FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

This is the best sign ever made!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 11:17pm

I hate the myth that people working in customer service businesses "do not speak a word of English." There is likely no way that someone could get a job without somehow speaking English in the interview or the application process. Furthermore, what employer doesn't meet with a person before they are hired? Do they speak another language better? Probably. But the impatience of people and the broad generalizations people make about immigration produce uttler ridiculous billboards like that. I would be humiliated if I worked there to have that outside.

jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 11:18pm
Dune, in my area you are wrong.
Que pasa?

Ace_Of_Spades View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested, Doesnt follow Rules. 9/10/08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace_Of_Spades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 11:21pm

Originally posted by Skillet42565 Skillet42565 wrote:

The south is the only racist place ever.

i resent that, i live in texas, granted the illegals dont speak english...they built my house...dam good job too!

even though ilegals are screwing with the taxes and welfare, if we didnt hvae them building our houses and doing all the manual labor for (in some cases) WAY below minimum wage, we would hvae higher costs all around, especially the housing market

Akhmed View Drop Down

(Akhmed is not his real name)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akhmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 11:21pm

Originally posted by jmac3 jmac3 wrote:

Well, then I guess you could drive an extra two minutes and buy your donuts from an English-speaking store.

If enough people feel the way you do, the not-English speaking store will quickly go out of business.  Problem solved.

Edited by Akhmed - 17 June 2008 at 11:22pm
"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience. "
Most awesome site EVAR!
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by Akhmed Akhmed wrote:

Originally posted by jmac3 jmac3 wrote:

Well, then I guess you could drive an extra two minutes and buy your donuts from an English-speaking store.

If enough people feel the way you do, the not-English speaking store will quickly go out of business.  Problem solved.

No I don't care where I buy them...I was just telling Dune that in my area people in service jobs really don't speak english.
Que pasa?

Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 11:30pm
Do you live on the border? Because it's almost feasibly impossible for a business to want to succeed with workers that do not speak any English whatsoever. That would be incredibly bad business that would, as Akhmad said, reduce their efficiency and put them out of business.
Gator Taco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gator Taco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by Dune Dune wrote:

I hate the myth that people working in customer service businesses "do not speak a word of English." There is likely no way that someone could get a job without somehow speaking English in the interview or the application process. Furthermore, what employer doesn't meet with a person before they are hired? Do they speak another language better? Probably. But the impatience of people and the broad generalizations people make about immigration produce uttler ridiculous billboards like that. I would be humiliated if I worked there to have that outside.

Oh really? Is that why every labor crew (landscaping, construction, ect.) I know of has tons of employees who only Speak Spanish or severely broken English?
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 11:32pm

Do you live on the border? Because it's almost feasibly impossible for a business to want to succeed with workers that do not speak any English whatsoever. That would be incredibly bad business that would, as Akhmad said, reduce their efficiency and put them out of business.

I live in mass. Nowhere near a border that isn't sea.

I work with someone who can speak it but not fluently at all. She got her job with her daughter at the interview.

Everywhere I go is like the same
Que pasa?

Gatyr View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Strike 1 - Begging for strikes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by Gator Taco Gator Taco wrote:

Oh really? Is that why every labor crew (landscaping, construction, ect.) I know of has tons of employees who only Speak Spanish or severely broken English?

That doesn't exactly fall under the service industry category in the same way Dune meant it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gator Taco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by Gatyr Gatyr wrote:

That doesn't exactly fall under the service industry category in the same way Dune meant it.

A lot of Restaurants around here are the same way.

I feel like pointing out, I have nothing against Spanish speaking people. They need jobs just like the rest of us do.
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 11:42pm

Originally posted by Gatyr Gatyr wrote:

Well I'm glad someone can read my entire post. Maybe what our educational system needs to do is keep up pace with the rest of the world. I'm not saying we should accommodate fully, but could it hurt to teach our children a second language from when they first start school? My fiance speaks spanish and I am very intent on having her teach our children starting very young. I would also like to have them learn (and I'd like to learn with them) a language such as Japanese or Cantonese.

ammolord View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammolord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 11:42pm
for the record, when i lived in new mexico (alamogordo), many places had pepole who dident speak english.
PSN Tag: AmmoLord
XBL: xXAmmoLordXx

~Minister of Tinkering With Things That Go "BOOM!"(AKA Minister of Munitions)~

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gator Taco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 11:48pm

Maybe what our educational system needs to do is keep up pace with the rest of the world. I'm not saying we should accommodate fully, but could it hurt to teach our children a second language from when they first start school? My fiance speaks spanish and I am very intent on having her teach our children starting very young. I would also like to have them learn (and I'd like to learn with them) a language such as Japanese or Cantonese.

I couldn't agree more. We should be offered a second language at the earlier stages of education.
ammolord View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammolord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 11:51pm

Maybe what our educational system needs to do is keep up pace with the rest of the world. I'm not saying we should accommodate fully, but could it hurt to teach our children a second language from when they first start school? My fiance speaks spanish and I am very intent on having her teach our children starting very young. I would also like to have them learn (and I'd like to learn with them) a language such as Japanese or Cantonese.

I couldn't agree more. We should be offered a second language at the earlier stages of education.
ya, i agree. but you get those parents (you know wich ones im talking about). they wouldent let it fly.

PSN Tag: AmmoLord
XBL: xXAmmoLordXx

~Minister of Tinkering With Things That Go "BOOM!"(AKA Minister of Munitions)~
BeepBoop View Drop Down

Trolls go bye-bye.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeepBoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 11:51pm
lol

Racism is funny you guys!
rockerdoode View Drop Down

one strike, flaming 7/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockerdoode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 11:52pm
I do believe a second language is crucial to success in a culturally changing society, however, I think the road goes both ways on this one. Immigrants shouldn't come to America unless they plan on being a contributory member of society. I believe one of the requirements of being such is the ability to speak English.
"According to Sue Johanson, theres nothing that can increase your manhood, trust me I've already looked into it for myself." -Zata
.357 Magnum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested and IP banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .357 Magnum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 11:56pm
Lmao @ the sign.

But the staff should speak English. This is America, the main language is English. Learn to speak it or leave.
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
<placeholder>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 11:57pm

Originally posted by .357 Magnum .357 Magnum wrote:

Lmao @ the sign.

But the staff should speak English. This is America, the main language is English. Learn to speak it or leave.

It must be pretty boring living inside your bubble.

rockerdoode View Drop Down

one strike, flaming 7/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockerdoode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 11:58pm

Originally posted by .357 Magnum .357 Magnum wrote:

Lmao @ the sign.

It must be pretty boring living inside your bubble.

I'm really sad you beat me to this, but I imagine it would be, also.

/agreed
"According to Sue Johanson, theres nothing that can increase your manhood, trust me I've already looked into it for myself." -Zata
.357 Magnum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested and IP banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .357 Magnum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2008 at 12:24am
I'm sorry but Immigrants aren't an issue here. But when I go out west and what not and people don't speak English it pisses me off. I live in the middle of nowhere though so it's not really an issue here.

Call me conservative or whatever but I say speak English, it's America. Kids should be taught to speak English not Spanish. We shouldn't have to be able to speak Spanish to communicate with other Americans.

Now, if you wish to know how to speak Spanish, or to speak Spanish in the home that great, but when you're in public/working speak English for god's sake.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
  Share Topic