FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

mac vs pc

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 5:28pm
But couldn't the viruses that affect idiots who can't work pc's infect your computer and therefore, osx?
<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
choopie911 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 5:34pm
No.
Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Master of MSPaint and bri's Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Originally posted by carl_the_sniper carl_the_sniper wrote:

Originally posted by Shub Shub wrote:

Originally posted by DzXs DzXs wrote:

try making a gaming mac...

Fail. Mac can run Windows, so you can run any game in the world.

May I ask what the point of owning a mac would be then?

To have the option of a fully functioning version of OS X....

As opposed to... you know... a partially functioning version of OS X.

If it wasn't for the hardware constraints, OS X is definitely worth it. No pesky, prone-to-error registry like with Windows. The hardware lock, while inconvenient, further ensures that there will never be driver issues on Macs, which can sometimes be crippling to Windows and Linux PCs.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by Tolgak Tolgak wrote:

Originally posted by Shub Shub wrote:

Originally posted by DzXs DzXs wrote:

try making a gaming mac...

Fail. Mac can run Windows, so you can run any game in the world.

May I ask what the point of owning a mac would be then?

To have the option of a fully functioning version of OS X....
As opposed to... you know... a partially functioning version of OS X.If it wasn't for the hardware constraints, OS X is definitely worth it. No pesky, prone-to-error registry like with Windows. The hardware lock, while inconvenient, further ensures that there will never be driver issues on Macs, which can sometimes be crippling to Windows and Linux PCs.

Yeah, as opposed to a partially functioning version is exactly right. Hackintoshes (os x running on a non-mac box) lose functionality. You can't even run software update.
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 6:17pm
Is it acceptable for me to just prefer the layout and function of a Mac to a Windows machine?
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

Is it acceptable for me to just prefer the layout and function of a Mac to a Windows machine?

Not saying it's wrong but what about it do you like?

I know there are many pc mods that make the interface very much like a mac.
Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 6:39pm

I know there are many pc mods that make the interface very much like a mac.
Yeah, probably the best one is called Linux.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 6:51pm
Linux people have actually surpassed mac owners as the most annoying users.
Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 6:57pm
On this forum? Or in general? I haven't seen much excessive Linux praising here lately.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 7:02pm
In general
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 7:11pm
Carl fails again.

And Whale, yeah that completely makes sense. That's a huge part of it for me too. I don't magically think my processor is faster because it's a mac, I know that the hardware is the same. For me it's all the feel and way that the OS functions, it makes much more sense to me and my needs. I really dont like how windows works, it feels unintuitive to me.
GI JOES SON View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Got me flowers for my birthday

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GI JOES SON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 7:18pm
yeah, i do agree with whale and chewp. i grew up on windows, so i just stayed with it, although vista really makes me want to cry sometimes. 
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Forum's Vladimir Lenin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 7:25pm

The layout and function.
"So when Romney wins in a landslide, what will the liberal media do?"
This Ma**edited**hine Kills **edited**as**edited**ists.

Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by  Rp Fr Rp Fr wrote:

I would like to, but I'm really not sure about whether or not it's actually cheaper. A lot of bundled computers come with monitors, and buying a monitor alone for your custom PC can cost a ton.

The monitor you would get with a prebuilt PC is generally pretty cheap.  For $200, its not uncommon to find  a beautiful 21in LCD these days.

The old argument of building it yourself and saving money isn't as tangible these days. Prebuilt PCs are designed for mainstream markets where generally the most intensive task you'll have to do is run Office. As a result, they stuff everything on very basic motherboards, usually proprietary to the brand.  These boards only need to account for a limited amount of configurations and don't need ultra 8 stage digital PWMs or high quality MOSFETs for advanced tweaking and overclocking.  They can buy their parts in bulk as well, and as their systems generally don't draw much power, its cheaper to use a nameless PSU with maybe 100 - 200W of overhead then a higher grade PSU.  Their cases are usually plastic with some steel or aluminum plates for the mobo and maybe the frame.

In many cases, it would be difficult to build a system complete with keyboard, mouse, monitor and printer as cheaply as a manufacturer could.

That being said, when it comes to high end systems, it is very easy to build a much faster PC then a manufacturer's for less.  A PC I was looking at building for $1800 would have trumped any offering by HP or Dell in the $4500 range.  If you know what your doing and you need power for games, media, or research , building your own system will always be cheaper.

Macs and PCs are a bit of a misnomer these days. Macs can run Windows and Linux and PCs can run Linux, or any Unix distro, and with some work can be made to run OS X. Its almost all personal preference over which operating system you prefer. The lone advantages to each platform are that because Macs are strictly proprietary they tend to cost much more then Windows or Linux based machines due to the cost of the Operating system. Most viruses have been written for Windows platforms, however because Linux and the OS X operating system are based on the Unix kernal which cannot run these scripts, these viruses don't affect them.  Aside from that, they both offer ways of doing everything that the other platform can do.

I tend to recommend Macs to beginners or people inexperienced with computers because the operating system limits how much you can mess around with the system.  Windows and Linux are excellent for people who are more experienced.  Other then that, its all what you like and what you don't like.
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 7:38pm
Personally I've seen far more people switch to mac as they get more experienced, never the other way around.
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 7:40pm

But couldn't the viruses that affect idiots who can't work pc's infect your computer and therefore, osx?

OS X is based on the Unix kernal.  Essentially it handle programs differently then an operating system based on DOS or NT.  As a result, it cannot run viruses written for these kernals.

Its like writing a horribly insulting note to someone in French who speaks only English.  To the English-speaker, the note means nothing. Give the note to someone who speaks French instead and they will be upset.  Its not a case of better security, just a different way of reading the program.
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 7:49pm

Personally I've seen far more people switch to mac as they get more experienced, never the other way around.

People who switch generally get "experienced" by getting frustrated by Windows.  They don't understand it, get a virus or have something else go wrong and would rather leave the operating system for something else.

This has been the case with every one of my friends who has switched.

Macs are great for beginners, they use a very simple interface, everything is done in GUI, its easy enough to figure out what to do. They run the Unix kernal which lessens the odds of picking up a virus.  The operating system is embedded with all the drivers needed for the Mac. These cut down on hassles.

The downside is this creates limitations. Mac hardware limits what you can do with your system, its built as a prepackaged system which means its only designed for a certain number of configurations. Users who become more experienced often prefer a PC for the fact that they control the hardware that goes in and how it runs, wither that PC runs Windows or Linux. Its much more difficult to change how the operating system runs on a Mac, to completely alter the look and feel of the system and to change how things run.

Sure, some people may find they prefer the feel of a Mac, but when it comes down to what each platform offers in terms of tweaking and modifying hardware and software, the Mac platform is very limited.
Real Men play Tuba

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!
DONT CLICK ME!!1
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by Darur Darur wrote:

People who switch generally get "experienced" by getting frustrated by Windows. They don't understand it, get a virus or have something else go wrong and would rather leave the operating system for something else.

Not at all the case with the people I know. My most specific example is my friend Kevin, who has been programming, and doing graphic design since grade 7 or so. He knows the entire adobe suite inside and out, and runs circles around most others in our programming classes, and he now uses his mac laptop more than his faster pc desktop.

*edit*
I should be clear, for a lot of cases you're dead on. Just wanted to show that "frustration" isn't the only reason to drop windows.

Edited by choopie911 - 14 June 2008 at 7:57pm
Brianwawrz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brianwawrz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 7:58pm

But couldn't the viruses that affect idiots who
can't work pc's infect your computer and therefore, osx?

Fail
I currently have 3 Macs, a 15 year old Macintosh classic, a 9 year old Mac
G3, and a 3 1/2 year old Mac G5 running OS 10.3.9. The 15 year old
Macintosh classic still can run all of its original programs, and games. I
would be truly amazed to see a PC that old even turn on. I have never
had a problem with viruses with any of the 3 computers. Ever. Macs rule.

Edited by Brianwawrz - 14 June 2008 at 7:59pm
"Miracle Whip, the Mayonnaise of Communists"
XBL: Brianwawrz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 7:58pm

Carl fails again.

And Whale, yeah that completely makes sense. That's a huge part of it for me too. I don't magically think my processor is faster because it's a mac, I know that the hardware is the same. For me it's all the feel and way that the OS functions, it makes much more sense to me and my needs. I really dont like how windows works, it feels unintuitive to me.

And choopie acts like a giant prick for no reason again.

I don't believe I have said anything wrong.

The layout and function.

Yes but what about the layout and function?

Originally posted by Darur Darur wrote:

OS X is based on the Unix kernal. Essentially it handle programs differently then an operating system based on DOS or NT. As a result, it cannot run viruses written for these kernals.Its like writing a horribly insulting note to someone in French who speaks only English. To the English-speaker, the note means nothing. Give the note to someone who speaks French instead and they will be upset. Its not a case of better security, just a different way of reading the program.

Curious though, couldn't a virus specifically built for attacking macs running boot camp install itself in a way that it would affect the mac os? I know that there are viruses for mac now.

Anyways, I like thsi picture for summing up the argument since it is fairly neutral though I don't like how they seem to think running a good pc is brain surgery.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic