but all this sounds like rocket science to me.. im not familiar with paintball.. i just wanna get started
Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2008 at 6:12pm
Well, since Im the only one that actually described the problem, its not that difficult.

Use a wrench, remove the air line where it leads into the reciever of the gun. Take the brass fitting on the end of the gas line into a shop and get an o-ring that fits on the flare of the fitting.

Or just take the whole thing in to the shop, pay someone money to do something that you could easily do yourself, and not learn anything.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2008 at 6:09am
Originally posted by Enos Shenk Enos Shenk wrote:

The carbine uses a small o-ring between the gas fitting and the valve. Thats your culprit. Just bring the brass fitting into the paint shop, and get an o-ring that fits on the slightly tapered part.

This is your answer.
^^^^^^

I traded a 98 custom for a 68 carbine and it had the SAME problem.

Unscrew the hose from the marker and look into the hole, down into the valve and onto the very end of the fitting that screws in. If there is no little o-ring either on the fitting or stuck in the valve, you need a new one. Look carefully, the remnants of the o-ring might be shredded and stuck down in the valve, you can dig it out with a toothpick.

This particular sized o-ring is tough to come across at paint shops, but I actually found the size I was looking for at Home Depot. You might have to try a few sizes, but at .18 cents apiece, its no big deal.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic