Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pro Carbine..... Barrel...... 16 or 20???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Zeus99es View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeus99es Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pro Carbine..... Barrel...... 16 or 20???
    Posted: 19 June 2008 at 9:40am

Hey guys. Ive had my procarbine for about 9 years now.  I am playing in a tourney soon.  my question is this.

Should I go with a 16in or a 20in barrel? 

im more of a long range/sniper kind of guy . and being 6'4 i make a big target so accuracy is Key.

So based on your expert advice :)  which is the best bet??  im not so worried about length of the gun ya know?  but if the 20in barrel will actually decrease gun perfromance ill just get a 16in.

also anyone know of any other basic boltin mods i could do? im looking for a better bolt specifically or an expansion chamber.

would an A-5 or Prolite or 98  bolt fit the carbine?

thanks in advance.

ThatGuitarGuy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Square Slot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGuitarGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2008 at 10:54am
A 20" barrel isn't going to give you any advantage a 16 or even 14" barrel would, after that it's just added length, and mainly for appearance.

Also, much like there's no crying in baseball, there's no snipers in paintball.
Skillet:     I've never been terribly fond of the look of a vagina
Zeus99es View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeus99es Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2008 at 12:30pm

Awesome thanks for the info Man I appreciate it.  I didnt know if the 20 would actually add distance/accurracy.  if all it is for is looks and adds a bit more of a pain in the ass then ill def go 16.

anyone else have comments   16  or 20?

are there any other decent mods I should look into?

FYI in woodsball there is def room for "snipers" only they arent called snipers... more like midfield backup.

ammolord View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammolord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2008 at 12:33pm
id go 14 or 16. 20 is just to long.
PSN Tag: AmmoLord
XBL: xXAmmoLordXx

~Minister of Tinkering With Things That Go "BOOM!"(AKA Minister of Munitions)~
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2008 at 1:03pm
Heck, I'd go 12" to 14" max.  For more information on barrel lengths I recommend reading sections 5.1 and 5.2 of this post.
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2008 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by Zeus99es Zeus99es wrote:

FYI in woodsball there is def room for "snipers" only they arent called snipers... more like midfield backup.

No. There is no room for snipers in paintball. Period.

A sniper must engage targets from beyond the effective range of return fire this can not be done in paintball. Sorry to disappoint.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2008 at 2:40pm

Wow, I can't believe I missed that line.  Personally, I prefer my supporting fire to have large hoppers and huge air tanks attached to high rate-of-fire markers capable of laying out ropes of paint wielded by people who will lay on the trigger excessively without hesitation.  I do not like my supporting fire to be provided by people who hide in the back with small capacity hoppers on pump markers waiting/hoping for the perfect one-shot-one-kill elimination that is unlikely to occur except at fairly close range in paintball.
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2008 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

Wow, I can't believe I missed that line.  Personally, I prefer my supporting fire to have large hoppers and huge air tanks attached to high rate-of-fire markers capable of laying out ropes of paint wielded by people who will lay on the trigger excessively without hesitation.  I do not like my supporting fire to be provided by people who hide in the back with small capacity hoppers on pump markers waiting/hoping for the perfect one-shot-one-kill elimination that is unlikely to occur except at fairly close range in paintball.

I completely agree.
Stopwatch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stopwatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2008 at 7:12pm
14 inches, thats what you should get for accuracy
Ace_Of_Spades View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested, Doesnt follow Rules. 9/10/08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace_Of_Spades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2008 at 11:11pm
OH NOEZ HE SAID 5N1P3R!!! and fully agree with Mack..........word of advice, if you wanna be in the backfield, get a flatliner 98 or something, pump+faraway=EPIC fail

Edited by Ace_Of_Spades - 19 June 2008 at 11:12pm
Kiittyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiittyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2008 at 4:18pm

Alright, the paintball sniper has been an issue since longer barrels were invented. I myself am a "sniper" for my team. That doesn't mean I sit there on a tower, and take long range shots at people. You're not ging to do this unless you have a Longbow. I actually play the role of "ghost flanker"

[Screw the article, not worth the hate.]

Any barrel over 14 inches won't improve acuracy. They may decrease range and efficiency though.

Edited by Kiittyy - 21 June 2008 at 5:49pm
GT Army.
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2008 at 5:09pm
You are kidding me, right?

You are going to link us to some specops propaganda and then you expect not to get flamed?

News Flash: The only reason why specops puts out that load of BS is so that you  but the products they are pushing. Period. They could care less about paintball in general as long as they make money.

Now scurry back to specops troll.
b1and View Drop Down
Guested 7/16 Flaming

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b1and Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2008 at 5:16pm
kiittyy, you are a pathetic moron who has no idea what they're talking about. The world would be a better place if you ended your life immediately, preferably in a slow and very painful manner as to emulate the same suffering you have brought anyone you have come into contact with.
Kiittyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiittyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2008 at 5:47pm

Truth is, I don't have any specops **edited**. I only use "ghost flanker" for lack of a better term.

I don't totally agree with the term "sniper". I just like the the position. 

And Bland, don't flame without explaination.

GT Army.
Nagash1959 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nagash1959 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2008 at 9:38pm

Get the 80' barrel from Trigun. It will allow you to fire over 14 miles if your scope is zoomed in correctly when you press X.     (total number of gamer references in that sentence...4)

98 Custom
Cyclone
Double E-Trigger
Polished Internals
Freak kit
X-chamber
CP Drop w/On/Off
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2008 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by Kiittyy Kiittyy wrote:

Alright, the paintball sniper has been an issue since longer barrels were invented.

True.

I myself am a "sniper" for my team.

Doubtful, unless you are redefining the normally accepted meaning of "sniper."

That doesn't mean I sit there on a tower, and take long range shots at people.

So you don't take long range shots . . . which is the primary connotation of the word "sniper."

You're not ging to do this unless you have a Longbow.

Why pray tell is the possession of a Longbow so vital to this?

I actually play the role of "ghost flanker"

Then, by the very descriptions that Spec-Ops uses, you are not a sniper.  You are a flanking element that is used to engage opposition units once their location has been fixed by the initial engagement element.  There is nothing about this that meets the common understanding of the term "sniper."

[Screw the article, not worth the hate.]

I got here to late to know what article was linked, but please note the complete absence of "hate" in this post.

Any barrel over 14 inches won't improve acuracy. They may decrease range and efficiency though.

True.

Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2008 at 10:33pm
He posted one od those specops "tutorials" on how to be a sniper.
b1and View Drop Down
Guested 7/16 Flaming

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b1and Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2008 at 9:23am

And Bland, don't flame without explaination.

Go back to SpecOps if you believe in the promoting of products using made-up and untrue facts about them.
Kiittyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiittyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2008 at 11:02am

I'm not promotin their products. They're all **edited**. I don't have any of them.

And that's why I used " " when I said sniper.

Fine then, I take it back. I'm no sniper, I'm a flanker.

C'est bon, tout ca?

Edit:

And nevermind the Longbow. It's not worth the flaming. I never realised you guys hated specops so much.

Edited by Kiittyy - 22 June 2008 at 11:03am
GT Army.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2008 at 11:48am

I'm not promotin their products. They're all **edited**. I don't have any of them.

Then why would you make a statement that makes it seem having a Longbow is so vital to successful paintball participation.

And that's why I used " " when I said sniper.

Using a term with a certain accepted meaning in a manner which indicates you're not using the accepted meaning seems a little unnecessarily confusing doesn't it?  After all, if you're not using the accepted meaning how is anyone else supposed to know what you mean.

Fine then, I take it back. I'm no sniper, I'm a flanker.

Probably a lot more accurate given the style of play you seem to prefer.

C'est bon, tout ca?

Edit:

And nevermind the Longbow. It's not worth the flaming. I never realised you guys hated specops so much.

It's not about hating Spec-Ops, it's about expecting people to support/back-up their statements when they make them.  (Apparently, in this case, you can't.)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic