Tippmann Pneumatics Inc. Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Velocity not consistent/ not firing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Wojofoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wojofoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Velocity not consistent/ not firing
    Posted: 25 May 2008 at 11:20pm
Ok so here it is:
I have a compressed air tank with 1 1/2 psi left, yet the gun only seems to fire a few shots, than stops completely until you take the tank off, and than put it back on.. and so on. why?

Velocity also seems to jump an extreme amount causing paintballs to be inaccurate even with a JJ barrel/ Compressed Air (50 or so feet away at times)

Two things I am thinking is the problem.
I am missing the front bolt o-ring.. Could this cause that many problems?
I have a 6 stage expansion chamber on (however, i don't want to remove the expansion chamber idea forever, cause co2 is common)
Thanks to all

The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2008 at 11:46pm
I'll assume that 1-1/2 PSI is actually 1500. Te expansion chamber is doing you no good right now. Better to just remove it, unless you use CO2 on it on a regular basis.

Your best bet is to just oil up the gun, by follow all your instructions. Oil all o-rings.
Wojofoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wojofoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 10:32am
Well not really sure.. because the tank is 3000psi however the regulator says x1000.
I know its not doing any good.. but wouldn't a small expansion chamber helps both things. it wouldn't restrict airflow however it would come in handy when co2 is used
The gun is oiled to because it justs came from the shop
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 12:05pm
Your gauge says X1000 because you are supposed to multiply the number on your gauge by 1000. So your 1.5 is really 1500.
uno187 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uno187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 2:06pm
why are you missing the front bolt o-ring? I would get a new one and if it just came from the shop they should have put one on for you!

as for the expansion you could get a gas through grip (this is the one I have) to replace it when you are running air and then put it back on when you run co2. I tend to do the same thing and my set up I can change from the x chamber to the gas through in 5 sec.

98 Custom Pro
E-grip
cp reg
cp on/off
custom drop
freak barrel kit
Ricochet Apache
68/4500 crossfire
fang trigger
macro line
low pressure kit
Wojofoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wojofoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 4:32pm
How much could the front bolt o-ring affect?
and I don't think mine is as easy to switch
here is my gun:

The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 6:11pm
The front bolt o-ring is kinda pointless, it just traps blowback gas. But ten, if you are having blowback problems, give it a try. I believe Enos Shenk has an o-ring guide around here somewhere. You can pick up standard o-rings at any hardware store that has plumbing stuff. The sizes are standardized by number.

Have you tried disconnecting your cyclone and seeing if that fixes the blowback problem.

Inconsistency in velocity usually points to poor oiling, or something binding/rubbing. Go over it yourself and oil it up.

Also, double check that your valve screws are tight, and not stripped.

Edited by The Guy - 26 May 2008 at 6:14pm
Wojofoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wojofoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 7:26pm
Its not the cyclone.. the gun just stops.. it recocks and all, but just doesn't fire.. (like it has ran out of air and even sometimes makes that automatic sound when gas runs out, however gas is still left in the tank)

and to oil it.. how many drops do you put in the asa... to dry fire it
and can you with compressed air?.. i heard your not suppose to get oil around the nipple of a compressed air tank =[
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 8:14pm
oil in the ASA is the lazy persons way of oiling. It works well for rentals and guns you don't really give a crap about.

Better to open it up and do it the right way.
Wojofoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wojofoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 8:54pm
Last time I oiled it up... everything was oiled.. almost everything..
however I am stilling having very bad accuracy
however my gun never stopped on me.. however I didn't shoot that fast either
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by Wojofoo Wojofoo wrote:

Ok so here it is:
I have a compressed air tank with 1 1/2 psi left, yet the gun only seems to fire a few shots, than stops completely until you take the tank off, and than put it back on.. and so on. why?

This sounds like the actuator pin in the ASA is blocking the air passage in the tank regulator.  Try putting the tank on your marker, but not screwing it completely tight.  (Just put it on until you hear air go into the marker, then test fire it.)  After that, tighten it a half turn and repeat.

Velocity also seems to jump an extreme amount causing paintballs to be inaccurate even with a JJ barrel/ Compressed Air (50 or so feet away at times)

This info isn't really useful unless you specify whether the inconsistency is a lateral difference at the same range or if the range itself varies this much with each shot.

Two things I am thinking is the problem.
I am missing the front bolt o-ring.. Could this cause that many problems?

The o-ring could contribute to the inconsistency issue but it should not cause the marker to act like it's empty.

I have a 6 stage expansion chamber on (however, i don't want to remove the expansion chamber idea forever, cause co2 is common)

The expansion chamber could be part of the problem by restricting airflow, but I would try the thing with the tank (or a different tank) before removing it.
Thanks to all

Wojofoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wojofoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 10:22pm
This sounds like the actuator pin in the ASA is blocking the air passage in the tank regulator.  Try putting the tank on your marker, but not screwing it completely tight.  (Just put it on until you hear air go into the marker, then test fire it.)  After that, tighten it a half turn and repeat.
    ---I'll try this, but this seems difficult because of the on/off asa.. I guess ill mess with it some.

This info isn't really useful unless you specify whether the inconsistency is a lateral difference at the same range or if the range itself varies this much with each shot.
    ---It depends.. I have had it go way past the target, drop in front of the target, and curve to the side of the target.. basically just move everywhere.. HOWEVER IT IS MOSTLY CURVING TO THE SIDE
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 11:15pm
Regarding above:
  • Turn the on/off ASA to "on," then install the tank as directed in my first post.
  • What velocity are you shooting at?
Wojofoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wojofoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 11:25pm
Not that high... I haven't chrono it.. but the screw is about 1/4 the way out.. about 
Wojofoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wojofoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 11:25pm
And even with it only that far out.. it is shooting pretty hard 
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by Wojofoo Wojofoo wrote:

Not that high... I haven't chrono it.. but the screw is about 1/4 the way out.. about 

That means nothing.  The only way to have any clue what velocity you are shooting at is to use a chronograph.  The consistency problem could be a faulty barrel (which I doubt), it could be that you are firing at an excessively high velocity, or it could be something else entirely.  Without chronoing, there is no way to really narrow down the possible causes of the problem.
Wojofoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wojofoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 11:46pm
Grr if i only could, however i was thinking about switching the exapnsion chamber with a palmers. 
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 11:48pm
^^^ Really no point until you determine if the expansion chamber is actually part of the problem.
Wojofoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wojofoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2008 at 8:14am
Well the reason I was thinking of it.. is because I always hear people say it restricts HPA
so I figured it would help both co2 and HPA
Shame they look really un-comfortable as a handle
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic