Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

This is why we’re boned....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Gator Taco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gator Taco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2008 at 4:59pm
Carl, which forumers on here have a big truck like that?
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2008 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by jubba jubba wrote:

When he was sworn in president oil was $30 a barrel now it's over $140. Gas was $1.09 a gallon now it's $4.19 a gallon. Opec hates this president for invading iraq under false intelligents so they are purposely keeping production down to keep prices high. But the 300 billion a quarter that just good old fasioned price gouging.
I'm assuming you're referring to the profits of exxon, which get most of its oil from Saudi Arabia. Saudia Arabian light-sweet crude is the easiest oil to get at and to refine. The production facilities are already there. Oil is traded on the world market in US dollars, the dollar is tanking and other currencies are doing well in comparison. Countries on the euro aren't seeing the kind of price increases we are, a lot of this is just the weak dollar.

I have to ask myself why I'm even bothering to respond to your half-baked conspiracy theories, but rants like this seem to pass for intelligent discussion all too often these days. Also, I hope your user name is not in reference to "Jubba the Sniper", famous for posting  videos of US servicemen being shot on the internet. If you're glorifying that and buying into angsty conspiracy theory crap, you need to get your head checked.

As to what we should do about the problem, **edited**ing about prices might be a good idea. If auto manufacturers sense a strong demand they may be willing to put more into fuel-efficient vehicles. As for government-based solutions, I know it would be political suicide but why not raise the federal gas tax a dollar a gallon? Our infrastructure is overdue for an upgrade, and if our roads weren't as crappy maybe we wouldn't prefer SUV's, and if we had good public transportation, maybe people would actually use it. As it stands here, our roads look like they've been through an artillery barrage and our bridges are not built for the 90,000lb trucks that drive over them all day. If we build more nuclear power plants, put in wind turbines and solar everywhere practical we'll be in a lot better shape.

Rail is much more efficient than semi's, but our rail systems are in disrepair, and have been going down the crapper since after WWII. The other day I saw a logging truck from Oregon at the lumber yard(in MA) that has a rail line running right behind it. Wal-Mart is 50 yards from the rail line and they truck all their stuff in. Germany and Japan have excellent rail service because we bombed all of their old stuff into dust and they build better systems to replace them(with help from US$$) while ours is pretty much the same. Increased gas prices may be good for local economies, at some point it will be cheaper to buy locally grown produce at the general store than to drive 25-30 min to the chain grocery store. Why not get kids to pick our produce instead of illegal Mexicans? It would help with the obesity epidemic.

It's our entire economy that needs help, that's why the dollar is crashing. We need to find some way of fixing it that doesn't require borrowing money from China to send to taxpayers so they can fill up their tanks and send the money to Saudi Arabia. High gas prices are actually driving innovation and there is real political will to do something about it. Didn't congress scuttle Bush's energy policy because it involved more domestic drilling? So instead of having a bad energy policy we have none, great. No wonder congress has a lower approval rating than Bush, everyone wants to claim that they solved the problem and will make damned sure the other party can't take action to do so. Meanwhile nothing gets done.
Ace_Of_Spades View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested, Doesnt follow Rules. 9/10/08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace_Of_Spades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2008 at 5:17pm

why do we hvae to point it out, hes stating a general fact and lets leave it at that. on the other hand, i dont see why the others on this topic are fighting me over what i say, its very funny that they are defending that idiotic lifestyle of bigger is better the auto idustry has the ability to make 100mpg+ vehicles that can also go 100mph+

AUDI ( i think) made a car they ran on the Le Mans that averaged 145mpg (deisel) and american car makers are bragging in comercials about 40mpg? its total BS and i hate the fact that almost all the auto idustried are in cahoots with the oil industries. I like the fact Honda thought it was getting rediculous and is starting to mass produce hydrogen cars and Lotus has made the Tesla Roadster which is a completely electric car capable of 120+ mph 0-60 is 3 ish secs and a 220 mile range between charges. theysaid that if they were to compair it to MPG it would be about 40 cents/galon

Edited by Ace_Of_Spades - 16 June 2008 at 5:23pm
Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I am even less fun in person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2008 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by Ace_Of_Spades Ace_Of_Spades wrote:

why do we hvae to point it out, hes stating a general fact and lets leave it at that. on the other hand, i dont see why the others on this topic are fighting me over what i say, its very funny that they are defending that idiotic lifestyle of bigger is better the auto idustry has the ability to make 100mpg+ vehicles that can also go 100mph+

AUDI ( i think) made a car they ran on the Le Mans that averaged 145mpg (deisel) and american car makers are bragging in comercials about 40mpg? its total BS and i hate the fact that almost all the auto idustried are in cahoots with the oil industries. I like the fact Honda thought it was getting rediculous and is starting to mass produce hydrogen cars and Lotus has made the Tesla Roadster which is a completely electric car capable of 120+ mph 0-60 is 3 ish secs and a 220 mile range between charges. theysaid that if they were to compair it to MPG it would be about 40 cents/galon

Wow - that was an impressive amount of almost-correct-but-not-really.

Ace_Of_Spades View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested, Doesnt follow Rules. 9/10/08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace_Of_Spades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2008 at 5:39pm
and what do you hvae that i dont? I  hvae a nack of halfassed retaining old things ive heard and seen on the news but i know that racecar got 100+ mpg along with 100+ mph

Edited by Ace_Of_Spades - 16 June 2008 at 5:40pm
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2008 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by Gator Taco Gator Taco wrote:

Not necessarily a big truck but a truck that you know they never use to haul anything.
<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
Rambino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I am even less fun in person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2008 at 6:31pm

What do I have?

Spelling, for one.

Originally posted by Ace_Of_Spades Ace_Of_Spades wrote:

the auto idustry has the ability to make 100mpg+ vehicles that can also go 100mph+

Hardly.

What you are thinking of is the X Prize, which is offering a large cash prize for anybody who can build such a thing.  The auto companies are not sitting on some secret super-efficient car.

We will probably get there soon, but it is not currently marketable technology.

Quote AUDI ( i think) made a car they ran on the Le Mans that averaged 145mpg (deisel) and american car makers are bragging in comercials about 40mpg?

You are thinking of the Audi R10 TDi.  Very impressive car to be sure, but gets nowhere near 145 mpg.  And as for 40 mpg, Audi just announced a new TT based on the R10, and they are specifically bragging about 44 mpg.

Quote its total BS and i hate the fact that almost all the auto idustried are in cahoots with the oil industries.

What's BS is your unfounded conspiracy theory that makes no sense.

Quote I like the fact Honda thought it was getting rediculous and is starting to mass produce hydrogen cars

Honda, like everybody else, is out to make a buck (yen).  Yes, they are first to market with a hydrogen car, but others will be very close behind.  Honda actually may have jumped the gun a little to beat the competition.  We shall see.

Quote Lotus has made the Tesla Roadster which is a completely electric car capable of 120+ mph 0-60 is 3 ish secs and a 220 mile range between charges.

Lotus does not make the Tesla Roadster - TESLA makes the Tesla Roadster.  Tesla hired Lotus under contract to work on some portions of design and assembly, but a Tesla is not a Lotus.  Current Roadsters go 0-60 in just over 4 seconds - once the new powertrain/gearbox is in place (should be very soon) that will come down to about 3.9 seconds.

Quote  theysaid that if they were to compair it to MPG it would be about 40 cents/galon

"MPG" is miles per gallon, not cents per gallon.  And the Tesla folks figure their car, on a kWh equivalency basis, is roughly the same as 135 mpg.  How much that costs per mile depends on your electric bill.  And, of course, Tesla will set you up with solar energy to power your car, which will run that bill up just a tad.

There.  Fixed it for you.

Edited by Rambino - 16 June 2008 at 6:33pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gator Taco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2008 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by carl_the_sniper carl_the_sniper wrote:

Not necessarily a big truck but a truck that you know they never use to haul anything.

Hmph.

The only people on this forum I know of with trucks is Me and .357. I know I use the piss outta my bed and seeing all the Auto stuff .357 does, I'm sure he hauls parts around.
ammolord View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammolord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2008 at 6:38pm
i have a truck.
PSN Tag: AmmoLord
XBL: xXAmmoLordXx

~Minister of Tinkering With Things That Go "BOOM!"(AKA Minister of Munitions)~
Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2008 at 6:39pm
I and Whale also drive trucks.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2008 at 6:53pm

Hmph.The only people on this forum I know of with trucks is Me and .357. I know I use the piss outta my bed and seeing all the Auto stuff .357 does, I'm sure he hauls parts around.

What parts would you haul around that would require a truck?

Originally posted by Evil Elvis Evil Elvis wrote:

Whale?

No way
jerseypaint View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerseypaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2008 at 6:54pm
If we are talking about fuel economic cars, I have to say the VW 1L is the most impressive I've seen. It may only go up to 75mph but it gets 235 mpg.

Edited by jerseypaint - 16 June 2008 at 6:54pm
ammolord View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammolord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2008 at 7:01pm

Hmph.The only people on this forum I know of with trucks is Me and .357. I know I use the piss outta my bed and seeing all the Auto stuff .357 does, I'm sure he hauls parts around.

come on? hoods, doors, fenders, motors, trannys, fuel tanks. the list is endless.

Whale?

No way

way

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gator Taco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2008 at 7:05pm

Tires, transmissions, wheels, bumpers, ect.

Originally posted by Carl Carl wrote:

Whale?

No way

I forgot about Whale, He has a Ranger.

Edit:

EE and ammolord, what you guys have?

Edited by Gator Taco - 16 June 2008 at 7:06pm
ammolord View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammolord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2008 at 7:11pm

2001 ford f-150 lariat extened cab 5.4L triton V8. its black and silver with a grey leather interior. it has BFgoodrich mud terrain tires.

Edited by ammolord - 16 June 2008 at 7:13pm

.636 View Drop Down
Strike 1, 9/13 inappropiate post content

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .636 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2008 at 7:18pm

I do. My rents use their 3/4 ton for hauling a camper, I use it for hauling a boat.

2003 2500 HD 8.1L gasser. Costs too much to drive so its mostly parked.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2008 at 7:26pm

If anyone cares, I actually have two SUV's. Isuzu Rodeo and Dodge Durango. Yeah, I am a bit of a hypocrite, but the only reason we have the Rodeo is because we have owned it since new and it's paid for. Bought the Durango last year because I couldn't stand driving the soccer mom mini van anymore and wanted something with third row seats for the ankle biters.

"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
fractus.scud View Drop Down
well I have no title

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fractus.scud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2008 at 9:36pm
I have a 98 F-150 with the 4.7 V-8. I get about 18-20 MPG. I also don't drive far at all.

When we start utilizing our gigantic reserves of shale oil the mid-east will look to us in envy. There is more oil there than 3 times what Saudi Arabia has. We also have lots of natural gas.

America still needs an infrastructure upgrade. As others have mentioned rail is the way to go and our rail system has gone down the tubes. Wind power may be feasible and is being planned off parts of the Jersey Shore. The shallow Atlantic is ideal for them, and it is always windy over the water.

Benny go home!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 12:16am
Almost all of the above parts could be moved in a much smaller vehicle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gator Taco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 8:28am

Almost all of the above parts could be moved in a much smaller vehicle.

What car do you know that you can move four 285/75/16 tires in all at once? Or a bumper?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic