Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fighting a Speeding Ticket...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Zata View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fighting a Speeding Ticket...
    Posted: 17 June 2008 at 1:04am
He tells me he had me going 65mph in a 45.  I didn't question him or give him any attitude.  After he leaves, I look over the ticket and notice that it says "paced at 65+".  Now it makes sense as to why my fuzz buster didn't go off (yeah I don't think him seeing that helped me)

I really don't believe I was doing 65+.  I was on my way to work and I was going in early for the hell of it.  I had no reason to speed.  I was probably doing around 50 at the most like I typically do on that street.  So was I speeding?  Yeah but certainly not 65+.

I would think that if any car had been following me that closely, for the length of time that is probably required for pacing, that I would have noticed them in my mirror.  I think its possible that at the point he caught up to me, he was doing 65, but I was not and as he started to slow down, I slowed down also, but to turn into work.  It probably looked like I saw him and hit the breaks.

So I'm looking for help, tips, and any opinions you guys have as to my situation.  I plan to talk it over with a few people and try to figure out if I should bother fighting it.  I know about the calibration thing, but he was driving one of the newer Chargers, so that probably won't help me.

I think things that would hurt me in court are:
-My age, 20
-My car, a Red Firebird with loud exhaust
-A 5mph over ticket last fall from the same guy
-My fuzz buster if he remembers it and mentions it in court

The fine is $80, no big deal, but obviously I'd rather lose the points.  I'd like to see about paying the fine and taking a driving class or whatever to get my points dropped.  This cop is known for pulling people over a lot, so I'm not sure if that would mean if he will or won't show up in court.

Also, I he never had me sign anything.  I'm sure the laws are different in each state/county/whatever, but does anyone know if that means anything?  I live in Michigan.
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 1:08am
It's only $80 and you want to fight it? you lucked out.

Also ticket from the same guy you suck....

Don't fight it, you won't win unless no cop shows up.
Que pasa?

Zata View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 1:09am
Originally posted by jmac3 jmac3 wrote:

It's only $80 and you want to fight it?

I don't care about the fine, I care about the points for insurance.
xXK1CK1NVV1NGXx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 2, 7/17 - quote offensive post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xXK1CK1NVV1NGXx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 1:10am
I agree with jmac, your chances of winning are slim to none.
<Sig violation, Section 1>
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 1:17am
Worth a shot, whats the worst that happens? You lose and you're where you started...
jmac3 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 1:19am
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Worth a shot, whats the worst that happens? You lose and you're where you started...

+what the court charges you to do it.

Here it's at least $20 to fight it.
Que pasa?

Zata View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 1:20am
Originally posted by jmac3 jmac3 wrote:

+what the court charges you to do it.

Here it's at least $20 to fight it.

That's what I need to find out.
pntbl freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Wanna do something about it? Well do ya?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pntbl freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 7:35am
You're insurance shouldnt go up.  The only time it will go up is if you reapply for insurance. Then they will see you have had a ticket causing the cost to go up.
techietaichi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Proud American

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techietaichi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 8:07am

Exactly. I got a ticket that everyone said I couldn't beat, but yeah, I beat that rap! Fight the power man. Even if it doesn't go your way, at least you tried.
t_hop View Drop Down
Streike 1, 5/16 filter dodge/inapp. link

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_hop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 8:37am

I would fight it. My brother has numerous run ins with speeding tickets, the first time he went to traffic school. At the school he said that the officer told him and the rest of the 16-19 age teenagers to always challenge the radar detector reading. By doing this you are denying that you were going the speed they gave you the ticket for; the reason this supposedly works is because in order for an officer to log the speed on the gun they have to do about 1.5 hours of paper work everytime so none of them do it. that might work, maybe worth a shot?

his last two tickets he has gotten in a two month span and because he is pursuing a piloting career he cannot afford to have these tickets so we got a lawyer. The lawyer has gotten the first ticket removed and he is going to a driving school instead, the second court date hasn't come up yet but we are expecting the same. not sure what its costing us for him, prolly more than 80 bucks, but its worth it cuz he's really into flying. give it a shot, don't let a bad cop push people around.

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 9:32am

^^ I find it hard to beleive that an officer was telling kids in driving school to challenge tickets written by his fellow officers. He is either the worlds worst cop or someone is stretching the truth a bit. 

Sounds like your brother needs to slow his arse down if not getting tickets is that important to him.

Regarding Zata, if the court costs aren't that high, it doesn't hurt to try and fight it, but you will most likely lose. My opinion of tickets is that I usually deserve them for the other 1000 times I wasn't caught speeding.

Edited by oldpbnoob - 17 June 2008 at 9:33am
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Zata View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 9:36am
Thanks guys.

My situation is a little bit different and new to me since I was paced, and he didn't use a radar.  I've been trying to find info online about pacing, but there isn't much.
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 9:39am
According to my dad, who has been a cop for something like 15 years or so, maybe a couple more idk;  If a police officer is actually certified with the radar gun, he does not even need to have the printed report or whatever from the gun, and his testimony alone is considered admissable in court. I imagine "pacing" did not mean he met your speed, so much as he judged your speed compared to the pace of those around you.

If he's actually certified, you can't beat it.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Snake6. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 9:56am
I have never heard of someone beating a ticket when the cop actually shows up for court. A cops word will always be held higher than your own. Its a he said, she said thing and you have no hard proof tht you wern't doing the speed he said you were doing. You are pretty boned.

Paintball Chat
I'm at work, Leave me alone!!!
Zata View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 9:58am
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

imagine "pacing" did not mean he met your speed, so much as he judged your speed compared to the pace of those around you.

Well I don't think there was anyone near me.  So whether he judged me from a distance, or he actually did follow me, I think these extra points really suck based on an estimate.  I'll take them if its a radar though.

I really wish I would have realized what he did so I could have ask him, but I had originally thought he used radar and I was really confused why my fuzz buster didn't go off.
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 10:06am
Fight it

From what I learned in driving school:

Most cops have one day every little while that they use to go to court on. If your date does not fall on theirs, they will not show up and you will win.
<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 10:26am
Originally posted by Zata Zata wrote:

imagine "pacing" did not mean he met your speed, so much as he judged your speed compared to the pace of those around you.

Well I don't think there was anyone near me.  So whether he judged me from a distance, or he actually did follow me, I think these extra points really suck based on an estimate.  I'll take them if its a radar though.

I really wish I would have realized what he did so I could have ask him, but I had originally thought he used radar and I was really confused why my fuzz buster didn't go off.

Even then, if he's certified, a "I watched him from point A to point B" will be enough for a judge.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Zata View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 10:32am

Originally posted by Zata Zata wrote:

Even then, if he's certified, a "I watched him from point A to point B" will be enough for a judge.

Well like some of the other guys said, it wouldn't hurt much to at least try.  I"ll probably fight it if its only $20-$30.  My cousin has fought one in the same court so I'll see what he knows.

I've met one of the area judges, he knows my dad, so maybe if I get him in court, plus my charm and respectfulness, I could get a break.
oreomann33 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Can you say ... ZAZZy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oreomann33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 10:32am
20 mph over the speed limit is reckless driving in my state. I would just pay it.
techietaichi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Proud American

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techietaichi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 10:58am
I don't know if this is true or not, but I heard once that the fuzz have to pace you for 2 miles before they pull you over. Were there other cars beside you when you were stopped? Do you go straight to the judge for a hearing or see a magistrate before the judge? Magistrates can be your friend. They're mine.

Edited by techietaichi - 17 June 2008 at 10:59am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic