FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Marijuana Decriminalization Bill

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2008 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

I hope it stays illegal. It amuses me to watch regular tokers Cry about it.

fixed and agreed
Heres To You View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Cheated on Kelsey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heres To You Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2008 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by rockerdoode rockerdoode wrote:

Both my dad and aunt were recovered alcoholics, so any substance that can take an addictive form will. Thats why MJ should be legalized. It isn't addictive or habit forming. It can give addicts a way to cure pain without taking pharmaceuticals. 

While I don't think MJ has the physical addiction, the mental addiction can be just the same.  If the user feels that he/she needs MJ to ease the pain they will keep using (devils advocate)
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."
rockerdoode View Drop Down

one strike, flaming 7/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockerdoode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2008 at 5:02pm
While I do agree with that, I believe a physical addiction is much more prevalent than a mental addiction. Being mentally addicted to something...is for lack of better word, retarded.

I mean, not to sound like a Scientologist or anything, but I'm sure you know what I mean.
"According to Sue Johanson, theres nothing that can increase your manhood, trust me I've already looked into it for myself." -Zata
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2008 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by Heres To You Heres To You wrote:

Both my dad and aunt were recovered alcoholics, so any substance that can take an addictive form will. Thats why MJ should be legalized. It isn't addictive or habit forming. It can give addicts a way to cure pain without taking pharmaceuticals.
While I don't think MJ has the physical addiction, the mental addiction can be just the same. If the user feels that he/she needs MJ to ease the pain they will keep using (devils advocate)

To be fair I smoked almost daily a couple months ago. Now I do it once every 2 weeks, if that and I really couldn't care less. I don't even really think about it.
Mehs View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
An Hero

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mehs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2008 at 5:17pm

I do enjoy toking myself and do it many times per week personally...but saying it isn't addictive/habit forming is SO untrue. 
I can name 18 (not even an exaggeration, I am dead serious) different people that actually admit they are addicted to it, they smoke at least 5 times a day (usually by themselves) on a regular basis, and get irritable/angry if they don't get it, and it goes as far as they can not sleep unless they have it. 
Half of these people are some of the most unreliable people I have ever met in my entire life, they can not remember anything, pretty much you can say they do not have all of their ducks in a row.  
They all started off saying the same things you do, "it's not habit forming, it's not addictive", but they are pretty far into the habit enough to admit it.

[IMG]http://i27.tinypic.com/1538fbc.jpg">
Squeeze Box
blackdog144 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackdog144 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2008 at 5:20pm
i think all harmful drugs such as marijuana should stay illegal.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2008 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by blackdog144 blackdog144 wrote:

Please state specifically how it's harmful.

*edit*
Also, do you then think that acetaminophen should be outlawed then, since it can be harmful?

Edited by choopie911 - 22 June 2008 at 5:23pm
TheWrAith View Drop Down
Strike one, swearing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheWrAith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2008 at 5:27pm
 Would be nice...
Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2008 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

*edit*
Also, do you then think that acetaminophen should be outlawed then, since it can be harmful?
Good point. The FDA considers any drug to be a dangerous drug.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2008 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Benjichang Benjichang wrote:

*edit*
Good point. The FDA considers any drug to be a dangerous drug.

Even caffeine has its downsides. Heck look at tobacco's pros/ cons list. Legality is hardly an indicator of if something is bad for you or not.
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2008 at 5:45pm
While I'm not going to add to whether or not it should be legalized, the reason it was made illegal in the first place, was to strengthen the US economy through tobacco, instead of the importation of the already strong opium and marijuana markets coming from Asia.

As far as if it should be legalized or not... I can't say. I don't smoke, and my state's economy relies greatly on the tobacco industry, so who knows.  I'm not an economists, and it doesn't really affect me directly, so it's not my place to take a stand on it.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2008 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

While I'm not going to add to whether or not it should be legalized, the reason it was made illegal in the first place, was to strengthen the US economy through tobacco, instead of the importation of the already strong opium and marijuana markets coming from Asia.As far as if it should be legalized or not... I can't say. I don't smoke, and my state's economy relies greatly on the tobacco industry, so who knows. I'm not an economists, and it doesn't really affect me directly, so it's not my place to take a stand on it.

Also, racism was a big player in the decision. Some quotes from anslinger, the man who made marijuana illegal:

"Reefer makes darkies think they're as good as white men."

"There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos, and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz, and swing, result from marijuana use. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers, and any others."

"...the primary reason to outlaw marijuana is its effect on the degenerate races."

"Marihuana leads to pacifism and communist brainwashing"

"You smoke a joint and you're likely to kill your brother."

"Marijuana is the most violence-causing drug in the history of mankind."
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2008 at 5:51pm

That are addictive and habit forming.

As is marijuana to some people...

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2008 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by Linus Linus wrote:

Which would make it a moot point, not a point against. And it's not a physical addiction.

one strike, flaming 7/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockerdoode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2008 at 6:02pm

Originally posted by Linus Linus wrote:

Which would make it a moot point, not a point against. And it's not a physical addiction.

Not only that, but if you choose to deem MJ as a dangerous and addictive (both mentally and physically) then you must also think alcohol is a dangerous substance that shouldn't be legal.

We put harmful things into our bodies every day. The cigs we smoke, the pasteurized milk we drink, the vitamin loaded meat we eat, the alcohol we drink. If you can honestly stand there and say you've never ingested alcohol, non-organic milk or meat, or breathed in cigarette smoke, then I think you have a valid platform to stand on and say "yeah, marijuana is bad". But seeing as we're all guilty of harming our bodies in some way, some of you don't have room to preach and say it's illegal because it's harmful to our bodies. Thats a complete load of tripe.
"According to Sue Johanson, theres nothing that can increase your manhood, trust me I've already looked into it for myself." -Zata
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2008 at 6:04pm
Yeah, I've come to terms with the fact that alcohol is terribly bad for me, but I'm ok with that.

one strike, flaming 7/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockerdoode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2008 at 6:09pm
Same. I realize it effs me up. But I still do it. So...you know.

I do believe alcohol is worse for your body than marijuana. We could always slam that one down their throat.
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2008 at 6:15pm
Some day..
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2008 at 6:18pm

Same. I realize it effs me up. But I still do it. So...you know.

I do believe alcohol is worse for your body than marijuana. We could always slam that one down their throat.

It's worse for the liver, but at the same time(in moderation) can be beneficial; Ie 1-2 servings of red wine help the heart/cholesterol.  While mj may be good for pain relief, to say that alcohol is "worse" for your body is wrong.  Both in over-use will render the person unconcious, though alcohol CAN be worse.  Still, you have to drink insane amounts of alcohol for that to happen, so you don't exactly have enough to "slam down their throat."
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2008 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

Same. I realize it effs me up. But I still do it. So...you know.I do believe alcohol is worse for your body than marijuana. We could always slam that one down their throat.
It's worse for the liver, but at the same time(in moderation) can be beneficial; Ie 1-2 servings of red wine help the heart/cholesterol. While mj may be good for pain relief, to say that alcohol is "worse" for your body is wrong. Both in over-use will render the person unconcious, though alcohol CAN be worse. Still, you have to drink insane amounts of alcohol for that to happen, so you don't exactly have enough to "slam down their throat."

Sorry, but alcohol IS far worse for you, thats a known fact. There are 75,000 or so alcohol related deaths in the US alone every year.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic