Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

This is why we’re boned....

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Avatar
I am even less fun in person

Joined: 15 August 2002
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 16593
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 10:57am

Originally posted by Gator Taco Gator Taco wrote:


What car do you know that you can move four 285/75/16 tires in all at once? Or a bumper?

Back to Top
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Joined: 08 April 2006
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 11259
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 11:05am
Originally posted by Gator Taco Gator Taco wrote:


Originally posted by carl_the_sniper carl_the_sniper wrote:

Almost all of the above parts could be moved in a much smaller vehicle.
What car do you know that you can move four 285/75/16 tires in all at once? Or a bumper?


My dad's minivan for sure

My mom's sunfire probably also.

Rambino has a point though.

Edited by carl_the_sniper - 17 June 2008 at 11:05am
<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
Back to Top
fractus.scud View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar
well I have no title

Joined: 23 February 2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 925
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fractus.scud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by carl_the_sniper carl_the_sniper wrote:

Originally posted by Gator Taco Gator Taco wrote:


Originally posted by carl_the_sniper carl_the_sniper wrote:

Almost all of the above parts could be moved in a much smaller vehicle.
What car do you know that you can move four 285/75/16 tires in all at once? Or a bumper?


My dad's minivan for sure

My mom's sunfire probably also.

Rambino has a point though.


Minivans have tons of room inside, but they also cannot handle nearly as much weight as a pick up. You will be scraping the ground. Forget the little sunfire. You really expect someone to shove heavy, dirty car parts on their back seat?

Trailers are nice but you have to make sure your vehicle is capable of towing the weight. Chances are by buying a new vehicle and a trailer you will be spending more money on payments then on gas.

Benny go home!
Back to Top
Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Avatar
I am even less fun in person

Joined: 15 August 2002
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 16593
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 2:10pm

Originally posted by fractus.scud fractus.scud wrote:

[Minivans have tons of room inside, but they also cannot handle nearly as much weight as a pick up. You will be scraping the ground. Forget the little sunfire. You really expect someone to shove heavy, dirty car parts on their back seat?

Trailers are nice but you have to make sure your vehicle is capable of towing the weight. Chances are by buying a new vehicle and a trailer you will be spending more money on payments then on gas.

Those are true statements - for somebody who uses their pickup for construction.

For most large vehicle users, the vehicles are only occasionally used to haul large and/or heavy things, and even then not that heavy. 

You are also underestimating the capabilities of both minivans and trailers.  Remember that minivans are designed to accomodate 7 adults AND their luggage - that is a lot of weight.  Certainly more than some tires and a fender.  Minivans are also used to haul freight - again very heavy.

As for trailers, it doesn't take that much car to haul a trailer-ful of whatever most people are hauling.  If you are hauling a boat, sure - but that isn't what most people need to get home from the store.  You don't need a Durango to haul a trailer with a refrigerator on it.  Any midsize sedan will do just fine.

Yes, many Americans can make good arguments for having a large vehicle (myself included), but - frankly - most us could also do without if we had to (myself included).

The rest of the world manages without pickups in every garage.  It's not as if they don't have any tires to haul.

Back to Top
ammolord View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Avatar

Joined: 06 July 2007
Location: Minot, ND
Status: Offline
Points: 1832
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammolord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 2:12pm

Originally posted by carl_the_sniper carl_the_sniper wrote:

Originally posted by Gator Taco Gator Taco wrote:


Originally posted by carl_the_sniper carl_the_sniper wrote:

Almost all of the above parts could be moved in a much smaller vehicle.
What car do you know that you can move four 285/75/16 tires in all at once? Or a bumper?


My dad's minivan for sure

My mom's sunfire probably also.


trust me, it couldent. a sunfire could maby hold one 285/75/16, but not 4. and definatly not a bumper. the minivan could though, not that i would be cought dead in one.

PSN Tag: AmmoLord
XBL: xXAmmoLordXx


~Minister of Tinkering With Things That Go "BOOM!"(AKA Minister of Munitions)~
Back to Top
fractus.scud View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar
well I have no title

Joined: 23 February 2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 925
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fractus.scud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by Rambino Rambino wrote:

Those are true statements - for somebody who uses their pickup for construction.

For most large vehicle users, the vehicles are only occasionally used to haul large and/or heavy things, and even then not that heavy. 

You are also underestimating the capabilities of both minivans and trailers.  Remember that minivans are designed to accomodate 7 adults AND their luggage - that is a lot of weight.  Certainly more than some tires and a fender.  Minivans are also used to haul freight - again very heavy.

As for trailers, it doesn't take that much car to haul a trailer-ful of whatever most people are hauling.  If you are hauling a boat, sure - but that isn't what most people need to get home from the store.  You don't need a Durango to haul a trailer with a refrigerator on it.  Any midsize sedan will do just fine.

Yes, many Americans can make good arguments for having a large vehicle (myself included), but - frankly - most us could also do without if we had to (myself included).

The rest of the world manages without pickups in every garage.  It's not as if they don't have any tires to haul.


That is very true, most large vehicles owners do not use them for their intended purpose. How many people driving Escalade pick-ups are going to carry around junk in them? I have used minivans for moving stuff before. It was a Honda Odyssey to be specific. My church picks up 80 turkeys and 80 large bags of good to distribute to the poor on Thanksgiving. We loaded the turkeys on the van and it was getting so low we were worried about damaging it. My pick up barely budged when we used it last year. For a person who regularly carries heavy items around a minivan isn't feasible, and the fuel economy of a van, which isn't a whole lot better than many pick ups, isn't worth the hassle. 


We need to work on making all vehicles, even large ones, more efficient. I'm hoping the high crude prices turn into rapid results with new fuel and new engine technologies. It is nice to hear we are getting close to the point of being able to use our oil shale reserves, which are triple the reserves of Saudi Arabia, perhaps we won't have such a big problem in the future with oil. Of course I feel it is still important to work on cleaner technologies, as we must care for the planet as well.



Benny go home!
Back to Top
impulse! View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Avatar
Guested - Repeat Offender

Joined: 05 September 2005
Location: Germany
Status: Offline
Points: 1715
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 9:20pm
Cops need to start writing tickets for going 5 over. There is no reason to speed people. Slow down, it helps your mpg.
Back to Top
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
Dead man...

Joined: 02 July 2002
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 8925
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 9:30pm
The problem with tar sands and shale is that in order to be able to turn a profit off of it, a barrel of oil has to cost more that $120 a barrel or so. The added supply will only be utilized when oil prices are high, so it's not going to push cost down. If cops start writing tickets for going 5mph over we'll save a lot of gas, because after so many tickets, people won't be able to afford the insurance and will stop driving. 
Back to Top
fractus.scud View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar
well I have no title

Joined: 23 February 2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 925
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fractus.scud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2008 at 9:31am
Originally posted by rednekk98 rednekk98 wrote:

The problem with tar sands and shale is that in order to be able to turn a profit off of it, a barrel of oil has to cost more that $120 a barrel or so. The added supply will only be utilized when oil prices are high, so it's not going to push cost down. If cops start writing tickets for going 5mph over we'll save a lot of gas, because after so many tickets, people won't be able to afford the insurance and will stop driving. 


I agree about not speeding. I follow the speed limit for fuel economy and more importantly safety. Several kids have died in my own in the past 2 years because they were speeding around sharp turns.

BTW about the shale oil, you are way off with those numbers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_shale_economics#Competitive _level_of_oil_price

It is competitive with oil above $90/bbl, we are at what, $136/bbl now? As production increases, it will get much cheaper. We can keep looking for instant answers to oil prices, but we need to start making steps forward now, even if they won't solve the problem for many years, they will begin taking the edge off prices.


Edited by fractus.scud - 18 June 2008 at 9:33am

Benny go home!
Back to Top
rockerdoode View Drop Down
Member
Member

one strike, flaming 7/15

Joined: 08 August 2004
Location: Neutral Zone
Status: Offline
Points: 76
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockerdoode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2008 at 12:09pm
I was under the impression the cost per barrel was nearing 150 on monday. I really doubt it's gone down.
"According to Sue Johanson, theres nothing that can increase your manhood, trust me I've already looked into it for myself." -Zata
Back to Top
Gator Taco View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar

Joined: 10 June 2008
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 696
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gator Taco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2008 at 12:16pm
Back to Top
Benjichang View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Joined: 03 January 2004
Location: R'lyeh
Status: Offline
Points: 12518
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2008 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Gator Taco Gator Taco wrote:

Bush wants to drill offshore
Meh. It won't make a difference at all in the long term.
Back to Top
Dune View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar
<placeholder>

Joined: 05 February 2004
Status: Offline
Points: 4347
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2008 at 2:58pm

Originally posted by Benjichang Benjichang wrote:

Originally posted by Gator Taco Gator Taco wrote:

Bush wants to drill offshore
Meh. It won't make a difference at all in the long term.

Yeah, seeing as how we wouldn't see the first drop of that oil until somewhere around 2025-2030.

Back to Top
Gator Taco View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar

Joined: 10 June 2008
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 696
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gator Taco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2008 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Dune Dune wrote:

Originally posted by Benjichang Benjichang wrote:

Originally posted by Gator Taco Gator Taco wrote:

Bush wants to drill offshore
Meh. It won't make a difference at all in the long term.

Yeah, seeing as how we wouldn't see the first drop of that oil until somewhere around 2025-2030.



Unfortunately.
Back to Top
Savage93fvss View Drop Down
Member
Member
Avatar

Joined: 13 February 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 677
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Savage93fvss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2008 at 12:01am

Even if we did drill the oil in our country, the same corporations will own it, and export it.

Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.03

This page was generated in 0.172 seconds.