FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

This is the best sign ever made!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2008 at 12:26am
Magnum, why not?

A good portion of our country was originally mexican/spanish territory
Que pasa?

rockerdoode View Drop Down

one strike, flaming 7/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockerdoode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2008 at 12:27am
Originally posted by .357 Magnum .357 Magnum wrote:

Blah blah blah i'm ignorant to a culturally diverse society blah blah blah

Good call, man.
"According to Sue Johanson, theres nothing that can increase your manhood, trust me I've already looked into it for myself." -Zata
.357 Magnum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested and IP banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .357 Magnum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2008 at 12:29am
Because the majority is now English, the past doesn't matter. Why re-train people a language when we could just update a smaller group to fit with the rest. Like I said, I have nothing against Spanish speaking households ect. We have some family friends who are from Canada and speak French in the house. Nothing against it.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2008 at 12:29am
Originally posted by Dune Dune wrote:

Do you live on the border? Because it's almost feasibly impossible for a business to want to succeed with workers that do not speak any English whatsoever. That would be incredibly bad business that would, as Akhmad said, reduce their efficiency and put them out of business.

What if the store owner speaks the other language better than english themselves? Theres no way the interview would be conducted in english if that's the case.

Also, come to Vancouver, you'll find plenty of stores where they only speak japanese, cantonese or mandarin. I've only had to deal with it once or twice, but I asked how much something was and they had no idea what I was talking about and started digging for cigarettes behind the counter and pointing to different kinds....
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2008 at 12:32am

Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Originally posted by Dune Dune wrote:

Do you live on the border? Because it's almost feasibly impossible for a business to want to succeed with workers that do not speak any English whatsoever. That would be incredibly bad business that would, as Akhmad said, reduce their efficiency and put them out of business.

What if the store owner speaks the other language better than english themselves? Theres no way the interview would be conducted in english if that's the case.

Also, come to Vancouver, you'll find plenty of stores where they only speak japanese, cantonese or mandarin. I've only had to deal with it once or twice, but I asked how much something was and they had no idea what I was talking about and started digging for cigarettes behind the counter and pointing to different kinds....

Then the store owner is obviously catering to a specific crowd. If they believe their business will benefit, then it is their choice. In no way does knowing another language, or even just a different language in this country have to be a bad thing. 

one strike, flaming 7/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockerdoode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2008 at 12:33am
I can't remember where I heard it, but I believe theres a proof out there that within the next few years white will be the minority at the current rate of immigration to the United States.

So go ahead and keep saying that, but I'm going to be more than comfortable with my 5 years of spanish under my belt. Have fun being a minority with no knowledge of the language of the country you live in.

Conservative.
"According to Sue Johanson, theres nothing that can increase your manhood, trust me I've already looked into it for myself." -Zata
ANARCHY_SCOUT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
strike 1 1/24 rudeness to newer members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ANARCHY_SCOUT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2008 at 12:34am
It's a shame that a second or third language isn't mandatory. Students all around the world speak multiple languages, and in the U.S.A. in a lot of schools its not  even required to take a language at all.

Always choose the path to expand your mind why be an ignorant fool and just say "I'm done learning, why communicate with other people?".

Gamertag: Kataklysm999
ammolord View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammolord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2008 at 12:45am
i know some spanish, not enough to make sence. 
PSN Tag: AmmoLord
XBL: xXAmmoLordXx

~Minister of Tinkering With Things That Go "BOOM!"(AKA Minister of Munitions)~

one strike, flaming 7/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockerdoode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2008 at 12:53am
Apparently you don't know enough English to make sense, either.
ammolord View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammolord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2008 at 12:54am
dont start on that again.
PSN Tag: AmmoLord
XBL: xXAmmoLordXx

~Minister of Tinkering With Things That Go "BOOM!"(AKA Minister of Munitions)~
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2008 at 1:09am
Originally posted by ANARCHY_SCOUT ANARCHY_SCOUT wrote:

It's a shame that a second or third language isn't mandatory. Students all around the world speak multiple languages, and in the U.S.A. in a lot of schools its not even required to take a language at all. Always choose the path to expand your mind why be an ignorant fool and just say "I'm done learning, why communicate with other people?".

Sadly I'd say a lot of students today can hardly speak english, let alone a second language. Theres far too much to fix in the education system before you can just start introducing things like that.
impulse! View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested - Repeat Offender

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2008 at 1:14am
I live in Phoenix. So my experience>everyone (except so cal).

I walked into a Mcdonalds in a rougher area. They asked what I wanted to order in spanish. It blew my mind. I walked out, and went to Carls JR.

ASK ME IN ENGLISH FIRST, THEN IF DON'T UNDERSTAND THEN ASK ME IN SPANISH!

Another time I walked into a gas station. I asked for a philly and they guy put his finger up. Telling me to wait. He was talking on his personal cell phone, in spanish. Making me stand there for a minute. That was just plain bad customer service, and the language was the cherry.

Or how I go to my bank in a "rough" area, and all the deposit forms and in spanish. At least set out a few English ones for the English speaking minorities in that area.......

I could go on and on. I love when that had those parades also. What a great time to round them all up.

We need to start and area of town called mexico town, or little mexico.
Heres To You View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Cheated on Kelsey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heres To You Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2008 at 3:34am
Try being white and military in hawaii, then claim racism...

I have on problem with immigrants working, but if they can't speak english don't put them in a job that requires conversing.   I hate when I can't get my order in at mcdonalds but I see two girls just chatting it up in the back... (no racist)
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2008 at 4:37am
Here's a thought: What if English was the nationalized language? Would it be so bad? I think a common language would help with a lot of the social problems we have today.
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2008 at 7:50am
I have no problem with people wanting to retain their language for cultural purposes.

But, that being said, when you live and work in an area where the populace speaks English, you, in the customer service industry should be able to communicate with them.

If you want to speak Spanish to your family and to other spanish speaking people, cool. Its your right to do that. But when I want to order a cup of coffee and a bagel, you'd damn well better be able to talk and understand me, or yes, I will drive to another store, even if it is two minutes down the road.

No, that's not racism, and you're a fool to think it is. It's annoyance that in order to be 'culturally sensitive' I need to suffer the inconvenience of not being able to understand the dude taking my order.

And yes, I also worked (in upstate NY) with a guy who was hired who could not speak a word of English. In fact, part of the reason I was hired was because I was taking HS spanish. He could not speak, nor was he making an effort to learn English, and that, is wrong.

Brianwawrz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brianwawrz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2008 at 8:24am
Originally posted by DeTrevni DeTrevni wrote:

Here's a thought: What if English was the nationalized
language? Would it be so bad? I think a common language would help
with a lot of the social problems we have today.

Exactly right
"Miracle Whip, the Mayonnaise of Communists"
XBL: Brianwawrz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2008 at 8:25am
Originally posted by Heres To You Heres To You wrote:

Try being white and military in hawaii, then claim racism...I have on problem with immigrants working, but if they can't speak english don't put them in a job that requires conversing.   I hate when I can't get my order in at mcdonalds but I see two girls just chatting it up in the back... (no racist)

I'm not the only one who thinks Hawaii shouldn't be America, am I?
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
2010 Worst Luck award winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2008 at 8:41am

Here's a thought: What if English was the nationalized language? Would it be so bad? I think a common language would help with a lot of the social problems we have today.

You will never, ever see a nationalized language in the U.S. Individual rights organizations will scream 'RACISM' at the top of their lungs, the people themselves won't comply, and you'll get the claims that it would be squelching the individual freedoms of the people who come here. The ACLU would blow blood vessels. It just won't happen.

Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2008 at 8:41am

What is so difficult about learning a few extra 1000 words to be able to communicate with others around you?

I find it sad that people are willing to learn, nearly instantaneously, new, technology related words that have existed for very short time but are unwilling to learn words that have been around in different cultures for many many generations.

Unless someone lives in YOUR home or in a business YOU own, who cares what they speak?

Edited by Hades - 18 June 2008 at 8:43am

Hades View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2008 at 8:46am
Originally posted by Brianwawrz Brianwawrz wrote:

Here's a thought: What if English was the nationalized
language? Would it be so bad? I think a common language would help
with a lot of the social problems we have today.

Exactly right

What does that solve? Even if English was declared the a national language, that doesn't prevent someone from using another language.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
  Share Topic