FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

polishable metal filler?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: polishable metal filler?
    Posted: 05 June 2008 at 11:41am
Is there such a thing? I want to fill some areas in on a 98 that I am modding, and would really like the option of just polishing the body afterwards.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
mikelomax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikelomax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2008 at 8:57am
Alvin Lab-Metal would be the best bet but don't think it would match exactly. good stuff though!
Mike Lomax
www.LomaxMotorsports.com
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2008 at 11:20am
Thanks Mike. I looked at that, but couldn't really determine if it would work. It look pretty similiar in texture to JB Weld, which just dries flat. I even bought a tube of some "aluminum filler" that basically was grey bondo. I am 1/2 tempted to look up and article about "leading" like they used to do on old customs. That or maybe I'll just go buy some chrome tape. lol.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
SilentDeath1288 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SilentDeath1288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2008 at 3:34pm
There is suppose to be chrome spray paint.  Found in automotive stores to repair scratched headlight projectors.
A5 under construction with Ebolt
http://www.a5og.net/showthread.php?t=5009
98c
http://www.a5og.net/showthread.php?t=5893
kurieitaa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurieitaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2008 at 4:06pm

if you get someone to tig weld the holes up with the same materiel it should work fine, sand down and polish.

mikelomax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikelomax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2008 at 7:36am
I thought 98s where made of magnezium <--sp I don't think you can weld mag! lab metal kind of shines up with sanding have some here I sanded would not call it polished by no means but I could snap a pic or too for ya
Mike Lomax
www.LomaxMotorsports.com
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2008 at 9:33am

Hey Mike. 98's are actually made of cast aluminum.  If you have pic would be great of what you were able to polish up. Her is a pic of what my recievers look like and the general finish I am looking to match.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic