Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

mac vs pc

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Brianwawrz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brianwawrz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 8:05pm
No. Macs don't get viruses, cause they're awesome. PC's get viruses,
cause they are terrible.

Edited by Brianwawrz - 14 June 2008 at 8:05pm
"Miracle Whip, the Mayonnaise of Communists"
XBL: Brianwawrz
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Not at all the case with the people I know. My most specific example is my friend Kevin, who has been programming, and doing graphic design since grade 7 or so. He knows the entire adobe suite inside and out, and runs circles around most others in our programming classes, and he now uses his mac laptop more than his faster pc desktop.

Which goes back to some people who just prefer the interface and personal preference. He might find that he doesn't always need the power of his desktop or the apple operating system works easier for him for many tasks. Some users might find otherwise depending on their nature and what they use their computer for.

For a while even I was considering picking up a Macbook Pro for college before I started using a friend's and realized it just didn't work for me and I could find a cheaper windows based laptop that would suit me better.
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by Brianwawrz Brianwawrz wrote:

cause they are terrible.

My god, I never thought of it this way! It covers all the different aspects of computing preferences. Darur did you see this?!
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by carl_the_sniper carl_the_sniper wrote:

Curious though, couldn't a virus specifically built for attacking macs running boot camp install itself in a way that it would affect the mac os? I know that there are viruses for mac now.

A virus can always be made for a Mac, most people prefer not to make them however.  I would suspect its a mix of low user numbers, which would make making such a virus less profitable (in general, most virus writers these days do so for money, not sick fun).  In the past very few people used Macs as well, and when viruses were made for fun you wanted everyone to see your work so you wouldn't target such a low user base.  My other guess as to why you don't see many Mac-based viruses is self preservation.  Most people who write these viruses do so in Linux or Unix-based environments which keeps them safe.  If they wrote a virus for Macs, their operating system would be at risk as well.  These are just hunches however.

As for your scenario, its highly unlikely.  The mac user could get a virus on their Window's installation which might corrupt their file system and take out both systems.  This situation is very plausible. Other then that, such a virus would only operate when Windows booted.  In order for that virus to operate while the OS X installation is online, it would have to be written for Unix kernals which would make it very complicated compared to just writing a virus for Unix operating systems.

cause they are terrible.

Congrats, that was, hands down, the dumbest statement I have ever read on these forums!  Take a bow, son!
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Master of MSPaint and bri's Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 8:35pm

The 15 year old Macintosh classic still can run all of its original programs, and games. I would be truly amazed to see a PC that old even turn on.

1) Macs are PCs.

2) You need to meet the collection of computers my dad has amassed over the years. They all work pretty well, and from time to time we bust out the Commodore 64s to play old games.

BE AMAZED!!!
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 9:17pm

cause they are terrible.

Are you actually serious?

Darur: Money? I've always wondered why they do it, I always just figured they were assholes. Do go on.

<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
pb125 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
1 language strike, 10/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 9:19pm
I used to be so up on pc's nuts and against mac, but then I decided to try an imac and i don't think I'll ever go back to pc.
xXK1CK1NVV1NGXx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 2, 7/17 - quote offensive post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xXK1CK1NVV1NGXx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 9:36pm

No. Macs don't get
viruses, cause they're awesome. PC's get viruses,
cause they are terrible.

Are you actually serious?

Darur: Money?

That is mostly why, and if you look at it in the big picture pc's outnumber
macs so it would be less profitable for them to do so.

Anyways, I finally got my friend who was hardcore into windows to
convert, he did so reluctantly but is now in love with his macbook.
<Sig violation, Section 1>
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 9:49pm
For me, my pc is for gaming and that is it's focus. I don't think i could ever switch over or have any reason to.

With current the rise of macs, one would think that viruses aren't far away.

But can someone explain how people make money off viruses?

By the way, does the current advertising campaign bother anyone else?
Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I am even less fun in person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 9:53pm

Personally I've seen far more people switch to mac as they get more experienced, never the other way around.

I'll offer at least contrary datapoint - me.

I grew up with Apples and Macs (my first computer was an Apple IIe), and was a hardcore Mac fanboy.

Then I actually tried a DOS machine, and switched immediately.  Yep, that's right - I preferred old DOS to MacOS.  Of course, I skipped Windows 3.1 entirely, and only came on the Windows wagon with Windows 95.  I never went back to Macs.

I still work with Macs a fair amount, though, since the rest of my family is all Mac, and I still prefer Windows over MacOS even with frequent chances to change my mind.

This, of course, is aggravated by the standard fanboy behavior of my family - they refuse to use Skype, since iChat is SOOOO much better, thereby forcing me to use AIM just for them, while everybody else is on Skype.  Thanks, dad.

I will acknowledge Windows' weaknesses (like the silly registry structure), but as often as not those weaknesses are a direct result of its greatest strength - flexibility.  There are truly no limits (practically speaking) to what you can bolt on to a DOS/Windows machine.  Macs force you to play their little game.

Anyway - I view myself as fairly well versed in both platforms, as they have each changed over the past 25 years or so, and in my view the same principle has held all along:  Apple machines are easier to use and less likely to break, but Microsoft machines are far more flexible, and allow the power user far greater control over its inner workings (for better or worse).

In today's world, for 99% of users, there isn't much difference at all from a practical perspective, and it all comes down to personal preference.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by Rambino Rambino wrote:

Personally I've seen far more people switch to mac as they get more experienced, never the other way around.

I'll offer at least contrary datapoint - me.

I grew up with Apples and Macs (my first computer was an Apple IIe), and was a hardcore Mac fanboy.

Then I actually tried a DOS machine, and switched immediately. Yep, that's right - I preferred old DOS to MacOS. Of course, I skipped Windows 3.1 entirely, and only came on the Windows wagon with Windows 95. I never went back to Macs.

I still work with Macs a fair amount, though, since the rest of my family is all Mac, and I still prefer Windows over MacOS even with frequent chances to change my mind.

This, of course, is aggravated by the standard fanboy behavior of my family - they refuse to use Skype, since iChat is SOOOO much better, thereby forcing me to use AIM just for them, while everybody else is on Skype. Thanks, dad.

I will acknowledge Windows' weaknesses (like the silly registry structure), but as often as not those weaknesses are a direct result of its greatest strength - flexibility. There are truly no limits (practically speaking) to what you can bolt on to a DOS/Windows machine. Macs force you to play their little game.

Anyway - I view myself as fairly well versed in both platforms, as they have each changed over the past 25 years or so, and in my view the same principle has held all along: Apple machines are easier to use and less likely to break, but Microsoft machines are far more flexible, and allow the power user far greater control over its inner workings (for better or worse).

In today's world, for 99% of users, there isn't much difference at all from a practical perspective, and it all comes down to personal preference.

To be fair, you switched at a time where mac OS was just crap. I still cant stand classic. When apple bought NEXT and they were creating OS X the design team simply skinned classic over the new OS. Jobs saw it, walked in and called them all a "bunch of idiots" and made them start over. Thankfully they did, so we still dont have the ugly crap that was classic. And I'm going to say you're the odd man out for relying on skype, not your contacts. AIM and MSN are by far the norm I would say.
Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I am even less fun in person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 10:09pm

To be fair, you switched at a time where mac OS was just crap. I still cant stand classic. When apple bought NEXT and they were creating OS X the design team simply skinned classic over the new OS. Jobs saw it, walked in and called them all a "bunch of idiots" and made them start over. Thankfully they did, so we still dont have the ugly crap that was classic. And I'm going to say you're the odd man out for relying on skype, not your contacts. AIM and MSN are by far the norm I would say.

Clearly MacOS has come a long way - but so has Windows.  Like I said, I do check back regularly, thanks to family and friends that are Macheads.  Much to my own amusement, I am my parents' tech support - for their Macs.

As to Skype, I personally prefer MSN, but all of my video family/friends are on Skype, so I am on Skype.  Except, that is, my parents. 

Skype, as you may know, was the early favorite for world travellers/emigrants/expats, and still remains so as far as I can tell.  This in part because they were initially a voice/video chat service, not an IM service, and in part because they were first (and only?) to offer IM voice connections to and from land lines.  Skype's grip on the expat community will be hard to break.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 10:10pm
Yeah, I really like skype, but not enough of my friends use it. Heck the only reason I got aim was for people from this forum.
Rp Fr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
This title is just way too old

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote  Rp Fr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 10:13pm

Linux people have actually surpassed mac owners as the most annoying users.

I'm very surprised you feel this way. The only Linux users I know of are Benji and Barrel Break, and I don't find either of the two annoying.
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 10:26pm
i use linuxish as well
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 10:41pm

With current the rise of macs, one would think that viruses aren't far away.

But can someone explain how people make money off viruses?

Macs are growing in popularity, but they have a long way to go before they overshadow Windows. If I remember correctly, a survey in 2007 put Windows XP as owning 80% of the operating system market which was online.  A similar study suggested there were some 6 million Mac users compared to the 233 million windows users.

There are a number of ways to make money.  Identity theft, information gathering and advertising are all common. I recall reading an article about a group of Chinese hackers who were paid to develop viruses to find people's passwords for game accounts.
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 10:43pm
That's just in the US right? (statistics)
mod98commando View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mod98commando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2008 at 12:18am

Linux people have actually surpassed mac owners as the most annoying users.

I don't know, they're about even. If anything, I'd say mac users are still most annoying because they generally don't have any good arguments to support their opinion other than "it's so much better" or some other idiotic statement. Personally, I don't really give a crap what everybody uses as long as they don't try to push their choice on me. I use windows because it's what I'm familiar with and it works with everything I want to run. True, you can usually get a linux system or a mac to run windows software but it's a hassle to setup compared to running it on a windows system (hehe, and I'm quite lazy). And if you have a freakin clue how to use a computer, you won't have any serious problems with windows xp. I've been using xp since around the time SP 1 came out and I haven't had any serious issues in years. Why? Because I'm not an idiot, I have anti-virus/anti-malware software (along with some good ol' common sense) and such to keep the crap off. Though I must say, Linux has been tempting me quite a bit over the last year or so as it gets easier to run windows apps. When I get around to it I plan on getting Vista off of my laptop (I know, I know, it was the only choice I had) and putting on Linux, probably Kubuntu.

In response to the person who mentioned experienced users switching to macs, I have to disagree. Maybe the "tech savvy" people you know have but I have had a different experience. I'm an IT major and I go to a tech school so I'm exposed to a bunch of geeky types and it seems that the people who understand the technology lean towards linux whereas the ones who don't know a whole lot and can't keep their windows system running well switch to mac. I'm not saying that all mac users are idiots, but it does seem that most idiots become mac users. I believe it was Darur who stated all the pros and cons of the different operating systems and as far as I can tell he was pretty much dead on. I don't mind if people prefer a mac over a windows or linux machine but it drives me absolutely insane when they start saying crap like "macs can't be hacked" (yeah, somebody really tried to convince me of that) or "macs can't get viruses". Even the claim that macs last longer is ridiculous, it's the same friggin' hardware!

Anyways, I'll stop my nerd rant now. Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in there.
oreomann33: Everybody invades Poland
Rofl_Mao: And everyone eats turkey
Me: But only if they're hungary
Mack: Yeah but hungary people go russian through their food and end up with greece on everyth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2008 at 12:24am
I just don't understand the point of linux if you're not running a server or extremely poor.

Edited by carl_the_sniper - 15 June 2008 at 12:25am
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2008 at 12:25am

I just don't understand the point of linux if you're not running a server or extremely poor.

How? Are you kidding?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic