FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Well...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Well...
    Posted: 10 July 2008 at 3:52pm
Something pretty scary hit close to home last night.

I wake up this morning to find out my neighbor's house was completely destroyed in a fire last night. My parents say there was emergency vehicles moving all through the morning after the fire was reported, around 3:00 AM. By then, most of the house was already destroyed and there wasn't much that could be done.

The family has been out on vacation in New York for a little while now. I know them fairly well, I babysat the two kids who are just younger than middle school age when I they needed someone to. I guess the father is going to be arriving alone in just about two hours to see the damage. The kids were too upset to come, and so they're staying with their mother in New York, where they have relatives.

Almost the whole thing is burnt down. Only the front steps and most of the grage is left standing, I guess the bulk of whatever is left of the house collapsed into the basement. Its kinda wierd just seeing nothing where a house was the day before. Its just kinda scary when it hits that close to home, right down the street. I walked through that entire house, and to now see nothing where it was is wierd.

Oh, and our neighborhood hasn't had working hydrants since the town put them in. The crews had to set up a system over half a mile long to get water from a pond thats at the entrance of the development. Supposedly the reporter from Channel 30 is finally going to investigate it.

Link to video
Link to story

Anyways, I just ask that you think of them. I can't imagine being on vacation and hearing that every possesion of mine is now gone, in the blink of an eye. Everything they had been working for is lost, and they have no place to call home. I just can't imagine having to bear that. So, please pray for them, think of them, whatever. I understand that some of you probably won't care, which is fine. I just needed to go over all this in my head.
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2008 at 4:03pm

Wow, that's terrible.

The city had better offer them a hell of a settlement due to the hydrant thing.

"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
im_new View Drop Down

Guested, language

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im_new Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2008 at 4:39pm

earlier this week a house burnt down in my town.  probably less than 2000 people here, and we have a volunteer fire dept.  a grease fire in the kitchen started it.  fire dept was called and put out EXCEPT for the smoldering in the attic which lit up again at 3.am.  the department said it was not safe to stay in the home so the family was staying next door. wake up in the morning and house is burnt to the ground.  bad news for them NO HOME INSURANCE.  they're gonna try and sue the fire department. but i dont know how well that will go over as a volunteer fire department.

bad news all around

98 custom pro e-trigger
flatline
torque loader
tippmann expansion chamber
Pariel View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested - language.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pariel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2008 at 6:29pm
That sounds horrible--I honestly can't imagine what I would do if my house burned down.

Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

Wow, that's terrible.

The city had better offer them a hell of a settlement due to the hydrant thing.

Yeah, the city is going to be paying out the butt for that screw up.

Robotech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robotech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2008 at 6:36pm
In my house they actually put in fire sprinklers when they built it.  Every story I hear like this makes me thankful they did.
New to the sport?

Proud owner of a WS-66 A-5 ACP
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2008 at 6:49pm
I definitely for-see them getting a MASSIVE settlement out of the city not having working hydrants there.  It will be interesting to see how the courts handle it, ie; if they will compensated for the entire cost of a house(through damages and maybe pain/suffering?) or if the judge will rule that the hydrants wouldn't have stopped it from starting in the first place, in which case only a partial cost would be given.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
ThatGuitarGuy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Square Slot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGuitarGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2008 at 7:10pm
usaf, regardless of whether or not the hydrants would have stopped it, I would think that the time wasted with the crews setting up a half mile chain of hoses and pump would have been more useful putting out a fire had there been working hydrants.

Yomillo.  Sucks for your neighbors, be sure you help them in any way possible.

Just out of curiosity, were you home then? How did the emergency vehicles not wake you up?
Skillet:     I've never been terribly fond of the look of a vagina
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2008 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by ThatGuitarGuy ThatGuitarGuy wrote:

usaf, regardless of whether or not the hydrants would have stopped it, I would think that the time wasted with the crews setting up a half mile chain of hoses and pump would have been more useful putting out a fire had there been working hydrants.

That's the point I was making.  The fire would have happened either way, and I was wondering how that will affect the judges decision regarded a payout worth a new house versus a partial one.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
ammolord View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammolord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2008 at 12:13am

wow, that sucks.

PSN Tag: AmmoLord
XBL: xXAmmoLordXx

~Minister of Tinkering With Things That Go "BOOM!"(AKA Minister of Munitions)~
RoboCop View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2008 at 12:47am
I have a working fire hydrant in my front yard.
Sucks. My brothers dad tried to burn down our house once with us in it, but we wouldn't come home because we knew something was up. Installing some new water pipes, we started a fire and it scared us, but we were able to put it out.

SandMan:"oh yeah, sporx is totally hot"
.357 Magnum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested and IP banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .357 Magnum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2008 at 1:05am
That really sucks.
Ilford Rule View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ilford Rule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2008 at 1:54am
Originally posted by RoboCop RoboCop wrote:

Sucks. My brothers dad tried to burn down our house once with us in it, but we wouldn't come home because we knew something was up. Installing some new water pipes, we started a fire and it scared us, but we were able to put it out.

CPro (w/ polished internals)
14" Bigshot
BT SBS
Various Rails
NcSTAR D4B
Macro
AA 68/45

CCI Phantom
45 Grips
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2008 at 2:25am
Originally posted by Ilford Rule Ilford Rule wrote:

Its really easy to start a fire installing pipes . . .

Propane torch + dry wooden rafters next to pipes = messy.  I charred a few rafters in our attic when I put in a new water line.

Yomillo, sucks for your neighbors, hope they get everything worked out alright.  I doubt any judge would take the fact that working fire hydrants would not have prevented the fire into serious consideration. Fire departments and fire hydrants are set-up with tax payer money to respond to fires, not prevent them.  If the city installed fire hydrants and failed to connect them, they did not offer the protection implied or guaranteed by their presence.

But then again I'm no lawyer.
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2008 at 2:29am

Wait, what?
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2008 at 2:32am
Unless it was arson.

Arson most foul!
<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
rockerdoode View Drop Down

one strike, flaming 7/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockerdoode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2008 at 5:47am
Yeah man...thats crazy...I'm sure considering all the facts though, after they've been displaced for awhile, the city will take care of them.

Now that being said, I believe Robocop is hijacking this thread.

what the hell is he talking about? Story time! Story time!
"According to Sue Johanson, theres nothing that can increase your manhood, trust me I've already looked into it for myself." -Zata
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2008 at 9:16am
Well, the problem is that we have a community well, which is what would be supplying the hydrants. They currently don't because the water company didn't want to pay for it, so I imagine that if anyone, they would be the ones being sued or that have to issue a settlement as opposed to my town. Isn't it ultimatley the town's responsibility to take care of that though? I guess I'll just have to see how it all plays out. I don't think the family would take any kind of court action, they aren't really like that.

Snake, I have no idea how the emergency vehicles didn't wake me up. I don't think the sirens were going because we live in a dead-end development, so no traffic. I must have been really tired because I also slept through a 6:00 am appointment on my phone's calender.

I guess yesterday morning a guy who restores buildings showed up bright and early to the property and was talking to some of the neighboring kids. My next door neighbor told him to get the hell off the property, that he has no place there. I was pretty impressed, shes normally not one to take that kind of initiative. It made me laugh.

Anyways, I'll see if I can get a few pictures today. My mom walked the property yesterday. They were really lucky that the woods didn't ignight because I guess the heat was intense enough to completely melt the shudders on their shed, which is at least 40' away from the house.

I'm really interested to see if they can figure out what started the fire. Right now the only thing we know is that it probably wasn't started in the kitchen because their kitchen is right next to the garage, which only partially burned.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic