FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I Got a New Toy!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I Got a New Toy!
    Posted: 28 June 2008 at 10:45pm
So, after stealing DeTrev's title, here I go.

I just bought myself one of these off ebay for a total of $113 shipped. Got it in black, lightly used. I'll post some real pics when it arrives.

Now, I've never played bass before. The guitar is something that I have always wanted to learn since I was little, and I'm finally doing it. I have extremely minimal expirience with regular guitars, just picking them up and fooling around really. I don't want to pay someone to teach me when there are endless resources on the interwebz to help teach me. Do any of you players know any good internet resources for bass?

Anyone who plays have any advice? (Panda, you play, right?)

Also, I'm going to need a bass amp after a few weeks of playing around. Any suggestions on something that isn't too expensive? At first, I will only need a basic amp quite obviously, but I want it to at least sound good for what it does. Also, any other equipment suggestions?

Any advice, suggestions, or comments you guys have is appreciated.
b1and View Drop Down
Guested 7/16 Flaming

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b1and Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2008 at 10:46pm
You just bought a bass for the hell of it?
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2008 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by b1and b1and wrote:

You just bought a bass for the hell of it?

Did you read the post?
b1and View Drop Down
Guested 7/16 Flaming

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b1and Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2008 at 10:52pm
Yeah.

Originally posted by Yomillio Yomillio wrote:

Now, I've never played bass before.

That, and how you aren't very familiar with guitars and are "finally learning guitar" which doesn't make since to me either, since you bought a bass.
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2008 at 10:52pm
Not as cool as a canesword.
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

Da Hui View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested, 9/13 Inappropiate post content

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Hui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2008 at 10:52pm
You should look for a Peevey Amp.
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2008 at 10:55pm

Yeah.
Originally posted by Yomillio Yomillio wrote:

Now, I've never played bass before.
That, and how you aren't very familiar with guitars and are "finally learning guitar" which doesn't make since to me either, since you bought a bass.

Bass guitar = guitar, to my satisfaction. Maybe not yours.

And whats wrong with not having prior expirience? I plan on learning. I didn't know you had to have prior expirience with a guitar to learn bass.
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Prettiest Princess in all the lands

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2008 at 11:13pm
Should be fun, plus Bass is way easier than Guitar. Not that I can play either anyway...
b1and View Drop Down
Guested 7/16 Flaming

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b1and Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2008 at 11:13pm
First let me correct myself: *sense

Second, I never said you should have guitar experience before bass.

And anyway, you're being confusing... Since, in your opinion, bass guitar is the same as guitar, you're throwing two different words around, and when you say you've never played bass, but you've fooled around with a guitar, according to you, you have indeed played bass before.

52 Degrees View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 Degrees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2008 at 3:21am

For beginners, I suggest getting a Korg Pandora.  It's a little box you plug your guitar in (or bass, get the one that does both, trust me) along with headphones and a cd player or Ipod or whatever, then you can play along with whatever you want, as loud as you want, and no-one can hear you.  Plus it has effects and a built in tuner.

I tried using mine as a mini effects rig but it's really noisy when run through any of my amps.  Once you get an amp, buy real effects.  I use a Line6 POD XT Live for nearly everything I do.  It's programmable with a computer and the Line6 website has lots of really cool patch downloads.  The new POD XT Live has 2 input channels, so you can actually use it to play through and sing at the same time with separate effects.  Mine is the older version.

Also, a lot of Line6 stuff is upgradable (for a fee) so you can get different sounds for it (more amp modeling and the like).  If you get the guitar rig, there's an upgrade for about $100 so you can have it be a bass POD too.  I like mine a lot as you can probably tell. 

DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2008 at 3:51am
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

Not as cool as a canesword.
It's true.
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

Styro Folme View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Rules 1 and 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styro Folme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2008 at 5:58am
Originally posted by BARREL BREAK BARREL BREAK wrote:

Should be fun, plus Bass is way easier than Guitar. Not that I can play either anyway...
Bass is easier to learn, but not by any standards easier.  I prefer to play guitar because you don't have to pay attention to which strings you are picking.  Just strum them all and mute the bad ones.
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2008 at 8:55am

First let me correct myself: *senseSecond, I never said you should have guitar experience before bass.And anyway, you're being confusing... Since, in your opinion, bass guitar is the same as guitar, you're throwing two different words around, and when you say you've never played bass, but you've fooled around with a guitar, according to you, you have indeed played bass before.

Meh, sorry. When I said bass guitar = guitar, I guess I meant that it applies to being a stringed instrument that I've always wanted to learn.

And, for most other instances, bass guitar = bass and guitar = guitar. Sorry about that, I understand that it wasn't very clear .
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2008 at 9:04am
Originally posted by 52 Degrees 52 Degrees wrote:

For beginners, I suggest getting a Korg Pandora.  It's a little box you plug your guitar in (or bass, get the one that does both, trust me) along with headphones and a cd player or Ipod or whatever, then you can play along with whatever you want, as loud as you want, and no-one can hear you.  Plus it has effects and a built in tuner.

I tried using mine as a mini effects rig but it's really noisy when run through any of my amps.  Once you get an amp, buy real effects.  I use a Line6 POD XT Live for nearly everything I do.  It's programmable with a computer and the Line6 website has lots of really cool patch downloads.  The new POD XT Live has 2 input channels, so you can actually use it to play through and sing at the same time with separate effects.  Mine is the older version.

Also, a lot of Line6 stuff is upgradable (for a fee) so you can get different sounds for it (more amp modeling and the like).  If you get the guitar rig, there's an upgrade for about $100 so you can have it be a bass POD too.  I like mine a lot as you can probably tell. 

Thanks for showing me the Pandora, thats definitly something I'm looking into. I wanted something like that, where I can plug in the guitar, my ipod, and headphones. However, I don't really need all of the effects. Is there another product out there without the huge amount of effects it has?
52 Degrees View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 Degrees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2008 at 11:07am

There was one called pocketrocket or something like that.  It's pretty stipped-down.

Look for it at musician's friend online.  Don't just Google it.  Trust me.

.357 Magnum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested and IP banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .357 Magnum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2008 at 11:31am
Kind of random.
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2008 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by 52 Degrees 52 Degrees wrote:

There was one called pocketrocket or something like that.  It's pretty stipped-down.

Look for it at musician's friend online.  Don't just Google it.  Trust me.

Haha, yeah. I get that.

But I'm probably buying a Peavey 10W practice amp that has an aux. input and headphone out so that'll work. I just bought a Korg tuner so thats all set as well.

I'm really excited to get this thing and start learning...
Ilford Rule View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ilford Rule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2008 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Styro Folme Styro Folme wrote:

Originally posted by BARREL BREAK BARREL BREAK wrote:

Bass is easier to learn, but not by any standards easier.  I prefer to play guitar because you don't have to pay attention to which strings you are picking.  Just strum them all and mute the bad ones.

Agree with Styro Folme.
CPro (w/ polished internals)
14" Bigshot
BT SBS
Various Rails
NcSTAR D4B
Macro
AA 68/45

CCI Phantom
45 Grips
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic