FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

$950

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: $950
    Posted: 30 June 2008 at 4:15pm

That's what it would cost for me to replace the timing belt on my car.

Instead, I'm going to go get a loan, get a salvage yard give me $100 for my doo doo brown-mobile, and go get myself a new car.

just when I think that I'm going to be ok money wise for the summer, and be able to make a couple of big purchases. 

Now I'm off to find a $5000 car, that has less miles than my subaru did, and is in good shape before my roomy can't lend her car out to me to go to my night job. 

this sucks.

Pariel View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested - language.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pariel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 4:16pm
That is truly a bummer.

Get a bike.
Monk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 4:17pm
Um... fix it yourself. I replaced a head gasket for $100, and the shop wanted to charge me $900. Timing belt is not that hard, just get a manual and have at it.

Edited by Monk - 30 June 2008 at 4:18pm
/\ /\ \/ \/ < > < > B A START
Da Hui View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested, 9/13 Inappropiate post content

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Hui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 4:19pm
What are you looking into as a replacement?

In before Import vs Domestic Argument - In before .357 says something stupid.
.357 Magnum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested and IP banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .357 Magnum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 4:21pm
If you have the tools and are somewhat mechanically inclined do it yourself. Shops rape people on timing belts. The belt is like $20. The rest is labor cost. It might take some work but if your tight on money it could save you some.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 4:27pm

i'm looking at any small, 4cylinder cars, w/ less than 70k miles, for $5k or less.  fords, toyotas, chevys, dodges, whatever... the best one that fits that description is what I'll be getting.  I don't care what it is... actually I take that back, I refuse to drive a neon or cavalier.  (watch, now I'm going to end up with a neon.)

and... I have no access to anything that would resemble even a basic tool shop, let alone a place to work on a car.  I'm not fixing it.  It's 21 years old, leaks oil, has some electrical problems, and now doesn't run.  screw it.  I got it for $500 from my grandma a few years ago and I consider myself lucky to get what I got out of it. 

Oh yeah, and I have a bike... I ride it to my day job.  but I can't ride the 20 miles or whatever it is to my night job... especially back at 11pm. 

brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 4:28pm
Why not get a timing belt from same salvage yard? They're great, cheap sources of parts.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
Monk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 4:29pm
In that case, I would hit up craigslist.com and try to find something quick and dirty from around your area.
/\ /\ \/ \/ < > < > B A START
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 4:31pm

I'm not mechanically inclined... at all...

Plus, I have no time whatsoever to start a project like this.  With cars, I'm one of those guys who would rather pay someone who knows A LOT more than I do to fix problems.  I'll change my oil... but that's about it.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested and IP banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .357 Magnum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 4:31pm
As Monk said, craigslist. Just make sure to look the stuff over real well.

And Da Hui,

OMG DON'T BUY IMPORTS CUZ THEY ARE TEH EVIL AND SUXKS.

Did that please you? Now how about you change your avatar.
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by .357 Magnum .357 Magnum wrote:

As Monk said, craigslist. Just make sure to look the stuff over real well.

And Da Hui,

OMG DON'T BUY IMPORTS CUZ THEY ARE TEH EVIL AND SUXKS.

Did that please you? Now how about you change your avatar.

He said in before you said something stupid, so why did you speak?
Que pasa?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested and IP banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .357 Magnum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 4:37pm
Because now he's in before I said something stupid. See.
AfricanAmerican View Drop Down
Guested

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AfricanAmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 5:42pm
Can't go anywhere on the forum without receiving a harsh serving of fail from Horsepower.
Do it again, and you're banned.
Mehs View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
An Hero

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mehs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 5:51pm
Get a Saturn S series, they're fairly cheap, 4 cyldiner, good on gas, and pretty reliable (at least with my experience).  You could probably find one for $5000 or less on Craigslist.  
[IMG]http://i27.tinypic.com/1538fbc.jpg">
Squeeze Box
b1and View Drop Down
Guested 7/16 Flaming

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b1and Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 7:14pm
Buy a gorilla and just ride it everywhere
ammolord View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammolord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 7:29pm
cavalier FTW.
PSN Tag: AmmoLord
XBL: xXAmmoLordXx

~Minister of Tinkering With Things That Go "BOOM!"(AKA Minister of Munitions)~
Bounty View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bounty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by ammolord ammolord wrote:

cavalier FTW.

YOUR CARS NOT THAT GREAT

Im sorry, I had to say it.
Shub View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I donít have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 7:47pm
I don't get the Cavalier hate...they aren't the best cars ever, but my first car was a Cavalier, and that thing great. Bulletproof reliability, good gas mileage, and since it was the Z-24, it had all the accessories, power windows, power locks, sunroof, remote keyless entry, etc.
Bounty View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bounty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by Shub Shub wrote:

I don't get the Cavalier hate...they aren't the best cars ever, but my first car was a Cavalier, and that thing great. Bulletproof reliability, good gas mileage, and since it was the Z-24, it had all the accessories, power windows, power locks, sunroof, remote keyless entry, etc.

I personally have never seen a good reliable cavalier. They look good but my buddy bought one and within a month the piston blew through the engine block. And as for the Z24, I just think they are very, very underpowered.
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 8:09pm
Just bought my first car today for $50 more than your timing belt would've cost.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic