Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tippmann 98c Mods vs. Alpha Black Mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
XDG SCORPION View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XDG SCORPION Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tippmann 98c Mods vs. Alpha Black Mods
    Posted: 31 May 2008 at 8:07am

Im thinking about getting and Alpha black but Im not sure because they dont have that many upgrades with out modding the gun. Should I just get a 98c and upgrade it to make it look like an M4/M16?

Im also going to be using the gun for woodsball/scenario games.

Edited by XDG SCORPION - 31 May 2008 at 2:31pm
techietaichi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Proud American

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techietaichi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2008 at 9:03am
If it were me, I'd steer away from the AB, because I'd want to do the mod myself. It's more fun and you have the option of adding what YOU want. The downside is the money you'll dish out to make a sweet M-4/16 mod. It ain't cheap, but if you've got the loot and spending a little coin doesn't bug you, go for it. If I stuck to kits, my AK-98 wouldn't look as unique as it does. Another thing is, if you ever get bored of your mod, you can change it. AB's won't give you that option. It'll always be an M-16.
insofar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insofar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2008 at 9:20am

Get the ABT!!!!

I absolutly love this marker...!!!

When you MOD a 98C to look like an M-16 or anything, it really does not look as realistic as the design of the Alpha... I have done lots of work to mine. Check it out! All the 98 upgrades are overpriced and wayyyyyy to expensive! No matter what you do to a 98C it will always just look like a 98C with some stuff bolted to it.

Hope you decide on the Alpha!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XDG SCORPION Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2008 at 1:37pm

Originally posted by techietaichi techietaichi wrote:

If it were me, I'd steer away from the AB, because I'd want to do the mod myself. It's more fun and you have the option of adding what YOU want. The downside is the money you'll dish out to make a sweet M-4/16 mod. It ain't cheap, but if you've got the loot and spending a little coin doesn't bug you, go for it. If I stuck to kits, my AK-98 wouldn't look as unique as it does. Another thing is, if you ever get bored of your mod, you can change it. AB's won't give you that option. It'll always be an M-16.

Can you send me what your 98c looks like?

Grumbacher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumbacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2008 at 2:52pm
If you want to get a marker and mod it out to look like something other than an M4/M16 type of weapon I'd say start with the 98C.

If you're fine with an M4 marker, the AB will save you the money that you'd spend on a 98C+stock+handguard/barrel+magazine kit + maybe even a carry handle.  The Alpha Black may not have many upgrades but it comes with most of what you'd need anyways and modding it isn't difficult at all.  For example adding a scope onto the carry handle took me 5 minutes with a drill.

As far as performance both have the same internals and the same Tippmann reliability; I've put about 1000 rounds through my AB so far and have yet to break a ball so knock on wood.
Gold Member
Gold Member
Proud American

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techietaichi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2008 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by insofar insofar wrote:

No matter what you do to a 98C it will always just look like a 98C with some stuff bolted to it.

I disagree. My marker's already being mistaken for an A5, so there goes that theory friend. And I see a lot of "Bolt-on" mods that are damn sweet. You have to know how to combine all the elements of the marker; barrel, stock, rails, accesories, everything, so they work together and have a good flow.

Edited by techietaichi - 10 July 2008 at 2:03am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XDG SCORPION Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2008 at 5:51pm

How much did all the mods w/ the 98c cost you?

Looks good by the way.

Edited by XDG SCORPION - 31 May 2008 at 5:51pm
Grumbacher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumbacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2008 at 12:47am
Techie what did you use to cover your steel braided hose? (sorry if I'm thread hijacking)
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2008 at 1:44am
Originally posted by Grumbacher Grumbacher wrote:

Techie what did you use to cover your steel braided hose? (sorry if I'm thread hijacking)

Looks like electrical tape...
Gold Member
Gold Member
Proud American

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techietaichi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2008 at 2:10am
Originally posted by XDG SCORPION XDG SCORPION wrote:

How much did all the mods w/ the 98c cost you? Looks good by the way.

I got my 98C six years ago, summer/fall of '02 for like $135. All said though, my marker's right at $800. I did re-sell a lot of the replaced parts, so the expense didn't hurt as much. A lot of this gun was funded with stuff I had around the house that I sold on ebaY. College text books, paintball gear, computer gear, sold a lot of fedoras for it too. This mod was a lot of fun.

Np man. All it is is split loom tubing wrapped with electrical tape. When you wind the tape, it has to be a little taught so that the 'ribs' show through ok. It's nice to be rid of that ugly braided hose.
Brianwawrz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brianwawrz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2008 at 8:45am
I agree with insofar, the Alpha Black IMO is the best choice for your
money. The 98 is a great gun, but the money you have to put in it to get
it to look good is crazy. You drop $130 on the Alpha, and it already
looks sweet, right out of the box.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XDG SCORPION Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2008 at 10:02am

Originally posted by XDG SCORPION XDG SCORPION wrote:

How much did all the mods w/ the 98c cost you? Looks good by the way.

I got my 98C six years ago, summer/fall of '02 for like $135. All said though, my marker's right at $800. I did re-sell a lot of the replaced parts, so the expense didn't hurt as much. A lot of this gun was funded with stuff I had around the house that I sold on ebaY. College text books, paintball gear, computer gear, sold a lot of fedoras for it too. This mod was a lot of fun. 

Yeah Ill probably do that but Im not that sure. Because I dont feel like spending 99 just for a shroud. Maybe after I get a little better in paintball,get a team together,win a few local tounements and get some money I can blow I will get a tippmann and do that to it, (my mom said I have to start saving because I need $ for a car when Im 16) or should I just by a tippmann and slowly upgrade it? If im going to do what you did what tippmann should I start with?

http://www.paintball-online.com/paintball/product_informatio n.asp?number=GNTPLAK

or

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productI d=2816147&ab=Concept_Tippman_Custom98

Edited by XDG SCORPION - 01 June 2008 at 10:18am
Nagash1959 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nagash1959 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2008 at 10:21am

My advice, get a plain 98. Don't get one with the upgrades already on it, because if you decide to go another route with the look then you've wasted money (you can re-sell the parts of course, but the less you have to do that the better).

Get a plain 98c and use it non-stop. Get the gun broken in and then slowly build up. Each piece that you do decide to add will feel right then. It may take longer to get the gun looking the way you want it to, but it won't feel as expensive as doing it all at once.

98 Custom
Cyclone
Double E-Trigger
Polished Internals
Freak kit
X-chamber
CP Drop w/On/Off

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XDG SCORPION Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2008 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Nagash1959 Nagash1959 wrote:

My advice, get a plain 98. Don't get one with the upgrades already on it, because if you decide to go another route with the look then you've wasted money (you can re-sell the parts of course, but the less you have to do that the better).

Get a plain 98c and use it non-stop. Get the gun broken in and then slowly build up. Each piece that you do decide to add will feel right then. It may take longer to get the gun looking the way you want it to, but it won't feel as expensive as doing it all at once.

Yeah but I only want to spend about $200 a year on paintball mods and most of the mods are expensive, plus im going to get a plain reg tippmann in a few years and up that one to look like a m16/m4 look.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XDG SCORPION Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2008 at 10:41am
Ive been looking and I found a Tippmann 98 Custom AK Tactical Conversion Kit for only $79. Some of the stuff on the website is cheapish so Im going to buy the stuff from the website I found. They have lasers to real wood ak47 mods for all the tippmanns.
Eternal_SiR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eternal_SiR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2008 at 4:49pm

theres alot of 98 parts that fits on the AB.. on my AB, the mods i have done

Weaver rails on front guard with foregrip

14" J&J cermaic barrel

carry handle weaver mount

40MM red dot

cyclone feeder mod with X7 hopper

squishy paddes, vortex ratchet, lightning rod, QEPH

light pull trigger mod

APE Rampage egrip v2

JCS blew power tube with front bolt.

Nikolai049 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikolai049 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2008 at 12:25pm

I got my 98C six years ago, summer/fall of '02 for like $135. All said though, my marker's right at $800. I did re-sell a lot of the replaced parts, so the expense didn't hurt as much.

Holy Schnikeys! You could have gotten and ACTUAL AK for that amount!

Gold Member
Gold Member
Proud American

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techietaichi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2008 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Nikolai049 Nikolai049 wrote:

Holy Schnikeys! You could have gotten and ACTUAL AK for that amount!

More like 2.
XtremeBordom View Drop Down
Guested - language.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XtremeBordom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2008 at 6:37pm

More like 2.

I agree 800 is a little rediculous for a pb gun. but with it you have the joy of PwNiNg n00bZ without spending life in prison or getting the death penalty! :D
R34P3R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R34P3R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2008 at 12:27am

Np man. All it is is split loom tubing wrapped with electrical tape. When you wind the tape, it has to be a little taught so that the 'ribs' show through ok. It's nice to be rid of that ugly braided hose.[/QUOTE]

i did the same with mine, the stuff works great dont it.

Kill em all and let god sort em out
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic